Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: bowtiefan need help with value on these signs - Sat Feb 28 2015 02:37 AM
I have been helping with the estate of a friend and I fell into these porcelain signs. Being new to all this, I have no idea what the value is on these. What would be a fair price to give to the widow? I'm not sure, but I think these are original, but I'd like to know the era also.

Red Crown, 29 3/4", says Patented Oct 12 1915 on both sides. There has been some touch-up in half a dozen places, but it's hard to see in the photo.

White Eagle, 29 3/4", says *urdick N. American Bldg. Chi & Balo. Enl. & Nov. Co, ** (can't read the last)

Diesel Fuel, 36"x24" excellent condition, just some minor chips/wear along the bottom. Is this a Chevron sign?

Zerolene, 24"w x 23 3/4"h says Trade Mark Reg US Pat. Off.

Attached picture Red Crown side 1.jpg
Attached picture Red Crown side 2.jpg
Posted By: bowtiefan Re: need help with value on these signs - Sat Feb 28 2015 02:58 AM
Red Crown & White Eagle

Attached picture Red Crown touch up.jpg
Attached picture White Eagle side 1.jpg
Posted By: bowtiefan Re: need help with value on these signs - Sat Feb 28 2015 03:00 AM
White Eagle & diesel

Attached picture White Eagle side 2.jpg
Attached picture Diesel side 1.jpg
Posted By: bowtiefan Re: need help with value on these signs - Sat Feb 28 2015 03:01 AM
diesel & Zerolene

Attached picture Diesel side 2.jpg
Attached picture Zerolene side 1.jpg
Attached picture Zerolene side 2.jpg
Posted By: 2 Gallon Luke Re: need help with value on these signs - Sat Feb 28 2015 01:24 PM
Diesel fuel is a Chevron sign, probably 40s/50s. The white Eagle, Zerolene, and Red Crown all date to the same era of 1920s.
Posted By: bowtiefan Re: need help with value on these signs - Sun Mar 01 2015 05:55 PM
Almost 270 views and no one knows what these are worth?
Ken
Posted By: Neil Gerrard Re: need help with value on these signs - Mon Mar 02 2015 12:20 AM
I sold a similar red crown for $700, diesel I'd guess in the $500 neighborhood, zerolene maybe $150 to someone starting out, no idea on the other.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: need help with value on these signs - Mon Mar 02 2015 02:40 PM
I see two sales in 2013 for white eagle keynoil sign, identical sign but MUCH rougher, bullet holes, lots of rust, not nice signs, $385 and $400. Source worthpoint. I would think yours worth 2, 3 times that but not sure.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: need help with value on these signs - Mon Mar 02 2015 06:33 PM
Originally Posted By: bowtiefan
Almost 270 views and no one knows what these are worth?
Ken

In todays volatile market, its extremely hard to place a value on an old porcelain sign with a few condition issues. Just when you think you have an idea of value, a sale somewhere will prove you wrong.
The best indicator available anymore is to keep current on auction sale results and monitor ebay constantly.
Even the, results on one or two sales may not be a good indicator of value because of outside, uncontrollable influences!
A good case in point is the Kelly tire sign that sold recently for 75K + buyers premium. Several knowledgeable collectors had it pegged to bring 45K to 55K at the high end. It turns out that at least 2 people wanted it bad enough to sail on past the higher value, very quickly!
Your lack of responses is probably because there is no one reading your request that has sold, or seen one of these sell recently!
Posted By: BryceG Re: need help with value on these signs - Mon Mar 02 2015 06:54 PM
people might also know what they are worth but dont choose to share because anyone should be able to form an evaluation of value by searching the internet and finding sales history, asking prices, etc. it takes time & money to do this research... so some are not willing to give that experience away for free.

another reason could be because as soon as some mention a value on here, others are quick to jump on them and say they are wrong, leaving many silent as result.

here's my guesstimate...

Red Crown - $500 (uncertain how much touchup)
White Eagle - $750
Diesel Fuel - $650
Zerolene - $250
Posted By: bowtiefan Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 12:09 AM
Bryce, you make some valid points. I did try looking at the sold items on ebay but without much luck. I couldn't find the White Eagle or the diesel, the Zerolene was pretty nice, but I don't know how much to knock off for condition. I did find a couple Red Crowns, but again I'm not sure about condition. Being new to this, I didn't know where else to look, and I value the members here because I know they know the difference between original and fake, and I don't. I'm guessing that these must be kind of hard to find? I didn't realize that. I was just hoping someone had an idea off the top of their head. I do appreciate the responses I did get, and it gives me an idea of what to offer my friends widow.
Thanks a lot
Ken
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 01:25 AM
Ken,
Although the info is getting a bit dated, a search of Matthews Auctions website will usually show results of what signs and globes have sold for in the past.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 04:27 AM
I usually start with completed ebay auctions but that just goes back about six months, then general internet search (that may pop up Matthews or Proxibid, etc) then worthpoint.com. If you can find a trend on similar condition items, maybe two or three, I figure that gives you a pretty good idea.
Posted By: Highway66 Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 06:38 AM
Red Crown - $375 Based on touchups.
White Eagle - $800+ Condition is nice!
Diesel Fuel - $200-$250
Zerolene - $175-$200

This is what I'd "guess" they would go for if sold here on OG. Ebay well that's another ball game. You've got some neat signs here! Just my guess not saying you can't get more for them.
Posted By: Maxgas Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 10:24 AM
Originally Posted By: BryceG
people might also know what they are worth but dont choose to share because anyone should be able to form an evaluation of value by searching the internet and finding sales history, asking prices, etc. it takes time & money to do this research... so some are not willing to give that experience away for free.

another reason could be because as soon as some mention a value on here, others are quick to jump on them and say they are wrong, leaving many silent as result.

I think Bryce is spot on with this comment. One of the biggest reasons I have alack of participation on this site.
Posted By: oillease55 Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 12:00 PM
Exactly right Bryce. Ron Lease-Collector ;;;;;;
Posted By: eshaver Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 12:26 PM
Chiming in with both Bryce and Maxgas, I too stopped handing out values a long time ago because of the hate mail I receive .
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 12:57 PM
Originally Posted By: BryceG
people might also know what they are worth but don't choose to share because anyone should be able to form an evaluation of value by searching the internet and finding sales history, asking prices, etc. it takes time & money to do this research...so some are not willing to give that experience away for free.

...yup...call a doctor, lawyer or financial advisor, and try to get free advice...people don't want to put in the time to learn about the stuff, they just want a shortcut...
Posted By: Lastgas15 Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 01:49 PM
Good points everyone.
The opinions on value can vary a lot because a collector (especially a long time collector that has developed a network of people to deal with) might post a much lower value that they would expect to pay for an item, while a picker/dealer might post a much higher value that could (or hope to) sell an item for. Often times the dealer's typical clientele are not the folks we see at petroliana shows. So the selling venue is a major factor in what an item is worth, as is the geographical location.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 04:17 PM
I agree with all the above comments, and not to keep this thread off topic, but as I mentioned in the value post on the Standard bathroom mirrors, not receiving a thanks or at least some acknowledgement for the free information given from posters has stopped me from replying to 99% of value posts anymore.
Darin
Posted By: BryceG Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 04:39 PM
as I've mentioned before... if you want to get the best response rate on a value that you cannot seem to figure out. Make a poll and let people anonymously vote... majority rules.
Posted By: Gas stuff.com Re: need help with value on these signs - Tue Mar 03 2015 06:05 PM
Also most of those signs and many others values can be determined with a little research. Most people asking value just don't want to do the leg work involved.
I stopped giving out estimates a while ago after I told a guy what I thought a sign was worth only to have him tell me I was wrong,he found one on eBay and it was for sale for twice what I thought it was worth........
Posted By: Maxgas Re: need help with value on these signs - Wed Mar 04 2015 12:14 AM
To all the newbies trying to figure life in the gas lane out, all the previous comments including mine were made by active collectors who have been participating in the hobby for many many years. Only you and the actions of the future collectors can change the community back for the good. Just remember that before you make any judgments or comments on the site or others for that matter. We are here to help as long as the attitudes are checked at the door. Just my 2 cents. See you guys on the road.
Posted By: bowtiefan Re: need help with value on these signs - Wed Mar 04 2015 12:29 AM
I want to thank all of you for your responses and I appreciate all that has been said. I asked here to get ideas on the value of the signs because as a new guy, I didn't know where else to look besides ebay, and that wasn't very helpful. I'll be going to my first gas show next week, so I'll probably learn a lot more there.
Thanks
Ken
Posted By: Jolly-John Re: need help with value on these signs - Wed Mar 04 2015 04:13 PM
Right on, Bryce AND Darin. John
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk