Oldgas.com Home
Richmond Auctions Two Day No Reserve Sale

Dates: August 26th & 27th - 11 AM each day

Bidding: In person, online via bid.RichmondAuctions.com, or by phone.

Jordan Richmond
jordan@richmondauctions.com
(864) 382-1302

Seth Meredith
seth@richmondauctions.com
(336) 382-6313

Catalog Link: Day 1 - Agriculture, Tractor & Petroliana
Catalog Link: Day 2 - Petroliana, Automobilia & General Advertising

Attached picture 272-1.jpg
Attached picture 273-1.jpg
Attached picture 279-1.jpg
Attached picture 283-1.jpg
Some of my favorites, for obvious reasons...

Attached picture 281-1.jpg
Attached picture 324-1.jpg
Attached picture 299-1.jpg
Attached picture 348-1.jpg
A few more...

Attached picture 296-1.jpg
Attached picture 297-1.jpg
Attached picture 333-1.jpg
Attached picture 314-1.jpg
some killer offerings,

items your not going too find in the wild .. ... cool
Posted By: Skydog Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Fri Aug 12 2022 02:19 AM
Wow!
Posted By: Tankar Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Fri Aug 12 2022 04:32 PM
Great eye candy. Hope I win the lottery soon
Almost time, 9 days
Posted By: hawkike Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Thu Aug 18 2022 02:44 AM
App.forty years ago i found an AEROSHELL sign like the one pictured on the auction.It came from an old Shell station in N.Ca. It is a 3 piece sign app.10' ft.long.

The one i had was fastened to a piece of redwood. Had it for some time,went to a collector in Chicago.

At the time i needed the cash more than the sign!
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Thu Aug 18 2022 11:09 AM
Are these signs being presented as originals?
Posted By: hawkike Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Thu Aug 18 2022 06:13 PM
Seth says the Aeroshell sign is a 20'. The one i had was 10'. Rare signs.

The Shell Ethyl is a rare sign also,i have only seen one here on the left coast since hiring in with Shell in 1967.
Posted By: hawkike Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Thu Aug 18 2022 06:25 PM
According to the auction site the answer is "yes"
Originally Posted by Ohio Oil
Are these signs being presented as originals?

Yes, the ratings and descriptions are done by "The Authentication Company" TAC. You can buy with confidence. We do free delivery to Dixie and Hershey as well as door to door service on certain items. Can ship as well.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Fri Aug 19 2022 08:19 PM
Great thanks.
Posted By: hawkike Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Fri Aug 19 2022 10:36 PM
Current bid $310.000 !

Attached picture 272-1.jpg
Posted By: Tankar Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Fri Aug 19 2022 11:49 PM
I guess I'm out on musgo. 😊
Originally Posted by hawkike
Current bid $310.000 !

I don't know where it ends up, but I'm not sure any number would surprise me at this point.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Sat Aug 20 2022 09:57 PM
What is the buyers premium for the sales
Posted By: Tankar Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Sat Aug 20 2022 10:25 PM
I would think buyers premium is 18 to 23 %
Richmond Auction buyers premium: .. ... cool

FOR ONLINE BIDDING: There is a 15% (20% Proxibid and LiveAuctioneers) Buyer's Premium added to your total purchase. A 3% convenience fee will be added to all customers paying by credit card.
On our platforms, it's 15%. We have an app you can download wherever you get your apps. For live and proxibid, we just add their fee to it, making it 20%. You can also phone bid or bid in person of course at our venue in Greenville, SC. Free delivery to Dixie and Hershey.
some (pre - auction) bids .. ... cool

Attached picture 1aaarich.PNG
Attached picture 1aaagriz.PNG
Attached picture 1aaasheet.PNG
Posted By: Rocadog Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Thu Aug 25 2022 02:28 AM
Holy smokes! Must be nice to have that much disposable income!
Posted By: gasgeezer Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Thu Aug 25 2022 05:00 AM
how come when i see these items and bid on them im posted as high bidder and none of these prices are even close to the post above?
Originally Posted by gasgeezer
how come when i see these items and bid on them im posted as high bidder and none of these prices are even close to the post above?

The image above is from bid.richmondauctions.com or our app. On auction day, each independent platform merges their bids. Proxi and Live will "send" their bids in at that time via their clerk. Most bidders use our platform as it's a 15% buyers premium for 20%. Happy to answer any additional questions you may have.
Here is a snap shot of part of the venue.

Attached picture EE41CDD4-76AD-4DEB-B0DC-5032EAFA8053.jpeg
If you want to see anything specific, let me know!

Attached picture 14740520-65F0-4E6B-B71D-BC940B310FEC.jpeg
musgo up another 60k today .. ... cool

Attached picture 1amus.PNG
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Fri Aug 26 2022 03:04 AM
I believe I saw this MUSGO sign on display in the Exhibit Hall at Iowa Gas in August. At that time the bid was "only" at $230,000, if I recall correctly. It was a beauty, and fun to see one up close and personal, especially with two sides being near mint. John
Posted By: Tankar Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Fri Aug 26 2022 11:39 AM
It was in the ballroom. Very nice
Originally Posted by Jolly-John
I believe I saw this MUSGO sign on display in the Exhibit Hall at Iowa Gas in August. At that time the bid was "only" at $230,000, if I recall correctly. It was a beauty, and fun to see one up close and personal, especially with two sides being near mint. John

That was actually a different sign. The one we are selling Saturday is new old stock.
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Fri Aug 26 2022 05:14 PM
Oh, those MUSGO signs are turning up just everywhere! Yes, we're both referring to the same sign, Tankar. I call the Holiday Inn Ballroom the "Exhibit Hall", since that's what the Iowa Gas organizers label it. Wow, it's hard to believe the NOS MUSGO sign being auctioned is even nicer than the one we saw at Iowa Gas. John
another 40k today ! ! ! .. ... cool

Attached picture 1aamus.PNG
.. ... cool

Attached picture 1aaauc.PNG
may be a record .. ... cool

Attached picture 1aamusf.PNG
The way things are that baby is going to be worth more than that soon!
Posted By: hawkike Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Sat Aug 27 2022 05:53 PM
Where are the high rollers,hardly worth messing with for that paltry sum!!!

I went to Starbucks instead of bidding!!!
Posted By: justgassy Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Mon Aug 29 2022 01:57 PM
If prices keep going like this, it's going to be unaffordable for the average working Joe. Things that I noticed as being rather common & more on the beginner level but very high in my eyes were, Sunoco PP $1,200, Vertical Goodrich Tires $7,500, Tydol quart $400 & Wings quart $100.

Just my thoughts.
Originally Posted by justgassy
If prices keep going like this, it's going to be unaffordable for the average working Joe. Things that I noticed as being rather common & more on the beginner level but very high in my eyes were, Sunoco PP $1,200, Vertical Goodrich Tires $7,500, Tydol quart $400 & Wings quart $100.

Just my thoughts.

Special auction environments aren't indicative of the real market. They're often 1 off events. The highest condition pieces, regardless of what they are, are going to go for higher. Collectors will still be able to get the pieces they want, they just might not be in the condition they had hoped. It will become more difficult to find "deals" on 9+ condition items
Posted By: redmike Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Sun Sep 04 2022 03:36 AM
Back in '97 when I bought my first sign this hobby was great and alot of fun. Then money guys got involved and ruined it for the average person. Seriously, 1.3 million for a Musgo sign is just STUPID!! Just my opinion!
Originally Posted by redmike
Back in '97 when I bought my first sign this hobby was great and alot of fun. Then money guys got involved and ruined it for the average person. Seriously, 1.3 million for a Musgo sign is just STUPID!! Just my opinion!

It's not ruined for the average person. The average person just can't buy a 9 condition sign for what they used to. You can still get great deals on 6-7-8 condition.
Posted By: garyh Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Sun Sep 04 2022 03:27 PM
It Appears Inflation has hit the Hobby Hard ! Just Sayin'
Two people asked me about the Musgo today. And I asked a friend who inspected it in person. Lovely sign. Worth it? His answer meh.
The average American isn't stupid enough to drop real money on signs, and never has been. And the auction houses aren't indicitive of 'value' but of vanity wealth on display as usual.
It's symptomatic of the difference between most people who don't make a 6 figure annual income and those who can spend that much and more at a single auction.
A friend remarked today it's like these people think these signs are 'art', in reality there is only 1 Mona Lisa or 1 Starry Night, not XXXX porcelain renditions.
When people talk up common 36" Coke buttons being displayed for $3000 I know there's a correction coming. I'm surprised Coke hasn't demanded their signs back... lolz.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Sun Sep 18 2022 12:27 PM
Originally Posted by carolinaskies
The average American isn't stupid enough to drop real money on signs, and never has been.

I've dropped real money on signs, I'm average, and don't think I'm stupid. Usually the people doing the most complaining are jealous.

I'm happy to live in America where I can spend my money making my shop a happy place to hang out. And...I think it's great when people use their money, regardless of amount, to buy what makes them happy too.
Originally Posted by Ohio Oil
The average American isn't stupid enough to drop real money on signs, and never has been.

I've dropped real money on signs, I'm average, and don't think I'm stupid. Usually the people doing the most complaining are jealous.

I'm happy to live in America where I can spend my money making my shop a happy place to hang out. And...I think it's great when people use their money, regardless of amount, to buy what makes them happy too.
I agree totally with Ohio oil and would ad that I've always looked at my collection as art and beauty.
Two people asked me about the Musgo today. And I asked a friend who inspected it in person. Lovely sign. Worth it? His answer meh.
The average American isn't stupid enough to drop real money on signs, and never has been. And the auction houses aren't indicitive of 'value' but of vanity wealth on display as usual.
It's symptomatic of the difference between most people who don't make a 6 figure annual income and those who can spend that much and more at a single auction.
A friend remarked today it's like these people think these signs are 'art', in reality there is only 1 Mona Lisa or 1 Starry Night, not XXXX porcelain renditions.
When people talk up common 36" Coke buttons being displayed for $3000 I know there's a correction coming. I'm surprised Coke hasn't demanded their signs back... lolz.

What is real money to one person isn't real money to another. We all spend money on things that some part of the population is dumb and frivolous. Those things just elevate in value for certain people.

How many auctions do you attend? There have been multiple auctions just in the past week where there were plenty of great values to be had. People love to harp on the outliers, but every auction I've ever been to has had pieces go at value prices. Most people who complain about the market being for rich people and have "ruined" the hobby are just upset they can no longer buy a 9 condition sign cheap. If it were truly about the love of a hobby, then the condition of the sign shouldn't be a driver. Why would a hobby lover enjoy a 7.5 condition less than a 9.5? In the end, we all want to get the best stuff within the budget we set for ourselves.

As far as coke buttons and 3k, at least 12 have sold this year WAY below that. Look at the averages, not the outliers.
Posted By: 66phillips Re: Richmond Auctions 2 Day No Reserve Sale 8/26-27 - Thu Sep 22 2022 03:48 AM
If my daughter-in-law was reading these posts she would say "Do you want some cheese with your whine". I've been in this hobby for nearly 30 years and there's always been wealthy people in it. There's more now because there many more wealthy people in the world. When I started you could buy a nice Musgo for 20k, Beacon for 3k and 5' Idaho chief's for 1k. Most of us couldn't afford them then, but the wealthy collectors could and they built great collections. If you can't pay cash for a 50k sign drive a used truck and borrow to buy the sign. You'll end up 30 years from now a wealthy person.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk