Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: nextxgas 1930-40S DBLE SIDE PORCELAIN HARLEY DAVIDSON SIGN! - Tue Mar 19 2013 01:21 PM
Hello. got this Original 1930-40s era Harley davidson sign.. I have spoken to many people and they say this sign..has a couple dings and such..but harley porcelain so rare. and double sided. got it from a guy in massachusetts, regardless. make offers...a similar sign sold a few years ago for $7,000. also, larger signs of this era sells for $30-50k. so, I am open to offers...also, any help to put up some pictures would be appreciated. thank you . you can email me at masterrichardan@gmail.com thanks from NH
hello...sorry all. the dimesions are 42inches x 9inches...nice size!
Very cool sign. Would love to have that one. Curious about the age. Anyone know? I've got a 1980 shovelhead that uses the same style graffics on the tank emblem.

Attached picture IMG_20130319_105917.jpg
I had a lot of people judge the logo. all worked it towards early 40s. or even knucklehead era.... 36-39...as it is older porcelain..and alot of porcelain signs generally stopped after 60s. again..cool sign.
It's mid-early 40's.
Posted By: nebrgas Re: 1930-40S DBLE SIDE PORCELAIN HARLEY DAVIDSON SIGN! - Tue Mar 19 2013 04:44 PM
Why not put an asking price on it? Dave
okay...well, I think $8k is a good start point..i am open to all offers.
Just Sold my 1950 18x61inch tin original Oilzum sign..let me know your offers on this rare piece of americana!
thanks
Richard
Wow! That's a sweet sign!
Thanks alot...its really nice..Couldnt believe it when i got my hands on it..such a rare find...
Does it have any sign makers markings? I've been asking everyone I know and every Harley collector I know trying to sell this thing for you and they all say Harley never used the word "distributor" on a sign. And that its more than likely an 80s-90s made sign.
That is the 36'-39' "speedball" design used on knucklehead. I would like like to see a period photo showing this sign. Dave
PS My grandfather was a motorcycle cop from 1927-1951 in Birmingham, AL.

Attached picture $(KGrHqJHJBEE63St8kVJBO5WlzfQ(w~~60_35.JPG
Posted By: BryceG Re: 1930-40S DBLE SIDE PORCELAIN HARLEY DAVIDSON SIGN! - Thu Mar 21 2013 11:37 AM
just an fyi, I have inquired with the seller of the sign, just through a few emails. He told me there are no makers marks and he said he cant find the documentation he thought he had showing what sign it was and from what period, etc. It may never be known whether its period or not... best bet would be to get it to a sign company that actually has experience in manufacturing porcelain signs, they might be able to tell the period.
...I was troubled by the font used for 'Harley-Davidson' on the sign - it just didn't jibe with the rest of the sign...and it certainly doesn't look anything like the one used on the decals Catauladave posted...it makes no sense to me that Harley would have inconsistent graphics that late in their marketing...the first thing I thought when I saw it was that someone had copied the bottom text from another sign...

...I'm pretty sure that Harley-Davidson has a corporate archives - and that there's no dearth of late 1930's-early 40's photographs, dealer pubs, etc., that would show this sign if it is from that period...but I don't think it is...
Hello all thanks for all replies..its definitley older porcelain...as I got many opiniona here as well..but all experts here point to 1930-40s range. Again regardless its still a awesome nice size sign. If you have offers willing to take offers thanks everyone
I was waiting for you to "chime in". For what it is worth...I have never seen this sign in any early Harley photographs. Harley has a fantastic collection of all the early machines and I would think memorabilia as well. This saga will be interesting. Dave

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US/Content/Pages/HD_Museum/explore/archives.html
Hello dave...yes...haha..either way..I love it..but got another tin harley sign. and theres other items on my wish list now. so, again..willing to take offers. thanks all..either way. its fun hobby and looking forward to continue to meet new folks....dave, did you see the Oilzum sign in petro i just sold..? that was a awesome sign..kind of regret that i let it go
Posted By: Carl Re: 1930-40S DBLE SIDE PORCELAIN HARLEY DAVIDSON SIGN! - Thu Mar 21 2013 01:52 PM
Food for thought...any time a repro or fantasy porcelain sign has surfaced there are always more of the same sign surfacing also. Also a "porcelain" sign manufacturer from today could not date it unless they were the one that made it. I have a friend who had one of 2 or 3 cobalt blue and white 1890s "Wheelmen" Coca Cola signs that sold for about 20,000.00 about 15 years ago or so. All 2 or 3 of these surfaced about the same time so his was tested by carbon dating and was found to be new and a fantasy sign is what I understood.
interesting food...appreciated...
still a cool looking sign
though.
Posted By: BryceG Re: 1930-40S DBLE SIDE PORCELAIN HARLEY DAVIDSON SIGN! - Thu Mar 21 2013 02:29 PM
well there ya go Richard... a sign with an asking price like you have, it might be worth paying to have it carbon dated. with confirmation papers from a reputable company, I would imagine it would add very significant value to the sign than selling without.

(if I owned the sign, I would surely look into it)
Posted By: Carl Re: 1930-40S DBLE SIDE PORCELAIN HARLEY DAVIDSON SIGN! - Thu Mar 21 2013 03:25 PM
The coca cola sign was carbon dated at no charge at a college as a class project if I remember correctly. Carbon dating is expensive if you have it done professionally.
That was a nice piece. I'm just a poor old retired public servant(educator) and that was a high dollar piece well out of my price range...but I appreciate quality and you letting us have a shot at it.
The Harley sign is a nice sign also. Age is the troubling factor here. You are going to see more and more "questionable" items pop up as the reproduction process becomes easier and prices escalate on the originals.
Good hunting,
Dave
I have a letter from John Adams dated JAN. 18 1815 and it is written on front and back . I found it folded up in an old book I got from a letter collector. He says its real. the paper is correct for that period but I took it to try and have it carbon dated and was told you can only come within a few hundred years, carbon dating is for very old items.Just looked it up again to be sure and several sites say don't even try it on items less than 150 years old.
OH...Thanks for the tip!! that makes alot of sense...actually..so, even the 1890s piece...that was being carbon dated by college kids project..was lucky they got it done...well..it is what it is..and thanks for the current offers folks.
Check with the museum. They WILL know. They have seen it all. I posted the link earlier.
Dave
Posted By: Carl Re: 1930-40S DBLE SIDE PORCELAIN HARLEY DAVIDSON SIGN! - Thu Mar 21 2013 06:11 PM
Might have been "thermolumenesence" dating process instead. Not sure on that either. This was hear say on my behalf.
ahh...ok...interesting..regardless...but thanks for the views..and hope everyone enjoys seeing the piece....Richard
Posted By: kwilal Re: 1930-40S DBLE SIDE PORCELAIN HARLEY DAVIDSON SIGN! - Thu Mar 21 2013 09:13 PM
Sorry, but I'm leaning towards fake. Not an all out expert on Harley stuff but know more than most, been collecting it almost 40 years. First off I can't see Harley using the 36-39 era tank insignias with the Harley-Davidson name removed, they just didn't do things like that. Second, where is the dash between the words Harley and Davidson? I've got Harley memorabilia dating from the 20's up to last week and EVERY one of them has the dash between the two words, Harley-Davidson, without exception. I have never seen it any other way from the factory. Call Milwaukee and see what they say.
Ken
Good point about the dash. Without that you have one name instead of two.
Dave
Hello..that is a good point about the dash....but, you never know...i am trying to find the background on the sign right now...from the previous owner...a while ago...that should help..he is a old timer.
The museum archives would be the definitive answer for me. If the sign was from the 80's...it would still be 30+ years old. Good luck and keep us posted.
Dave
Originally Posted By: Notchcad
Does it have any sign makers markings? I've been asking everyone I know and every Harley collector I know trying to sell this thing for you and they all say Harley never used the word "distributor" on a sign. And that its more than likely an 80s-90s made sign.

I showed this to my Dad, which I consider him a Expert in the Antique motorcycle field as he has owned tons of Harley and Indian Memorabilia along with tons of Motorcycles and is still very active in the Hobby. He said the same thing about the word "Distributor" he said it should say Dealer, he said he would steer clear of it.
Dash between names, Fonts used,use of the word distributor instead of dealer...Too many red flags. One more curious thing...would involve shape and potential use. It would appear to be a rectangular, sidewalk sign with mounting holes in the graphics/letters? Odd
Dave
Well..again..appreciate the info folks....good information..i shall keep posted. on getting a response from the old timer..thanks again all...
Pick up the phone call owner of wheels through time-in Maggie Valley NC. He can tell you good sign or you been had. Asking the money your asking you need someone in your court. Or better still call Harley as Dave suggested.

Otherwise just wait for someone to latch on to your oldtimer story and step up too the plate.
Who knows maybe your right everyone...regardless.. I don't have much into it...I would do $4k. Thanks all
I sent you an email. I dug in some of the Harley books I have and found a nice picture of the logo used back in the mid-late 30s. It matches yours except for the colors are darker and there is the dash.
Was it on a sign or tank decal?
Dave
Originally Posted By: TheRoyalCrown
I sent you an email. I dug in some of the Harley books I have and found a nice picture of the logo used back in the mid-late 30s. It matches yours except for the colors are darker and there is the dash.

...it would be a good idea to post the photo here so we all can see it...
I believe that the decal(I posted earlier) was the last one used before Harley went to the metal emblems in 1940. It would also seem strange that Harley would use a tank decal(they changed every couple of years) on a porcelain sign that was meant to last a much longer period through many model changes. Dave
And as I had mentioned earlier, they used that same tank decal, or AMF did, in 1980. But again this has the dash in it.

Attached picture 565174056_oc.jpg
Hello all..thank you for all your input..the sign is OFFICIALLY SOLD.!!
Originally Posted By: Esse's Garage
Originally Posted By: Notchcad

I showed this to my Dad, which I consider him a Expert in the Antique motorcycle field as he has owned tons of Harley and Indian Memorabilia along with tons of Motorcycles and is still very active in the Hobby. He said the same thing about the word "Distributor" he said it should say Dealer, he said he would steer clear of it.

can y9ou pls check out my Harley sign in non petro showcase came off a Canadian Harley dealer would like to date my email is redindianguy@hotmail.com
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk