Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: mpoole penzoil glass outboard oil - Fri Jun 15 2012 09:34 PM
I have a chance to purchase 22 glass one quart penzoil outboard oil bottles. All bottles are unopened and are in good condition. What would a good starting price be I have seen they have went on eBay from 30-55.
Posted By: advertologist Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Fri Jun 15 2012 09:38 PM
offer 200... cool
Posted By: tooter Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Fri Jun 15 2012 09:40 PM
that's a good offer.
i agree
Posted By: mpoole Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Fri Jun 15 2012 11:36 PM
So 200 would be a good offer for all of them,thanks
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Fri Jun 15 2012 11:53 PM
Not if you believe this auction!
Posted By: advertologist Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 12:09 AM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Not if you believe this auction!
Pennzoil Outboard Bottle

this link leads to no where.. cool
Posted By: Alex Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 04:17 PM
Just my opinion, but if you offered me less than $10 a bottle for items selling between $35 and $55....I would politely show you the door. LOL.
Posted By: mpoole Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 05:32 PM
Well I'm more confused now than ever some say 10 a peice some say more, I just don't know what to offer. Owner has done a little looking online and seen what some of them are going for. The problem is people find these items and keep them for ever never caring anything about them till some one shows a interests then they care about them. Care about how much they can get!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 05:39 PM
When in doubt about what to offer, get seller to set price & haggle from there [pickers do on TV].
When seller says they sell for $xx on ebay, ask why he hasn't listed them there?
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 06:07 PM
$10.00 each for the lot is MORE than a fair offer. If he doesn't take $200. walk away and be happy.
Posted By: advertologist Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 07:02 PM
Originally Posted By: Alex
Just my opinion, but if you offered me less than $10 a bottle for items selling between $35 and $55....I would politely show you the door. LOL.

You make your money when you buy something- you can't pay retail & make any money.. cool
Posted By: tooter Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 07:32 PM
and I would be glad to politely leave your door.

and go find something else.

you have to start somewhere...especially if they wont start it out!
Posted By: Alex Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 08:21 PM
Originally Posted By: advertologist
Originally Posted By: Alex

You make your money when you buy something- you can't pay retail & make any money.. cool

I understand the economics. Was raised in a family that operated several successful businesses. Original post didn't say he was trying to flip them. He also said the guy has done some research and knows what they sell for. I agree that it is ideal to get seller to state price. I just think that 350 to 550% mark up is steep. Hope you get them for $10. Best of luck.
Posted By: advertologist Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 09:00 PM
Original post didn't say he was trying to flip them. He also said the guy has done some research and knows what they sell for. I agree that it is ideal to get seller to state price. [/quote]

Alex, this is what I read in original post:
he states in original post that he is the buyer & he has seen them on ebay, not the person with the bottles.
Posted By: Alex Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 09:07 PM
Originally Posted By: mpoole
Well I'm more confused now than ever some say 10 a peice some say more, I just don't know what to offer. Owner has done a little looking online and seen what some of them are going for. The problem is people find these items and keep them for ever never caring anything about them till some one shows a interests then they care about them. Care about how much they can get!

In his second post he states the owner has looked on line and sees what they are going for. All I was saying is I think that price $10 is low. Anyway.....off to wash the car.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 09:13 PM
I have seen they have went on eBay from 30-55.

Owner has done a little looking online and seen what some of them are going for.

...sounds to me like both the owner AND the buyer have looked online to see what they have sold for, and the buyer still wants to know what to offer? confused
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sat Jun 16 2012 11:41 PM
If all the bottles are equally nice don't skimp on your offer especially when the owner knows the potential value!

If you plan to resell most of the bottles figure on paying $35ea for the number you want to keep, then figure a discount on the remaining bottles.

Lets say you want to keep 2 bottles, 2x35=70, that leaves 18 bottles with a low potential of 35x18=630. Take 50% of the 630=$315 add back the 70=385.

$385 would be a fair offer that gives the owner value and the buyer great potential. For an investment of $385 you will make $245 profit selling at the lower average selling price and more if you get closer to the $50/ea.

Armed with that information you can offer a minimum of $300 to feel them out and haggle up to the $385.

If this guy has got other stuff your interested in at a future time if you deal with him honestly instead of trying to cut his throat you will find him receptive to future sales. On the other hand if you go in offering 1/3rd or less of salable value don't expect him to be happy to see you back in the future!
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sun Jun 17 2012 03:23 AM
I always get the seller to come up with the price after all he is the one doing the selling. I can't be both the seller and the buyer. (Another reason why I don't respond to ad's that don't have a for sale price listed).

In my opinion three hundred is not too much; that's only $13.63 a bottle. $385.00 is probably at the high end; that's $17.50 a bottle.

I think you will have a tough time getting $35.00 a bottle at swap meets.
Posted By: carolinaskies Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Sun Jun 17 2012 09:33 AM
The biggest issue I've always had with buying so many of one type of item whether it's bottles or signs is the "flooding" of the market (whether local or eBay) which tends to drive the price down for a while.

If you can afford to release a few bottles at a time over a period of time that's the best option. On the other hand you could turn the bulk of them to yet another dealer who is willing to wait for the profit.

Since these are Outboard oil bottles though I don't believe it's an issue getting $35/bottle. If they were standard auto oil then it might be a bit harder.
Posted By: mpoole Re: penzoil glass outboard oil - Tue Jun 19 2012 01:07 AM
Couldnt agree on price on bottles,owner of bottles wanted 400 and wouldn't budge any lower. I just wasn't willing to pay that for them. So I walked away.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk