Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: LotsofStuff 2 Atlantic Refining Signs: Gasoline & Motor Oil - Thu Oct 24 2019 04:22 PM
Hi
I have a set of Atlantic Refining Company Signs: one Motor Oil and one Gasoline.
Rough measurements are 52 x 36
They are screwed into the doors so I have no idea what that back of the signs look like.
My questions are:
1. Are they worth more individually or as a set?
2. In today's market what do you think their value is, individually or as a set?
2. Can someone provide specific time frames for when these might have been made/used?
3. Is it a good assumption that the Gasoline is more desirable than the Motor Oil Sign? Any reason why?

There is one Atlantic Gasoline sign for sale on Ebay for $800 but it hasn't sold.

Thank you in advance for your help/assistance.

Attached picture 4733_Atlantic_Motor_Oil_and_Gasoline_Both_Signs2.JPG
Attached picture 4735_Atlantic_Gasoline-Sign_Large.JPG
Attached picture 4734_Atlantic Motor_Oil_Sign_Large.jpg
That sign is late 20's..30's with the atlantic fried egg logo,
IMO- doesn't make any difference gasoline or motor oil, value would
depend on condition .. ... cool
Posted By: jecos Re: 2 Atlantic Refining Signs: Gasoline & Motor Oil - Thu Oct 24 2019 05:08 PM
I would value your signs in the range $500-800 each.The motor oil version appears to be in somewhat better condition, however, there do appear to be some pinholes or extra drill-holes (better pics would help). I've seen really nice examples of these go for over $1500 at auction recently.

IMO the ebay example you mentioned for $800 is priced way too high due to its poor condition. And of course the asking price doesn't mean much on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930s-ATLANTIC-GASOLINE-Refining-Company-Porcelain-Sign-Gas-Oil-52-x35-5/174008745147?hash=item2883babcbb:g:7uUAAOSwCdxdYr2m
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-19...elain-Sign-Gas-Oil-52-x35-5/174008745147

not what you'd call pristine condition .. ... cool

Attached picture 1altlgasosn.jpg
Originally Posted by advertologist
That sign is late 20's..30's with the atlantic fried egg logo,
IMO- doesn't make any difference gasoline or motor oil, value would
depend on condition .. ... cool

🤣😂 got me with the "fried egg logo" 😂 Had to re-look at the pictures! Never noticed it until you said something. Thanks!
Originally Posted by jecos
I would value your signs in the range $500-800 each.The motor oil version appears to be in somewhat better condition, however, there do appear to be some pinholes or extra drill-holes (better pics would help). I've seen really nice examples of these go for over $1500 at auction recently.

IMO the ebay example you mentioned for $800 is priced way too high due to its poor condition. And of course the asking price doesn't mean much on ebay.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-1930s-ATLANTIC-GASOLINE-Refining-Company-Porcelain-Sign-Gas-Oil-52-x35-5/174008745147?hash=item2883babcbb:g:7uUAAOSwCdxdYr2m

Thank you.
Now that the weather is cooler I'll get in there and take them down.

If I understand both of you correctly; there's no advantage to keeping them together, other than they look good together (in my opinion).

Helped push me to ask about values
that sign on ebay isn't collector quality
that sign on a scale of 1 - 10 would be a 2
possibly used for yard art in the 150./250. neighborhood
"buy quality" - .. ... cool
that sign on ebay isn't collector quality
that sign on a scale of 1 - 10 would be a 2
possibly used for yard art in the 150./250. neighborhood
"buy quality" - .. ... cool

Thank goodness I don't own the one for sale on Ebay.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk