Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: GMan37 Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Thu Jul 13 2017 04:17 PM
I posted in Sept 2016 asking for advice on my father's Texaco Marine Motor Oil sign. He decided to let Morphy's Auctions handle his collection at an auction in February. The sign "sold" at the auction but the winning bidder could not come up with the funds and my Dad was unwilling to let it go to the next highest bidder. He recently asked that I post the sign here to try and sell it.

Morphy's rated the sign a 9.5 out of 10. My dad is asking $15K OBO. If you have any questions, please let me know.

Attached picture Marine_Motor_Oil_Side_1.jpg
Attached picture MM_Oil Side 2.jpg
Attached picture MM_Oil Date side 1.jpg
Attached picture MM_Oil boat side 2.jpg
Posted By: GMan37 Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Thu Jul 13 2017 04:19 PM
Here are some additional photos.

Attached picture MM_Oil grommet.jpg
Attached picture MM_Oil Ship side 1.jpg
Attached picture MM_Oil Texaco insignia side 1.jpg
Attached picture MM_Oil Ship side 1.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Thu Jul 13 2017 06:23 PM
key piece, condition/rarity there .. ... cool
Posted By: GMan37 Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Fri Jul 14 2017 11:30 AM
I stand corrected. Morphy's rated the sign a 9.75, not a 9.5. Here is a screenshot from the Auction catalog. Morphy's said of this sign "This is probably one of the best examples we have sold".

Attached picture morphys.jpg
Posted By: minuteman Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Sat Jul 15 2017 02:58 AM
So what was the selling price at Morphys?
Posted By: GILMORE Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Sat Jul 15 2017 03:44 AM
13.5+ fees, Kim...

Sucks that the 'winner' didn't pay up, gman37. Nice sign...
Posted By: thebmwjunkie Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Thu Jul 20 2017 05:47 PM
Another example, in lesser condition, just popped up on ebay for $14.5k. Great signs, way out of my price range!
Posted By: gameon Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Thu Jul 27 2017 05:26 PM
I walked away from the same sign for $1800 that I feared was a repo, and in comparison to yours I'm glad I did. Nice sign.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Mon Jul 31 2017 12:35 AM
so at 13,500 it was a no sale at morphys ?
Posted By: Markymark63 Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Mon Jul 31 2017 05:34 AM
[quote=redindianguy] so at 13,500 it was a no sale at morphys ? [/quote]

No, the sign sold for 13.5 but the winner did not end up paying for it.
Posted By: Badlands Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Mon Jul 31 2017 05:35 AM
NOT what he said, he said "buyer couldn't come up with the funds." I did not know that was an option in a sale such as Morphy's but, it is how it was worded.. SUCKS for the seller that someone bid it up and couldn't pay...
Posted By: Markymark63 Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Tue Aug 01 2017 04:50 AM
WOW! Very confused here, can you please explain to me what the difference is between "the winner did not end up paying for it" and "buyer couldn't come up with the funds." I guess all the new languages out there I may have missed something.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Texaco Marine Motor Oil Sign - Tue Aug 01 2017 05:24 AM
Originally Posted By Markymark63
WOW! Very confused here, can you please explain to me what the difference is between "the winner did not end up paying for it" and "buyer couldn't come up with the funds." I guess all the new languages out there I may have missed something.

Don't be confused. I think Badlands is saying the same thing as you.
If you look at the time stamp you guys just replied at the same time. You were both replying to the previous posts, I don't think he was responding to YOUR post. Winner=buyer=guy who didn't pay.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk