Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Greasyboy1970 30" dsp Gold Medal Oil sign brought big money - Fri Aug 30 2013 06:25 PM
A friend went to a sale the other day in Hecla,S.D. which was mainly old Oil Pull tractors but there where a few signs there also. The 30" dsp "Gold Medal Oil" sign brought $18,500.A local gent tried his hardest at $18,000 but it went to a on-line bidder.I have heard in the past that "Gold Medal Oil" was from here in S.D.? They hired Aumann out of Illinois for the sale so it should be viewable as soon as they post it in the past sales. Was this Oil company from South Dakota?
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: 30" dsp Gold Medal Oil sign brought big money - Fri Aug 30 2013 06:28 PM
Minnesota company!
Thanks Kevin, maybe they had hubs here at least. Way out of my league for a sign,Wow!
picture?.. cool
Kunz Oil, Minneapolis MN. Allot of history on this brand, not sure what years they may have expanded outside MN. I think they may still be in business. Others who are more knowledgeable on the brand will hopefully add with correct info.

Attached picture image001b.jpg
No picture,sorry. I hope to see exactly what it was when Aumann out of Illinois posts the completed auction results.
Great looking sign! That very well could have been it,not sure though.
Well Marc, you may not be sure but I am.

http://www.marknetlive.com/view-auctions/catalog/id/144/lot/4319/
No further explanation needed :0!What a true gem!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: 30" dsp Gold Medal Oil sign brought big money - Fri Aug 30 2013 07:04 PM
Can only Imagine what it would have sold for if done by Dan Matthews!
Nice sign, first time I've seen one. Someone ended up with a killer addition to their collection.
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: 30" dsp Gold Medal Oil sign brought big money - Fri Aug 30 2013 07:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Can only Imagine what it would have sold for if done by Dan Matthews!

...or if it was in better condition...
Posted By: Bob Richards Re: 30" dsp Gold Medal Oil sign brought big money - Fri Aug 30 2013 07:35 PM
You mean like this???????? LOL

http://www.icollector.com/Rare-Gold-Medal-Oil-Porcelain-Advertising-Sign_i8637776
Posted By: Chevrolet SS Re: 30" dsp Gold Medal Oil sign brought big money - Fri Aug 30 2013 07:46 PM

The picture does not due the sign justice. I have seen it in person and was speechless (also kept the drool from hitting the floor) LOL!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: 30" dsp Gold Medal Oil sign brought big money - Fri Aug 30 2013 08:06 PM
Night/Day condition differences in the 2 signs
Posted By: Scott Baselt Re: 30" dsp Gold Medal Oil sign brought big money - Fri Aug 30 2013 08:52 PM
Fear not collectors. There will soon be more of these signs available from our friends in South America !
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk