Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Mattgas Peotone Auction starts today - Thu Feb 28 2013 12:23 PM
Here is the link to the Peotone Auctions starting today at 6:00 pm.

Auction Catalogs
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Thu Feb 28 2013 12:48 PM
Can't make it that far North this time, but just went in and placed alot of bids........ :-)
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Thu Feb 28 2013 04:37 PM
Quote from Proxibid
"PLEASE READ: At the request of the auction company, this auction permits bids to be placed by the auctioneer, an employee of the auctioneer, or the seller or an agent on the seller's behalf. While Proxibid's Unified User Agreement prohibits this behavior, in accordance with UCC 2-328, this auction is permitted to engage in this activity by providing this clear disclosure to you, the bidder.
PLEASE READ: This auction company has requested and been granted access to see all bids placed including any maximum pre-bids. This auction is permitted to engage in this activity by providing this clear disclosure to you, the bidder."

This seems to me to be a conflict of interest.Auction company gets commission from the seller and a commission from buyer,but also allow to bid. My view at the Very lease this is putting a Reserve on Some items or maybe All items.

Would like to know if the Auction Company would care to Respond??
Posted By: Mattgas Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Thu Feb 28 2013 05:26 PM
All items are sold absolute at my auction.

IF YOU DO NOT TRUST ME THEN IT IS YOUR RIGHT NOT TO BID.

We have not change anything that we do at Matthews Auction.

Proxibid change their terms late last year and we did not know what we were agreeing to. These terms will not be on our Proxibid page starting with the CTO auction.

If you have any question call Dan at 217-259-7059.
Posted By: philmccauley Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Thu Feb 28 2013 09:39 PM
I have known Dan for years and he has always been a stand up guy.
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Thu Feb 28 2013 10:09 PM
Originally Posted By: philmccauley
I have known Dan for years and he has always been a stand up guy.

Well I have also,but I'm only reading what the disclaimer says Phil!!

Thank you for the response Dan.
Posted By: oillease55 Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Thu Feb 28 2013 11:25 PM
I won't be bidding. ;;;;;;;Ron Lease-Collector.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Fri Mar 01 2013 04:16 AM
Sounds like some folks on here have never been to a live auction before. There are several situations where it's completely appropriate for the auctioner or his employees to bid during an auction. Some buyers prefer to bid via telephone during an auction, and others who don't have reliable, high speed internet connections may choose to leave absentee bids. In both cases, the auctioneer or his employees bid for these buyers.

All states licence auctioneers and the profession has a code of ethics they must adhere to. Accepting/placing fictitious bids during an auction is unethical and would eventually lead to a license suspension. Besides, doing it on a regular basis will result in the auctioneer buying a bunch of stuff for his own account, which isn't the business they're in.

Richard
Posted By: roadrelics Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Fri Mar 01 2013 12:59 PM
lot of great stuff here & I'll be bidding.....Dan has always been great, treats people with respect and dignity and gets it back from me. i really don't care about much else and will only bid what i can afford, if i don't get it,oh well, another may come along tommorrow....he will even deliver it to a show...customer service is the best!!!
Posted By: pollyman Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Fri Mar 01 2013 06:58 PM
Prices seem to be super strong today in my opinion. Bid on 12 items and didn't even come close. Some really great signs!
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Sat Mar 02 2013 01:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Pegasus
Sounds like some folks on here have never been to a live auction before. There are several situations where it's completely appropriate for the auctioner or his employees to bid during an auction. Some buyers prefer to bid via telephone during an auction, and others who don't have reliable, high speed internet connections may choose to leave absentee bids. In both cases, the auctioneer or his employees bid for these buyers.

All states licence auctioneers and the profession has a code of ethics they must adhere to. Accepting/placing fictitious bids during an auction is unethical and would eventually lead to a license suspension. Besides, doing it on a regular basis will result in the auctioneer buying a bunch of stuff for his own account, which isn't the business they're in.

Richard

Oh,I've been to one or two of Dan's and been know to be at a few more. Your right I have seen those fictitious bids,phone and internet bids from Buyers, but have never been to an auction that says they may place bids for the SelleR so I'm a novice at that.

Good luck on your auction and move to Texas
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=392969&page=1
Posted By: okoil1 Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Sat Mar 02 2013 02:30 AM
Dan is one of the few auctioneers that I trust. His auctions are honest. He is very accommodating regarding delivery and his condition ratings error on the side of conservative.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Sat Mar 02 2013 03:28 AM
I'd like to retract the 1st sentence from my previous post on this topic. It was an unnecessary comment that added nothing to the points I was tryimg to make. Sorry if anyone was offended..........

Richard
Posted By: roger cherry Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Sat Mar 02 2013 02:37 PM
Alot of what is being talked about her is "alot about nothing". You either trust the auctioneer or you don't. Personally, I trust Dan 100%. End of story. I have been to many, many of his auctions, bid on the internet when not there, and have NEVER had any reason to not trust what was going on. These sites like Proxibid only put stuff like that there to cover their rears. I am sure Dan will get it fixed. IMO, if you don't trust the auction, don't bid! Its that simple.

One other thing, like Daryl said, "Costumer servive is the BEST out there". If you go to shows, Dan will bring it to you without charging shipping. I don't recall any other auction house doing stuff like that. He is a stand-up guy........
Posted By: Tom Stover Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Sat Mar 02 2013 03:34 PM
Originally Posted By: pollyman
Prices seem to be super strong today in my opinion. Bid on 12 items and didn't even come close. Some really great signs!
Ditto!!!!
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Sat Mar 02 2013 03:48 PM
I've never had a problem of any kind with Dan's auctions;timely shipping,careful packing and so on.I also agree with okoil in that I think his grade ratings are very conservative.As a matter of fact,when he says 8.9 I almost always think in terms of a 9 plus.I would a lot rather have it that way,rather than going the other way.

I agree that it all boils down to trust.I do and I will continue to participate when something I want comes along.
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Sun Mar 03 2013 03:39 PM
I have had fun buying from and selling to Dan. He's a good guy. Always good for a conversation. Hopefully he makes it out to John's show this year.

I don't know, I just looked through the auction results and, yes, there were some very high prices on some signs but those had condition and rarity going for them. Some of those may never be seen for awhile.

I thought there was some nice stuff in the $200-$400 range that was nicer and went for less than that auction I just attended in western NY and didn't have anyone from oldgas land that I saw and no internet bidding.

I thought lot 478 Cole Aero car sign and lot 303a the John Deere chilled plows were decent buys for someone. Those are fairly rare pieces.

I know you have to add up to 18% if you bid through Proxybid, but at least the opportunity was there for people that couldn't attend. Just the price of doing business. I was working while the auction took place and I had alredy spent my allowance at the auction I went to earlier in the month.

Some auction houses are getting close to that 18% or above for just in house auctions.
Posted By: Tbirdgas Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Sun Mar 03 2013 04:23 PM
As said in this link,
http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=393743&gonew=1#UNREAD

I Read the fine print and If I hadn't and said something on this site, the would have been Hammer because I didn't read the fine print. I only ask the question and Never said Dan wasn't Honest, and If he was doing this He would be Honest disclosing it. Dan's auction is the only online auction I will/do participate in and got one item on friday, was only trying to clarify the terms.
Posted By: Proud_Dad Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Mon Mar 04 2013 06:38 PM
Where do you view the auction?
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Peotone Auction starts today - Mon Mar 04 2013 06:48 PM
The auctions are over. You can view results of the Friday auction at this link:

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/Catalog.asp?aid=61528&p=5&sort=0#cnTb
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk