Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Mike M. Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 02:29 AM
As a restorer of Gas Pumps myself and I know there are many of us on this site I have to pose a question that keep bouncing thru my brain....

Do you think that a gas Pump that is restored by a well known shop like Rick's American Restorations (Las Vegas/History channel) is worth any more is value than a highly detailed Pump one of us does?

I have never thought that any car I restored at my shop or any pump should be worth any more or less if it's done nice compared to another restorer.
I know someone that stopped in at Rick's, Bought a pump, had it restored by them and shipped back to his home. He told me it was well worth all the costs because it was done by Rick's and that will be a great selling point!

Maybe it's just me but who's going to know who Rick's was for extra value after the show is gone from TV.
Posted By: Jason K Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 02:33 AM
I also do wonder the same question myself. My dad and I talk about it a lot when we are with friends talking about restorations.
Posted By: hotcidr Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 03:05 AM
Lets take this a little further. Restored gas pumps sell for big dollars, why do nicely restored signs not??
Posted By: Notchcad Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 03:21 AM
Ricks pumps look like hell and I have no clue why they even bring a dollar more than an unrestored pump. All his need blasted and start fresh. It's kinda like people paying for a car that someone famous once owned. Makes no sense.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 03:50 AM
With what WE have seen on the "TV Show", NOT ALL HIS Restorations have the Correct parts.

I'd rather have Frankpl or dundign do my pumps, at least they would be done w/ CORRECT PARTS. IF I want them to be Restored to working condition, then Dennis Maier of Flagstaff is MY CHOICE.
Posted By: Notchcad Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 03:52 AM
Well said Dick! Don't forget the master Craig Osbeck!
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 04:16 AM
There are SEVERAL Members here that do GREAT RESTOS. Frank, Tom & Dennis are within driving distances for me.
Posted By: texacokie Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 12:15 PM
The reason he gets those prices is because he is doing them for some very uninformed/non research folks that want that instant gratification and the bonus of having a TV star doing there project, just like the people who have the pickers come to there homes.

Myself I like the pumps unrestored. There only original ONCE!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:05 PM
The minute I hear an owner mention a so called celebrity owned/restored his car/pump,I walk away.
Instant deal breaker.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 01:45 PM
I guess if it makes you feel good to over pay for a restoration,I'm happy for you.

A good restored pump is just that no matter who done it.I would rather someone say man that looks as good or better as them pumps you see on TV--and I still have a little change in my pocket.

The difference between signs and pumps is there is NOS signs still found in attics,which makes collectors frown on restored signs. JM2C
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 02:19 PM
I think it's just an ego thing.I haven't personally run into it regarding Rick's pumps,but I have heard of guys bragging "Oh,I got mine at Barrett-Jackson!!".I guess that sort of "status symbol"is something some are willing to pay for.

I didn't even go look at the pump;I'm happy with my own work.Oh well,to each his own.
Posted By: 1PetroFan Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 03:37 PM
The first thing that I thought when I read this thread is if was a Ricks restoration, I would pay LESS. Brady
Posted By: ranchpump Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 06:13 PM
Speaking of Rick's. I don't watch cable (or even "regular" TV) but I saw this photo a while ago on the Net. Geez Louise, he wanted $6,500 each for these Boyle Dayton pumps and even the access doors are UPSIDE down!! Not to mention incorrect nozzles.

Attached picture Ricks resto Las Vegas $6500 each.JPG
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 06:40 PM
They have 3 gallon sticks which would make them a Wayne instead of a B&D?
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 06:43 PM
WAYNE PUMP & TANK COMPANY - BOYLE DAYTON DIVISION
WRONG globe rings & "I" don't see conduit to top.
Posted By: cmeon66 Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 07:19 PM
In answer to the original question, NO!
Posted By: Flatland Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 07:34 PM
Unless you feel the need to boost your ego through "fame by association", what does it matter whom owned/restored a pump (or car). Quality is quality, and junk is junk!

As to the sign question: at least with a restored pump, you can pretty well see what you are getting,and for the most part, distinguish what is old and what is repop.Pumps were made to be repaired, and worn/broken parts replaced. If you replace steel with steel, there isn't a lot of difference. If you replace porcelain with bondo and paint,not so much the same IMO.
Posted By: PlainBroke Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 08:52 PM
Not to simplify, but you can only do so much to a pump. Tear them down, sandblast, body work, prime, base coat-clear coat and replace any parts that you need. We sell our visibles for considerably less than ol' Ricki boys' and they are every bit as good if not better. Think I will contact him and see if we can do subcontract work for him smile
Posted By: blacktee Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 10:15 PM
I've restored only one pump (Wayne 70), but I'll throw in my two cents. I found one of the best painters in Michigan. Over the years, I found original porcelain face plates, nozzle, pump plates, Wayne emblems, ad glass (Wayne stamped in LFH corners),and a globe. ID plate is reproduction, but the original is sitting inside.

Everything I have in it is around $2700-$2800.00 (because of the paint job) What would Rick have ? A price probably well over $5000.00 and a pile of reproduction parts. My pump looks exactly like it would have in 1939 (date it was made). My pump came from a farm 15 miles away and was originally a Fire-Chief pump.

Also I was the very first person from oldgas.com who had a veeder root completely restored by Joe Y. I also have two Tok. 39 shorts outside my garage in Fire Chief and Sky Chief all original, NOT RESTORED. I don't think if I get another pump it would be shipped 1700 miles to Rick. Unless he did a three part series on restoring my pump and mentioned my name alot. Oh and free shipping back to me. LOL
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 11:08 PM
Doug, Send Ric $100 for a Signature Decal to add to your pump so you can ask $5,000!

OH & you have to Install Something on it Upside Down!
Posted By: blacktee Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Thu Apr 18 2013 11:50 PM
Dick

While at the car auction in Ft. Launderdale last month we walked pass the hi dollar pumps and found these two clowns for a photo with Mary Ann.

Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Fri Apr 19 2013 12:12 AM
Those POOR S C H M U C K S can't even afford new jeans, HOPE they didn't TOUCH THE WIFE. IF that had been my wife & they Touched her, she'd be WALKING HOME.

It WAS cool for the Blues Brothers to wear sunglasses INDOORS, but NOT FOOLS.
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Fri Apr 19 2013 12:35 AM
"Come to the office so we can do some paperwork, whiz, bang, here's yer bill ma'm!"

Goober smile
Posted By: ranchpump Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Fri Apr 19 2013 12:39 AM
Or one could simply put the Underwriters plates on the OUTSIDE of the door...jeez!
Posted By: tommyboy Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Mon Apr 22 2013 03:21 AM
They're even the wrong access doors too! Let alone no valve at the top of the hose. I have an original Boyle-Dayton 1926 (all original parts exept globe glass), and lots of things wrong with these pumps!
Posted By: Martin from OZ Re: Value of Custom restored gas pumps - Mon Apr 22 2013 06:13 AM
I've restored pumps over the years and I attempt to get it done as close to original specs by utilising original pics from petrol stations or brochures...
I absolutely hate it when people throw on whatever sticker they feel like and passing it off as original. I've seen a case of a (australian) wayne 605 restored in Australian Shell. The big BUT is, it looked like the restorer couldnt figure out what period he wanted it from. It ended up having a early to mid 1960's colours scheme, door panel decals from the 70's, adglass design from the late 60's then to top it off put a clam globe on top from the 40's... ..
I same do it once and do it how it was.
We get "american restoration" downunder now (probably 2-3season behind) and some of his work is stunning, but your right about the pumps that he restores, cant they be somewhat original.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk