Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Newpumpguy71 Tokheim 423 Lubester - Wed Apr 29 2015 09:46 PM
Selling my original Tokheim 423 Lubester. Unit is complete with measuring rulers, wooden pump handles, tank lids and sightglasses. Very nice piece. Price is $1500 firm.

Attached picture Lube1.gif
Attached picture Lube2.gif
Attached picture Lube3.gif
Attached picture Lube4.gif
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Tokheim 423 Lubester - Thu Apr 30 2015 12:21 AM
Nice piece. I have one done in Deep Rock Air Race that I've posted on Oldgas before but I always thought mine was a 340. Does yours have a tag on it that says it's a 423? I just matched it up with the one in Jack's book. Not that it really matters, I was just curious .....GB
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Tokheim 423 Lubester - Thu Apr 30 2015 12:10 PM
...I was very happy to get one of these with the wheeled dolly a while back...had to haul it home from Columbus, roped at a 45-degree angle in the back of my van, as it was too tall to stand up straight!

...check the sides of the pumps - mine have 'G R CO' cast into the iron, for 'Gulf Refining Company'...
Posted By: J, Micieli Re: Tokheim 423 Lubester - Thu Apr 30 2015 08:55 PM
pm me!
Posted By: Rabbitman Re: Tokheim 423 Lubester - Fri May 01 2015 02:03 AM
I think all of those had the GRCO on them that were made in that era Mark. Mine has that and I've seen several more and they did too. I always heard that Gulf bought a big order from them and they made a bunch of castings with the grco on them and sold them that way to other companies. Don't know if that's a true analogy or not....GB
Posted By: ocsid Re: Tokheim 423 Lubester - Wed Jun 29 2016 12:37 AM
Great looking Lubester,

I have one in almost identical condition, Can somebody tell me if they should have had, what i think may be refered to as "Lubester Toppers" almost right beside the sight glasses ?

Thanks , larry
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Tokheim 423 Lubester - Wed Jun 29 2016 06:00 AM
Every time Tokheim came out with a new product they created what they called a "Bulletin." I have over 500 original Tokheim Bulletins.
The earliest Bulletin showing this unit is Bulletin 204 and the unit is Cut 330 (dated March, 1924). This Bulletin was made up for Gulf as the picture shows the unit in Gulf colors, but it shows the unit having four wheels on the bottom.

Now Bulletin 205, the next Bulletin shows the exact same unit, but in a green generic color, it is dated again March, 1924. In other words, the same unit that had a Bulletin directed to the Gulf distributors, was offered to anyone who wanted to buy one. The thing about this is that it was also called the Cut 330.

For some reason, in 1925 Tokheim again came out with Bulletin 216, again the Cut 340 in Gulf colors. Again with four wheels.

In Bulletin 225 (February, 1926), Tokheim now shows the unit with three tanks, it was the Cut 353 and the color was the generic color, green.

In August, 1926 ,(Bulletin 233) the 3 tank unit is now shown in Gulf Colors, now called the Cut 440.

In another Bulletin, also called the 233 (August, 1926) the three tank unit is shown in generic green, with wheels.

Now in September, 1926, the Cut 423 shows up. It is a two tank unit, on wheels and shown in generic green colors, it is Bulletin 234.

According to my Bulletins, the 423 was the last dispenser offered by Tokheim with the glass cylinders.

No piece of Tokheim literature shows any of these units with toppers, these were attached by the oil companies, not by Tokheim.

I apologize for putting this information is a post where you are trying to sell an item. I only posted this information because I have seen these units come up for discussion and very little correct information is offered. I suggest each of you collectors start a loose leaf where you post this type of information. I do not intend to write a book on oil dispensers as I don't think it would sell enough copies to cover the cost of printing, so this post might be the closest information on these cylinder top oil dispenser you might find.

Again, I apologize, nice unit, especially with the original glass cylinders.

Jack Sim
Posted By: ocsid Re: Tokheim 423 Lubester - Wed Jun 29 2016 11:01 AM
Thanks Jack,
i find your post extremely informative and interesting

Again, Thanks, larry
Posted By: J@J antique pump Re: Tokheim 423 Lubester - Sun Jul 03 2016 09:35 PM
very fair price . and a great piece to restore , I wish I was closer ,Just love it good luck Jay
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk