Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: minuteman Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Mon Sep 10 2007 06:30 AM
Selling this 12 inch porcelain pump sign....NOT perfect as you can see from the pictures...but then its not 12 grand either...you could leave as is or get it restored...sold... thank you..mm

[This message has been edited by minuteman (edited 09-13-2007).]
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 02:15 AM
Thats a fair price, the last rough one i had that i had restored brought an even 10K and the owner couldnt be happier........Les
Posted By: powerlube Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 02:50 PM
I wish I had one in ANY condition.
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 03:45 PM
My memory isnt the best but 7 or 8 years ago a restored one that had a few bullet holes fixed amoung other things brought between 3 and 4K on ebay and thats the only one ive seen sell there.........Les
Posted By: Pablo Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 09:35 PM
These prices sound a little high. From Aumann Auctions sale of Roy Reed's collection...

Grizzly (Dubbs Cracked) Gasoline PPP, 12 inches, rated 9, 2 inch chip at 7 o'clock along edge, excellent gloss $6,325 ($5,750 plus 10% buyer's premium)
Posted By: thermactor Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 10:25 PM
How does a 12 inch sign with a 2 inch chip rate a 9?

Wes
Posted By: Pablo Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 11:31 PM
Re: "How does a 12 inch sign with a 2 inch chip rate a 9?"

Probably because it was a only thin chip just along the edge. Nice sign, check it out...

My question is how can a creased, twisted and otherwise severely damaged sign be "worth" $2,000?? More power to him if he gets it!!
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 11:33 PM
This category is for "For Sale or Trade" Not "What you think is wrong with my stuff" If MM wants $2K, he can ask that, if you think its too much, don't buy it! You wonder why we have almost 7000 members and only a handfull post..........
Posted By: Pablo Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 11:41 PM
No, I don't "wonder" anything. And all the commentary has been between subsequent posters, NOT the seller. So, what's the problem??
Posted By: Pogo's Garage Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 11:48 PM
The problem is knocking what is being offered for sale is bad for business, and not what this category was intended for.
Posted By: st.rod Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Tue Sep 11 2007 11:52 PM
Thanks Lance, Could not have said it better.

Say something nice or say nothing at all!

An EXTREMELY RARE sign. Thanks for posting it MM

LARRY
Posted By: Pablo Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Wed Sep 12 2007 12:27 AM
Hey, as I stated..."More power to him if he gets it"!!
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Wed Sep 12 2007 12:31 AM
I would think some of the rust staining on this sigh might clean off. Like MM said, not perfect but not 12G'a also. The one I saw sell at Iowa Gas this year was nicer but it went for a lot more money than the asking price on this one.
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Wed Sep 12 2007 01:22 AM
i appreciate the posting of the Grizzly pump plate as i learned a lot from this posting..

i appreciate your input also Pablo, keep it up & i'll keep being educated.......
Posted By: dodogas Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Wed Sep 12 2007 01:55 AM
Looks ike a sign with 80 % porcelain on it.. now if it was 20% then it would be a different story..
Posted By: Pablo Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Wed Sep 12 2007 02:09 AM
Well, I was going to let it go but it seems people still want to yap about this sign. From the looks of it, by the time somebody straightens out the bends and creases (if possible) then half the procelain will be gone or destroyed. That turns it into a total restoration vs. a touch-up or partial restoration. Finished product...a repop sign on a genuine piece of steel. IMO I'm outta here.....
Posted By: dodogas Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Wed Sep 12 2007 02:14 AM
OBVIOUSLY you have never seen a porcelain sign get re-cooked.. till you have I would not say what you just said..
Posted By: st.rod Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Wed Sep 12 2007 02:22 AM
LETS GET THIS BACK TO 'FOR SALE OR TRADE'!

NOT OPINIONS ON WHAT ONE HAS TO SELL!!!!!

LARRY
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Wed Sep 12 2007 02:40 AM
My understanding was he was asking 2K. if anyone wanted to discuss the price it seems it was negotiable at least, maybe not. If you or i am not interested let it go......wait for the next item that may be a bargain and move on..........Les
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Wed Sep 12 2007 02:55 AM
Wow.

We wonder at the lack of posts anymore............

But really, thanks for showing us this sign. It's cool. Hope you get what your looking for.
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 12:08 AM
I'm glad everyone has had their say and am pleased to say I purchased the sign and Kim is a great guy and gave me a good deal. You snooze...you lose. I think I did well and will be pleased to display the sign
Ray
Posted By: powerlube Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 12:52 AM
Way to go Ray!
Posted By: SuperAmerica Man Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 12:56 AM
Congrats Ray!
Apparently it does have some value...Its sure as h@ll better than the one I don't have.

Kim

(different kim)

------------------
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 02:02 AM
Good to see you step up Ray, If i didnt already have a better one i would own it myself. Congrads.you could look for a long time and never get another shot at one.......Les
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 02:26 AM
I have mentioned this last year, but this topic calls for me to mention it again.

This is the For Sale or Trade category. It shows disrespect for the seller to criticize his item for sale and/or his asking price within his selling topic. Any discussion like that will not be tolerated on the For Sale forum.

I can certainly understand if minuteman would take the comments personally and if others would be apprehensive about offering their items for sale here.

minuteman, you have my apology for not cutting this topic off sooner. I'm relieved that you were able to sell your sign to another Oldgas Shop Talk member.

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: dodogas Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 03:01 AM
This happened in the last ten years or at least that is when I heard it..

I was looking for Indian Motorcycle parts and talked to a guy in Northern Montana. I happened to mention that I was looking for gas and oil stuff. He said you should have seen the cool sign I had.. said he found a Grizzly pump plate at a garage sale for like 25 or 50 bucks, then sold it for 125.00!!

I kept thinking about that figuring it might be worth a G note or more, so finally I phoned him back. I said any chance on getting the sign back, I would probably pay hundred for it. He said no the guy wont part with it!! I am thinking he maybe already tried..

Anyway, thought you might want to hear a Grizzly story.. wonder who did get it???
Posted By: Chad Haas Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 05:25 AM
I'm sure this has been answered here before, but what the dilio does "Dubbs Cracked" mean??

It sounds like East LA lingo for an illegal cigarette.
Posted By: Gary Drye Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 09:11 AM
Congrats Ray. That is a sign very few collectors will ever own. And Kim, I love your anology about it. "Apparently it does have some value...Its sure as h@ll better than the one I don't have."

Without sounding hypocritical, especially after posting the other day about two ebay auctions, I seriously thought about buying this sign. Being "signs" is the only similarity between those two and this one. If I wasn't paying rent for an apartment in Manhattan, NY (long story), this sign would be headed to Tn. instead of Cal. LOL
Congtats again Ray.
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 11:30 AM
I don't know what Dubbs cracking is, but thermal cracking is how crude is/was seperated into the various fluids ....oil,gas,naptha, diesel,tar,etc.
Maybe it is the Dubbs Method of thermal cracking?

[This message has been edited by jkyocom (edited 09-13-2007).]
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 12:53 PM
Dubbs cracked means it was refined using the NEW at the time cracking process developed by a fellow named Dubbs. It was used by a lot of refineries then but grizzly seemed to really push the idea.Ive seem ads touting the dubbs cracking system used by other companies also. Mostly small west coast cos...........Les
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Thu Sep 13 2007 09:05 PM
Some early comments in the topic were deleted

------------------
Jim "Oldgas" Potts
Your host and moderator
Posted By: tomzcollectiblez Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Fri Sep 14 2007 09:37 PM
This sign is being reproduced!!! BEWARE!
Here is the link... http://cgi.ebay.com/OLD-GRIZZLY-GASOLINE...1QQcmdZViewItem
I will add it to the repo section!

------------------
Posted By: jkyocom Re: Grizzlygas Pump Sign - Sat Sep 15 2007 01:46 AM
They forgot to beat out the screwholes,
I guess this is where the price definitly gives it away
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk