Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 47reo-travis Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 10:04 PM
Got this today and wondered what the little glass pieces were for, they are not neon tubes , but solid? Any information is greatly appreciated . Thank you Travis

Attached picture DSCN0497.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0499.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0503.JPG
Attached picture DSCN0498.JPG
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 10:07 PM
Those are standoffs .they hold a neon tube away from the metal sign.the tube is wired to them
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 10:08 PM
They are mounts for neon tube.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 10:13 PM
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 10:24 PM
Mick and Dave I feel really silly now ,shows that I am a green horn but hey that's how new guys like me learn ! Thank you guys .
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 10:31 PM
Sign looks good, glad you got it. You should be able to get a new transformer for it and someone to bend some new tubing if you want to light it up. My brothers has green neon on it.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 10:36 PM
Wes , some time I would like to see a picture of you brothers , thanks!
Posted By: Mantiquers Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 11:15 PM
Was the full sign neon or just the edge? Awesome sign though a similar one with double strand sinclair neon brought like 16k at mecum.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 11:18 PM
Letters are also neon
Posted By: texacokie Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Sun Jun 16 2013 11:27 PM
Originally Posted By: oldnfuelish
Those are standoffs .they hold a neon tube away from the metal sign.the tube is wired to them

What he said!......nice find Travis.
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Mon Jun 17 2013 12:23 AM
Not trying to pester everyone with my lack of knowledge but my question guys is there are no holes in the face of the sign like most neon signs for the neon to go into like a can,so how did the connect the letters without it looking like a cursive word?
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Mon Jun 17 2013 12:30 AM
Originally Posted By: 47reotravis
Not trying to pester everyone with my lack of knowledge but my question guys is there are no holes in the face of the sign like most neon signs for the neon to go into like a can,so how did the connect the letters without it looking like a cursive word?

They Black out the Neon Tubing between the letters to make it appear as each letter is separate when lit up.
Posted By: Mantiquers Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Mon Jun 17 2013 12:31 AM
You black out spots on the neon so it doesn't look like one fluent word but there should be glass housings that take the male end of the neon which indeed connects it all together in the can to the transformer(s)
Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Mon Jun 17 2013 12:48 AM
That makes sense now , thanks everyone.
Posted By: Dave's Garage Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Mon Jun 17 2013 12:58 AM
Here you go. They say a picture is worth a thousand words. laugh

Attached picture rsz_chevron_ori_neon2.jpg
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Mon Jun 17 2013 12:58 AM
This is how one looks all lit up. It is a 3 piece 23 footer but you get the idea. The neon glare hides the true colors and details.

Posted By: 47reo-travis Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Mon Jun 17 2013 01:17 AM
Wow! Thanks for pictures both of you.
Posted By: gaspumpdon Re: Large sinclair sign question? - Mon Jun 17 2013 10:40 AM
What years were these signs made??
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk