Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: BryceG Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Jun 27 2016 02:21 PM
I'm too late at getting a spot for the Iowa Gas swap meet, and they are full now.

If anyone has extra space, please let me know... would really like to setup since the schedule actually allows for it this year.

thanks.
Posted By: puregas Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sun Jul 03 2016 12:03 PM
I saw on Facebook last week where Ron Hoyt posted that both the hotel and swap meet were sold out. While there are a lot of great swap meets, I've always told people that if I could only go to one swap meet a year, it would be Iowa Gas. Pat
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sun Jul 03 2016 02:05 PM
Originally Posted By puregas
I saw on Facebook last week where Ron Hoyt posted that both the hotel and swap meet were sold out. While there are a lot of great swap meets, I've always told people that if I could only go to one swap meet a year, it would be Iowa Gas. Pat

X2
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sun Jul 03 2016 03:46 PM
I think the new schedule that they have posted is a great thing for all of us. With the auction at the beginning, a person can show up a little early and take it in without having to stay an extra day after all the trading is over. It was always hard to force myself to stay after the show and see what might transpire at the auction. In fact, I skipped it last year.
I just hope they enforce the trading time table, or it will just get worse than ever. Kind of like when you were a child and your mother told you to stay away from the cookies, but there were no consequences!
Posted By: 57CameoGuy Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 08 2016 12:39 PM
You nailed it Kevin. I went up on Monday last year and it was already half full. I am going to play by the rules and go on Wednesday and hope others do as well.
Posted By: okoil1 Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 09 2016 02:17 AM
Has everyone received their confirmations?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 09 2016 02:31 AM
Originally Posted By okoil1
Has everyone received their confirmations?

I sure did!
Posted By: DuceCpe Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 09 2016 02:37 AM
Not yet?
Posted By: puregas Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 09 2016 02:44 AM
Not yet. Kevin, when did you receive yours?
Posted By: okoil1 Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 09 2016 10:56 AM
Ric and Pat,

I haven't received mine either. After becoming slightly nervous, I contacted the holiday inn and confirmed that I have a room reservation.
Posted By: bustermonty Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 09 2016 02:20 PM
I did the same. No info packet but did confirm my room.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 09 2016 03:13 PM
Holiday Inn confirmed but I did the early reserve for Meet but haven't seen anything else.
Posted By: upsgaspumps Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 09 2016 04:19 PM
Received e-mail confirmation yesterday from Holiday Inn for 2 nights. My first time attending, really looking forward to the show & meeting some of you guys. Bill
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sun Jul 10 2016 02:36 AM
They wait till the last couple of weeks it will come soon. See all of you there.
Rob
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Tue Jul 12 2016 02:23 PM
I just spoke with them and they are busy sending out notices. I added a third night leaving Friday morning rather then Thursday
Posted By: johnnytoys Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Wed Jul 13 2016 11:41 PM
Hope to see you all their
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Thu Jul 14 2016 09:37 PM
I just got my vendor confirmation and it looks like the rules have changed again. The vendor setup starts at noon on Tuesday. I will have to change plans and get there Monday like last year. I was looking forward to the Wednesday 7:00 PM start.
Posted By: Larry Nace Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Thu Jul 14 2016 09:52 PM
Here we go again!,,,,
Posted By: Done4 Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 12:52 AM
hummmmm, things change only to be the same. Good luck guys.
Posted By: okoil1 Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 01:49 AM
7/14: the confirmation arrives with yet a deviation from the new schedule to the old schedule.

1. I have to contact the holiday inn for modifying the reservation.
2. I have to schedule another vacation day at work.
3. I have to re-arrange my work appointments to accommodate Iowa Gas late schedule modification.

Completely un-professional and inconsiderate on behalf of Iowa Gas to modify the schedule with 2 weeks notice. In addition, reverting back to the old schedule makes a mockery out of the previously touted statement/letter firmly announcing the new schedule.
Posted By: keithia Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 01:55 AM
Not changing my schedule. Still can't sell until 6:30 Wednesday so we will get there Wednesday morning. Don't have to have another day in the motel or another day for truck rental.
Posted By: okoil1 Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 02:13 AM
There is no plausible scenario in which selling does not begin Tuesday morning if not earlier.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 04:24 AM
There is no change or announcement on the Iowa Gas website. You would think they could update any changes there.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 04:33 AM
There are no "real" changes guys, read the schedule completely.... all they are doing is allowing you to set up in your spots Tuesday after noon. Selling is not allowed on the property till Wednesday at 6:30pm and the permit for selling is only Wed-Thur-Fri.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 04:34 AM
confused the whole thing seems confusing to me. Will people really not sell? How will they police it? I guess I won't find out if I am getting there Wed. OH well
Posted By: veltex Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 01:31 PM
Well Dang it, I have never been and am planning on it this year even though last minute, wont be there until Wednesday and leave Friday, ARG! I guess any Veltex that might show up Tuesday has less competition.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 03:38 PM
Originally Posted By Mike M.
all they are doing is allowing you to set up in your spots Tuesday after noon

Not quite true Mike! You can only pull into your spot, you can't set up any merchandise until 7pm on Wednesday.

I sure hope they enforce it or no one will ever believe them again.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 04:49 PM
Originally Posted By K W FRITH
Not quite true Mike! You can only pull into your spot, you can't set up any merchandise until 7pm on Wednesday.

I sure hope they enforce it or no one will ever believe them again.

Sorry Kevin that's what I meant, I was talking about parking my trailer and putting up my shade tent and table. But no goodies till after the Wednesday Auction.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 15 2016 05:09 PM
i sure hope they enforce it too... i have never gone to Iowa Gas and stayed overnight due to the old schedule. this year, I was excited for the new schedule and I have been working really hard to try and be able to take off Weds-Fri off work. If i get there only to find lots of activity occurred Tuesday and before, ill be really frustrated.
Posted By: Maxgas Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 16 2016 11:19 AM
I'll be there Monday Eating a Zombie Burger. Goodluck!
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 16 2016 02:06 PM
I got my confirmation yesterday. In the instructions it states "Attention - Revised Set Up Schedule, Tuesday, August 2nd Setup for ALL VENDORS: Starting at Noon

I too am a little confused here. For me, set up means pulling my trailer into the spot and lowering the gate, I'm open for business. I will keep my trailer gate up till the posted start time. I want to adhere to the rules.

With that being said; Setup for guys that sell smalls ie: cans, signs and stuff like that, which is the majority of the vendors, setup means setting up a tent, tables and then unpacking and displaying their products. I am fully aware of the hard work and time that goes into setting up a booth. It takes time to setup and properly display everything, I get and appreciate that.

But my question is how in the world would a reasonable person expect there not to be selling going on during setup? It's just the nature of the business, it's human nature, the collectors nature, the feeding frenzy so to speak, the convergence of people waiting to pounce on that next treasure that comes out of the truck.

My experience from all the other shows I do is that the show starts at setup. Just my thoughts for whats it's worth

Tom.
Posted By: keithia Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 16 2016 04:38 PM
Interesting for us as well. We come with two trailers and a U-Haul truck with pumps. We normally unload two of the trailers with pumps and then pull them out if the vending area. So now we can't unload those pumps as they will be visible sitting in our booth and have to wait to 7:00 to unload or can we unload and set them up??
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 16 2016 10:41 PM
Originally Posted By Maxgas
I'll be there Monday Eating a Zombie Burger. Goodluck!

I'll be there Tuesday Eating a Zombie Burger!
Hope they enforce the new rules. I plan to abide by them. It got old showing up two days early for the show for fear of missing out. As a buyer and a dealer I think the change is good.
Posted By: PETRO NUT Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sun Jul 17 2016 12:05 PM
I am amazed how hard they make something . It should start at setup. what ever day that is. Tom you hit the nail on the head.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sun Jul 17 2016 02:35 PM
I'm sitting this year out,and waiting to hear what the consensus is.
Posted By: nebrgas Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Jul 18 2016 12:22 PM
I have been attending IG for 20 years as a non-vending collector. I, too, started going earlier and earlier in years past so as to not miss out. Although the "good guys" state that they will abide by the new rules, it is folly to think that "deals" won't be made by those on the grounds prior to Wed eve. I just hope it's not over by the time I get there Thursday morning.

Dave
Posted By: Jasonk8001 Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Jul 18 2016 12:57 PM
I think at the end of the day it wont matter, there will always be those who sell regardless of the rules, and guys who miss out on a nice piece cause you dont have it out when they come by, If I could just figure out how to set up and shop at the same time I'd be a happy guy.
Posted By: Gas Pump Rob Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Jul 18 2016 08:35 PM
Originally Posted By tbuckles
I got my confirmation yesterday. In the instructions it states "Attention - Revised Set Up Schedule, Tuesday, August 2nd Setup for ALL VENDORS: Starting at Noon

I too am a little confused here. For me, set up means pulling my trailer into the spot and lowering the gate, I'm open for business. I will keep my trailer gate up till the posted start time. I want to adhere to the rules.

With that being said; Setup for guys that sell smalls ie: cans, signs and stuff like that, which is the majority of the vendors, setup means setting up a tent, tables and then unpacking and displaying their products. I am fully aware of the hard work and time that goes into setting up a booth. It takes time to setup and properly display everything, I get and appreciate that.

But my question is how in the world would a reasonable person expect there not to be selling going on during setup? It's just the nature of the business, it's human nature, the collectors nature, the feeding frenzy so to speak, the convergence of people waiting to pounce on that next treasure that comes out of the truck.

My experience from all the other shows I do is that the show starts at setup. Just my thoughts for whats it's worth

Tom.

I agree with this 100 percent.
I think they screwed up big time. Buyers will buy if they see something they want regardless of the rules! They will work deals like "sorry I can't sell it out here meet me in the hotel lobby in 10 min".....ETC Rob
Posted By: BryceG Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Tue Jul 19 2016 01:31 PM
so pretty much the schedule hasnt changed, they just moved the auction to Wednesday.

I guarantee vendors are packing up and leaving on Thursday late afternoon or evening.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Tue Jul 19 2016 03:39 PM
My last 2 cents on this. I really don't care if someone buys or sells something before the show actually starts because that's what the pre-show buys have been for years.
My biggest problem and it has nothing at all to do with the regulars who come to the show every year but it has to do with the first time buyers and the locals.

IF YOUR GOING TO ADVERTISE A SWAP MEET FOR CERTAIN DAYS,AND PEOPLE SHOW UP FOR THOSE DAYS....THERE SHOULD BE A SHOW GOING ON.

I believe Ron And John are just trying to make that happen and whether some of you like it of not, this has to happen in order for Iowa gas to continue into the future. I remember back 15+ years to my first trip there and it's why I have been coming back ever since. I want others to be able to do the same into the future so when I sell off my collection, that they are there to buy a piece or two!!!!

So please sellers stick to the rules and let's keep Iowa Gas the best gas show into the future. If your selling please stick around thru Friday! And as I have said many times before...I do a whole lot of buying and selling on Fridays as that's when the deals are made.
Posted By: tbuckles Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Tue Jul 19 2016 10:13 PM
Mike, I agree 100% with your thoughts. I had a great day of sales Saturday at the CTO show when I was one of the few left setup. I had numerous people ask me where everyone was at Saturday morning, they stated it was the only day they had off.
Tom.
Posted By: keithia Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Wed Jul 20 2016 01:51 AM
We will be set up on Friday!
Posted By: signs i like Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 22 2016 01:49 PM
I agree with Mike, coming a long way ,you plan your trip on time, able to get there to have a chance to buy something at the same time as everyone. To much confusion and input this year. If the promoters want this new set up and lets hope they enforce on everyone. If you have the merchandise that buyers want you will have no problem selling no matter when you can set your items out.
Posted By: upsgaspumps Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Fri Jul 22 2016 04:45 PM
Any vendor setting up outside that has any extra space at their booth(s), I have a couple gas pumps & a handful of small gas pump parts that I am hoping to sell while at the show. I didn't get a space because I have to leave Friday morning driving to make it back to Oregon by Sunday so I can go back to work on Monday. Any possible leads would be appreciated.

Thanks, Bill
Posted By: shaunhiggins Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 30 2016 07:35 PM
Just got finished loading my 16' Penske truck full of automotive, oil and gas signs, displays and a whole bunch of cool stuff...Heading out from Massachusetts tomorrow morning...I'll be set up in the courtyard INSIDE in the CENTER of the hotel just down the ramp from the restaurant...Looking forward to seeing everyone there...For you Disney fans out there I'm bringing a couple of really cool collectibles to be given away to the first 3 people to answer the trivia question that I will ask you at the show!...See you soon...Shaun

Attached picture truck1.jpg
Attached picture truck2.jpg
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sat Jul 30 2016 08:57 PM
Anyone bringing any interesting pumps to IA to sell?
Posted By: powerlube Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sun Jul 31 2016 08:57 PM
Heard the early birds are already there. Let's see how they police the early setup/buying and selling.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sun Jul 31 2016 10:28 PM
I just heard the same too..Hoping to get photos.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Sun Jul 31 2016 11:48 PM
I'm sure there were some people from the bid Kansas sale that went directly to Des Moines? They better enforce this new ruling or its all out the window from here on out!
Posted By: Hud Oil Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Aug 01 2016 12:04 AM
x2
Posted By: Ryan Underthun Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Aug 01 2016 12:21 PM
See you guys in a couple days!
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Aug 01 2016 03:29 PM
Originally Posted By K W FRITH
I'm sure there were some people from the bid Kansas sale that went directly to Des Moines? They better enforce this new ruling or its all out the window from here on out!

X2!

Safe travels everyone.

We will be arriving Tuesday afternoon, Parking and will enjoy Wednesday checking in, The auction and room to room in the evening. We will not be selling (other than presales) from our spot till Thursday early morning and Friday.

And please don't forget to stop by and be in the Old-Gas photo on Thursday @ 11 am.

See you there!
Posted By: BryceG Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Aug 01 2016 03:39 PM
hope to see everyone there. it will be the first time i've been able to go to Iowa for more than an afternoon. we are abiding by the original schedule, so we'll be arriving Wednesday around noon and hope to stay thru Friday.

i know a few people were there on Sunday, and a lot are arriving today. good luck with that new schedule, lol.
Posted By: keithia Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Aug 01 2016 08:12 PM
We will be arriving Wednesday morning as well. We will have pumps for sale Wednesday night and will unpack the trailer and set up our tables on Thursday along with signs. We will be in our normal spot in front of the new convention center along Fleur.
Posted By: BryceG Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Mon Aug 01 2016 08:24 PM
dont forget to bring a cooler!... its gonna be toasty

Attached picture iowagas_weather.jpg
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Thu Aug 04 2016 12:53 AM
Opened today and no news or pics ??
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: Iowa Gas Swap Meet - Thu Aug 04 2016 02:57 AM
I hope we do not hear: "forgot my camera" ... LOL!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk