Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: pickurt gargoyle sign - Sun Apr 27 2014 08:19 PM
Picked up this porcelain sign Saturday and was hopping some one could help. The sign measures 12x9.75" and I have looked on line at Gargoyle signs, every thing authentic seems to be larger in size. The only signs with these dimensions tend to be repop's. So is it real or not?

Thanks

Attached picture gargoyle front.jpg
Attached picture gargoyle back.jpg
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: gargoyle sign - Sun Apr 27 2014 11:38 PM
Repro....all the Licensed by Mobil Corp. info has been conveniently chipped off in the lower right.
Darin
Posted By: sellersrodshop Re: gargoyle sign - Mon Apr 28 2014 01:36 AM
there were a bunch of these floating around in my area about 20 yrs ago. beaten, abused & buried in the ground to falsely age them.
Posted By: Pegasus Re: gargoyle sign - Mon Apr 28 2014 02:39 AM
Repop.....originals were not made in that size.
Posted By: pickurt Re: gargoyle sign - Mon Apr 28 2014 01:09 PM
I had a strong feeling that this wasn't the real deal frown.
Perhaps I will keep it as a reminder. Thanks for the feed back.

Posted By: henlovestoys Re: gargoyle sign - Mon Apr 28 2014 03:09 PM
OK, a mere suggestion ...

Shouldn't "Unmarked Reproduction and Fantasy Petro Photo Album" be updated with most obvious & questionable signs out there?

Dave added a similar sign (different letters) on Page 2.

http://oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=21&page=2

We can complain all day but given the fact this hobby is far complex (IMO)to follow, I believe this would help a new member to have good reference before committing to a buy.

Comments?

Hen
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: gargoyle sign - Mon Apr 28 2014 09:11 PM
Hen, How many signs have YOU posted in UN-marked Repop...Album?

I gave up trying to Push that page.
Hen & lots of others will post questionable stuff on ebay/online auction Forum then let it Drop & NO ONE takes the time to post the images to show the differences.
Spending your time Reporting Fake Items to ebay will not Educate New Collectors [& will not stop those items from being re-listed].
ie;
177549?? Fake Item, Report It.
xxxxxx I DID
xxxcx Reported
xxavxx Done
xxasv I did
Posted By: henlovestoys Re: gargoyle sign - Tue Apr 29 2014 07:02 PM
db,

Sorry for the late reply ...

You are absolutely correct about what you wrote. In my case, TALK is CHEAP! Need to get my act together.

I will be honest … I find this "task" not an easy one. IMO, it is not only putting a picture up. It needs to provide the differences between an ORIGINAL & REPOP. This way, a novice collector can see the differences & get an idea right away!

I will go further ... I like your style. Let's take a look at both "HANCOCK" & "SHELL" you did. If I were to post any pictures, I would want to follow your format.

Now, the touchy subject

Few members have raised their concern that your “format” might give repop folks ideas to improve their work. IMO, it makes no difference. I believe doing exact copy of “Original” is almost impossible because of “FONT” & “COLOR MATCHING” issues.

I would like to hear your thoughts on the "thorny issue".

Hen
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: gargoyle sign - Tue Apr 29 2014 08:00 PM
Originally Posted By: Hen
Few members have raised their concern that your “format” might give repop folks ideas to improve their work. IMO, it makes no difference. I believe doing exact copy of “Original” is almost impossible because of “FONT” & “COLOR MATCHING” issues.

**LAZINESS**
Reproducing items [decals/signs/globes/CANS] & Not using the correct Fonts is LAZINESS on their part.

Originally ALL Graphics were Drawn by hand & Text by Linotype Print [newspaper/Book Publishing], NOT by computer.

On ALL My COPY cans, I have HAND DRAWN [on Paper & Computer assisted] ALL Graphics Including the Large Fonts & Text on face of cans. The text on back of cans I HAVE used Several Font types combined to get as close as I can to reproduce. Because of this some cans have taken me over 40hrs to reproduce into a line drawing Before refining the Colors [inkjet &/or laser printing].

Most of MY cans were done off photographs, so getting the layout was a major problem.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: gargoyle sign - Tue Apr 29 2014 09:01 PM
Originally Posted By: Hen
I will go further ... I like your style. Let's take a look at both "HANCOCK" & "SHELL" you did. If I were to post any pictures, I would want to follow your format.

Thanks.

BUT, posting images & NOT pointing out the Differences is Worthless IMO. [Comic book W/O Captions or Captions W/O Comics!]
IF no one points out what to look for, you could have several Counterfeit $20's [$100] bills in your pocket now.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk