Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Jack Sim the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 01:27 AM
This is to announce the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book.

Notice, I even changed the name of the book, so many of you called it the BIBLE my wife suggested it should be named that.

Presently the book is in the hands of the coordinator. That is what the person who puts the book together and gets it ready for the printer, is called. She has been working on it for almost a month.

Based on where she is in the book and how many pages it has taken it appears the book will be around 425-450 pages. Both the previous books were 352 pages. Here is what I did, changed, added, etc.

1. I removed everything that is not a gas pump or gas pump related. No more oil dispenser, no more globes, it is truly a gas pump bible. Don't throw away the old books, they show many oil dispenser, so if I don't write a book on them, they will have to do.

2. At the present time there is 2344 images in the new gas pump ID section.

3. 60 gas carts shown.

4. 24 pump lights shown.

5. 229 outside sight glasses shown

6. 21 unknown gas pump waiting for you to help me ID them.

7. A section listing all the known visibles and the cylinder sizes for them, if known.

8. The 2nd book had about 1900 images, all total, this new book has 2678 images, all gas pump related I believe this will be the largest book ever printed for this hobby. Yes, I did trim off the globes that were on the tops of the pumps in the book, this allowed me to enlarge the picture so you can get a better view of the pump, and since there is a very good globe book already written you can get a better picture of the globes from it.

9. Another small detail from the book. The book now encompasses approximately the years 1900 - 1975. By this time there were only four companies making pumps, so I showed the first digital pump they each made.

10. I haven't counted them, but I have identified at least 50 more companies that made a gas pump at one time.

This is what the cover looks like:

I am only announcing the book now, I am not accepting orders yet. It's the printing of the book that I am faces with. It is costing me much more than I expected. I have some money saved, but not enough to get the book printed. I am going to sell everything petro related I have to get at least a first printing done. As some of you know, I will be 83 years old in a few weeks and have too many projects, too many things that I really don't need. I will be posting many of them for sale on this site this weekend.
My intention was to have the book printed before "CTO" but that is not going to happen, my goal is now IOWA.

Thank you all for your support, and thank you all who let me use a picture of a pump you had.

Jack & Cindy Sim

Attached picture cover-jpeg021.jpg
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 01:39 AM
Thanks for all your hard work and the update Jack!
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 01:48 AM
Originally Posted by Coops 427
Thanks for all your hard work and the update Jack!

Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 01:52 AM
Is that the fantasy Bennett display case shown on the front cover that was made up by a guy here in Minnesota
a number of years ago????
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 02:45 AM
Ron,

If it is, it will be gone before the book is printed. I don't know where the picture came from. Thanks for the info.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Ron Scobie Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 02:47 AM
So much for the "Bible" reference...
Posted By: petropumps Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 07:15 AM
If you’re moving things around on the cover I’d shift that B38 back a decade as well.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 11:38 AM
Me want..
Posted By: BrianH Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 12:25 PM
Hi Jack,
Thanks for the update on the revised and expanded gas pump bible. Really looking forward to being able to own a copy. Thank you for all the time and research you've invested to put the book together.

BrianH
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 12:32 PM
This new book is sure to be a valuable tool for all pump collectors. Looking forward to getting my copy and reading it cover to cover.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 02:50 PM
Looking forward to another great book Jack! Thanks
Posted By: Done4 Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 03:21 PM
Thank you Jack for the update and your effort. Your book is a must have for collectors.
Posted By: AlbertaNorthStar Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 06:14 PM
Looks like a great book, I'll be ordering one once you get the first printing for sale! Good work!
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon May 28 2018 07:38 PM
Ron Scobie,

I thought I thanked you, what else do you want me to do?

Jack Sim
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue May 29 2018 01:09 AM
Can hardly wait for my copy or copies! Thanks Jack!
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue May 29 2018 04:16 AM
Cant wait for the book!!
Posted By: nochevys Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue May 29 2018 10:58 AM
Thanks for all the hard work. I can not wait until I can get a copy. I use the other 2 all the time.
Posted By: eshaver Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue May 29 2018 01:09 PM
Jack , I don't understand . You had Krause publish book #1 Checking just now , Krause did book 2 . OK , why is book # a self published deal ? Bob Lee went this route back in 1977 and it sure didn't bode well for him....
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Wed May 30 2018 04:51 PM
Looking forward to getting one, thanks.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Thu May 31 2018 12:12 AM
Krause declined printing the book. Said with all the book stores that are closing they didn't think the book would sell that well. I don't expect the book to sell as well as the first two did, but since I am putting up all the money I will be making more per book, and it will probably all come out the same.

Jack Sim
Posted By: tbuckles Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Thu May 31 2018 12:49 AM
Thank you so much for your efforts Jack. I can't imagine this edition not selling as well as the first two. For me alone I'll need one for the house, one for the shop, one for the truck, one for the swap meet crate, a few laid back for when the others wear out plus at least a dozen on hand for people stopping in to buy a pump.

Can't wait to get my eyes on one.

Tom.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Thu May 31 2018 02:56 AM
Originally Posted by eshaver
Jack , I don't understand . You had Krause publish book #1 Checking just now , Krause did book 2 . OK , why is book # a self published deal ? Bob Lee went this route back in 1977 and it sure didn't bode well for him....

Print book publishing has changed almost completely from the days when the first editions of Jack's gas pump books came out. Electronic books have taken over in mainstream publishing. Print book stores have been closing, more each year. Small volume books about collecting and hobbies have almost dried up. A bunch of publishers are out of business.

We are fortunate that Jack Sim is bucking the trend. He is taking on a project personally that the publishers just won't do like they used to.
Posted By: fast66 Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Thu May 31 2018 06:57 AM
Great to hear the book is coming along - can't wait!!
Thanks Jack!

//Claes
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Thu May 31 2018 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by Oldgas
Print book publishing has changed almost completely from the days when the first editions of Jack's gas pump books came out. Electronic books have taken over in mainstream publishing. Print book stores have been closing, more each year. Small volume books about collecting and hobbies have almost dried up. A bunch of publishers are out of business.
We are fortunate that Jack Sim is bucking the trend. He is taking on a project personally that the publishers just won't do like they used to.

Plus hobby price guides that list individual prices,become nearly obsolete the minute they hit the shelf.
Thanks to the internet,today's world of instant prices on nearly everything,fluctuates in both directions daily.
Good for Jack for doing this,as well as keeping the pricing number out of it.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jun 04 2018 01:21 AM
Tom Buckles,

Don't forget one for the bathroom where you do most of your reading.

Jack
Posted By: BrianH Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jun 18 2018 04:39 PM
Hey Jack,
You mentioned having to sell off most of your collection to finance the printing of this book. Have you instead considered doing a pre-sell? Sounds like a bunch of guys on here (myself included) plan to buy the book. If we are all willing to put up the money in advance (and I would), it would help defer your publishing expenses and not create so much up-front financial hardship from having to raise capital. We all want the book and I bet the majority of guys on here would be willing to pony up the funds in advance to make sure the book gets printed. Just a thought....

Thanks,
BrianH
Posted By: Done4 Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jun 18 2018 05:07 PM
Good idea Brain, I'm in if Jack decides to do this.
Posted By: trifiver Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jun 18 2018 05:10 PM
Same Here I'm in also

Thanks Sid
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jun 18 2018 05:25 PM
Jack, I'm not a gas pump guy (other than really tiny ones!) but I'd pre-buy one because I appreciate what you and the other veteran members do for this site and the old gas community.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jun 18 2018 05:49 PM
Well paying even a deposit on something that hasn't been produced yet is bad business. I got in early on a drum clip shotgun many years ago that never came to production. I'm still waiting on my money back.
But I have faith in Jack and his book ,I would be in also.
Posted By: BryceG Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jun 18 2018 06:21 PM
will there be a digital version available, similar to the last version (via Amazon Kindle)? i use your 2nd version on my phone all the time.
Posted By: eshaver Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jun 18 2018 10:53 PM
Krause declined printing the book. Said with all the book stores that are closing they didn't think the book would sell that well. I don't expect the book to sell as well as the first two did, but since I am putting up all the money I will be making more per book, and it will probably all come out the same.

Jack Sim

Jack, I STILL want a printed copy and if possible , signed by you . Just let me know where to send a Money order .
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jun 19 2018 12:22 AM
I am in for a pre-pay if it helps.
Posted By: Bass Master Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jun 19 2018 01:57 AM
Jack,
Count me in also.
Brian
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jun 19 2018 03:29 AM
Pre-paying has crossed my mind, but I really don't want to do that. My plans are the day the book goes to the printer I will announce I am taking orders. Thanks for offering, I appreciate the trust from all of you.

Small details:

We have arranged financing, not enough, but it will get us started with the printing.
There will be no wholesaling of the book, I will be the only seller.
My goal is to have the book with me when I go to Iowa Gas.
Forgot to mention this when I posted what the book will include. It will also have an appendix, this will have details about a pump or a pump series that is too large for the picture page, a lot more info to help identify a pump.

Thanks again,

Jack
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jun 19 2018 04:31 AM
Jack I can't wait. Thanks for all you do.
Posted By: we're the other guys Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jun 19 2018 01:37 PM
Jack ,I am not going to Iowa Gas can we put our name on a list? You will be posting on Old Gas won't you. I would like to buy one.
Posted By: BrianH Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Wed Jun 20 2018 09:10 PM
No problem Jack. Just trying to think of creative financing options to help you get the book printed.

Thanks,
BrianH
Posted By: Old Racer Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Thu Jun 21 2018 10:07 AM
Jack do you have a target price yet for the book?
I think you will need someone to help you fill all the orders, at least for the first couple of months.
Thanks for all your efforts.
Posted By: The_QS Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Fri Jun 22 2018 02:10 AM
Thank you Jack for everything! I’m new here on oldgas but have used both of your previous books before. I will be buying multiple of the new book.

Thanks!
Posted By: pkhammer Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Sat Jun 23 2018 11:40 PM
I'm in for a copy. Looking forward to it!
Posted By: chevy3535 Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Sun Jun 24 2018 01:00 AM
Thanks Jack...I'm good for 3 books...can't wait to get it.
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Sun Jun 24 2018 01:55 AM
Even though I will be announcing the book here and sending you to a webpage where all the info about ordering will be, I have made it a policy not to use the emails that are here on OG. I have always asked that you just send me a email that states "Add my email address to the list."

Jack
Posted By: denismc Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Sun Jun 24 2018 02:17 AM
Hi Jack, i have been trying to reach you a few times on “jhsim@petrocollect.com” but i am getting no response. Is this email valid? In my last email, there is info concerning an error possibly in your pump book. Would be good to correct it in your new one. Denis
Posted By: denismc Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Sun Jun 24 2018 02:18 AM
What email do i use to be put on the list?
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jun 25 2018 05:24 PM
My email address is jhsim@petrocollect.com is correct for anything, questions, suggestions and request to be put on the email list for the new book.

If something is not working, my phone number is 314-427-3943.

Please note, I have almost completely lost my hearing due to my service during the Korean era, so I have a caption phone, but it is a little slow, but it does work, thanks to the VA.

Thanks,

Jack
Posted By: Rjhart123 Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jun 26 2018 10:44 PM
I would also like to order a copy when ready
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Wed Jun 27 2018 05:15 AM
Rjhart113,

Two things, your profile does not include your email address, and actually I reframe on using emails here on OG. I request you send me an email and I will add your name to the list who wish to be notified when the book is ready to be ordered.

My email is jhsim@petrocollect.com

Just request your name to be added to the list of those whose are interested in buying the book.

I already own a website: www.gaspumpbible.com But, but, but it is not active yet. My plans are to send you all an email telling you to go to that site. On it will be all the information about the book, and it will explain everything about how to order the book. Mostly it will explain how to order the book;
one copy shipped priority
one copy shipped media
one copy + one copy of my air book priority
one copy + one copy of my air book media
Etc.

For larger orders we will be asking you to notify us what you want and we will give you the amount, based on the lowest shipping cost we can find.

Over the years we have sold thousands of dollars of ECO parts, but we have never padded the shipping cost, it is just not our nature.

While this borders over to being a business, we (Cindy and I) treat this a a hobby.

Jack & Cindy Sim
Posted By: Route66Ron Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Mon Jul 02 2018 09:39 PM
Jack ,

I'd like to add a thank you Jack, for all the effort and passion you have for this hobby. You are as unique and special as the gas pumps you write about. Count me in for a couple of the new book. Ron
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jul 03 2018 12:00 AM
Ron,

Send me your email address and I will add your name to the list.

jhsim@petrocollect.com

Thanks,

Jack Sim
Posted By: Young's Union Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jul 03 2018 02:07 PM
I just sent you an email to reserve me a copy. thank Jim
Posted By: Route66Ron Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Wed Jul 04 2018 02:00 PM
Jack,
Email is : buckanddoe@yahoo.com Thanks and Happy 4 th. Ron
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Wed Jul 04 2018 05:09 PM
Jack, I'd like three copies. paulhittle@juno.com [email] ......... web site ......... www.severngaspumps.com Thanks, Paul
Posted By: puregas Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Thu Jul 05 2018 03:50 AM
Ron and Paul,
Jack has posted multiple times to send him an email requesting a copy so that he has your email. You may have done this already. For anyone else who might send an email but also wants to post that they want a copy, I think it would save Jack quite a bit of reply time to post "email sent".
Pat
Posted By: aajf Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Thu Jul 05 2018 04:23 AM
Jack,

Thanks for your dedication. I would love a copy when it's ready. Thanks, Andrew
Posted By: jkyocom Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jul 24 2018 01:04 AM
Jack,
My Grandfather told me this Wilson "Gasboy" was on the farm when he bought it in 1957,
No info on your site about it, not in your last book.
The Tag & Dial Face says "Rotoboy" but the nozzle has GASBOY embossed on it.
I hoped you snagged a pic......oh well............
Joe

Attached picture gasboy.jpg
Posted By: jkyocom Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Jul 24 2018 01:05 AM
You did want pics with no clutter right?
Hose from "The House Of Scobie" cool
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Wed Jul 25 2018 07:02 PM
Sorry, but the book is finished and is being printed at the present time. Cannot add anything to the book. I save all the pictures I get, but at age 83 I don't know if there will be another book. Thanks for the picture. More information about buying the book will be posted soon.

Jack
Posted By: sterling P. Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Thu Jul 26 2018 12:03 AM
Jack I just sent you an email to reserve a copy of your new book. Thanks Sterling
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Fri Feb 14 2020 09:23 PM
Please move this, I was trying to put it in the For Sale with Prices.

Jack
Posted By: Chad Diviney Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Feb 18 2020 03:01 PM
Thank you for all the time and energy that you have put into this book for fellow collectors. We are all looking forward to seeing it published Jack.
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: the "GAS PUMP BIBLE" book - Tue Feb 18 2020 03:38 PM
Chad, The book has already been published. You can order it at https://gaspumpbible.com/ I have a copy and recommend it
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk