Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: RARIN TO GO Frontier clock looks wrong...any opinions...info? - Tue Apr 09 2013 10:46 PM
I have never seen a Frontier clock and this one just doesn’t look right. The lettering is wrong and so is the rider and horse. Has anyone else ever seen a Frontier clock? Doesn’t it seem strange that it is different? I just took a look at about 50 Frontier items with this logo and they are ALL the same. None looked like this. Be it signs or cans or globes or other promotional items they are consistent. Anyone else have any opinions on this?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Simplex-...=item2ec75ec224
Here is a pic of my sign to compare it to.
And just a warning I have seen a few "aged" Frontier porcelain pump plates have brought a few hundred dollars each recently. Just a heads up that ALL of those are repops. Fantasy pieces really. Frontier never used pump plates. Just decals.
No no no! Not real chris, just " a simplex clock with a frontier logo" most likely a decal.i did a search on frontier clock,and came up with nothing.not to say it never happened,but if it did its rare!
Some phonys are difficult, but that even "looks" like a vinyl decal!
has had other questionable clocks on his completed listings.. cool
Thanks guys! That's what I thought too but I don't know clocks. There was no way I was going to bid on this one unless someone could prove it was real or I could see it in person. It just looks so wrong! It didn't seem right to me from the minute I saw it.
Thanks Randy! I hadn't even thought to look at his completed listings. I just did. No doubt now that this is a total fake! Hope nobody gets burned on it!
If he doesn't get any other bids, its not a bad buy, for a display piece, even though its a fake! You can't buy much for $200??
After looking at his completed items some of his clocks say they are restored to a "theme". But not this one! He says nothing about the logo not being real. Just the "clock" is vintage. My brother is a lawyer and I'm half tempted to buy this clock anyway and sue his *****. I'm so tired of this stuff. And on ebay you used to be able to contact bidders and let them know they where bidding on a fake. But now you can't! I used to warn people all the time about fake items. Now I just contact the dealers and tell them I'm on to them. Oldgasers might want to send this guy a message if they think this item is a fake. I just did!
Not defending him in any way,but he says" vintage simplex clock with frontier logo" and that's exactly what it is.these guys are getting better at their wording to keep themselves in the clear after they rip someone off.and Kevin,these clocks are a dime a dozen.for 200.00 you can find something decent that lights up.not real,mind you,but cool.
Posted By: Tankar Re: Frontier clock looks wrong...any opinions...info? - Wed Apr 10 2013 01:08 AM
From the pictures it looks to me like paint flaking, but until someone gets it in there hands will never know.
Posted By: keithia Re: Frontier clock looks wrong...any opinions...info? - Wed Apr 10 2013 01:13 AM
Paint is flaking on the painted part of the face not the decal. Decal is only the small center part of the face.
Posted By: Tankar Re: Frontier clock looks wrong...any opinions...info? - Wed Apr 10 2013 02:06 AM
Yeah I understand the center part, to me it still looks like paint, But I am not defending the clock either. Someone buy it so will know. Did they make clocks ?
I don't know if anyone else contacted this seller but I did! I told him that I knew it was a fake and so did others and that I hoped he gets sued or even jail time someday. Well guess what? He just recently changed his description to "Vintage Simplex Clock with clock face redone to a Frontier Gas Logo theme". I still would have loved to have been able to sue his ***** but at least maybe he's got the message for awhile!
Chill out & after a Case of COLD Ones IT'LL LOOK MUCH BETTER Chris!
Posted By: Snkr770 Re: Frontier clock looks wrong...any opinions...info? - Sun Apr 14 2013 01:57 AM
Wow. What pleasant and kind words you all have. I can answer many of your questions. Seeing as how a clock restored to a specific theme seems to upset many of you, I have ended the auction your so concerned about and felt it is time to enter your conversation to clear up your questions before everyone goes on another feeding frenzy as to why the auction ended. I am not going to go round and round on this message board so I will just state the items on my mind and leave so that all readers of the post can get both sides viewpoints. First let me state that not one person complaining sent me a polite email to get the answers you all have. I take that back. Rarin' to Go did. While it was very rude email, and while I disagree with his opinion, I kindly & quickly addressed his concern listing based on his request, but after giving it further thought I felt if he was confused, then others might also be so after giving some it some further thought I ended the auction tonight to rewrite the entire listing to be crystal clear. For what its worth, had anyone of you sent a polite email I would have been quick to answer any question or concern you had. I have nothing to hide am an honest person and honest seller. I too am a collector of this cool old stuff for many years and have been burned with a ***** photos. Unlike many other sellers, I provide as many close up pics as I can along with a detailed list of things I identify on each restoration for a buyer to make a well informed decision on my listings & offer a no questions asked refund. I don’t see or hear anyone attacking anyone for putting a alternate brand logo on a Tokihiem pump or wrong colored and paint job on a Bennet pump. Do you get just as upset when you see a coke logo on a gum ball machine? Or a non embossed coke machine done up as orange crush? Does that make them fake or phony too? If an item looks cool and is affordable, some of us simply don’t care. Simply put, items are restored to a different themes everyday in shops all over the country. If you look around your own collections I can guarantee each and every one of you have either created or bought a item or two, and had it redone to something it was not from the factory, because you liked the item but not a fan of a the color, or brand, or the item simply didn’t exist or you could no longer get. Many years ago I found myself in the same position as many collectors and started redoing things to my personal taste for my own collection. As time progressed friends seen my work and asked to do a custom piece or two for them. After also getting burned with ***** restorations, ***** china made reproductions, ***** vyinl decals and ***** fuzzy graphics that looks like someone did on their home dot matrix printer. I did my homework, researched the equipment and figured out how to achieve a high quality restoration. So to answer your questions about the artwork. The hardest part and most time consuming part of many restorations is creating the artwork. I have the artwork redone for every restoration. Recreating it as vectorized artwork allows you to achieve a very crisp graphic. (If anyone is having a restoration done make sure you ask them to do it in that fashion for the best results) Depending on your budget you can pay a graphics artist for a “good enough job” or for “perfection”. Again it all boils down to your budget vs Quality. Once the graphic is created I use the same process commonly used on items in the past. So it is then converted into a custom made lithographic transfer process.

While I only do this as a hobby, I will put my restorations up against any restorer or TV show in the country. To prove it I’d be glad to put my restoration where my mouth is. Not everyone likes their stuff all shinny and clean the clock that was listed was intentionally left with all the rust dirt and grime and peeling paint for the person that enjoys that look and makes it more affordable to average joe to finish the restoration themselves to save a few bucks or leave it as is for an affordable display piece. However, I would be game to do full restoration on a clock sometime next month. When I am done I would be glad to meet up or have Tancar or anyone else that is from the Twin Cities come inspect it when I am done. If he or anyone else can stand there and tell me it's not a quality restoration I speak of I will leave the scene and you all can resume your bashing. On the flip side, If that person can stand there and tell me it is very well done, it would be nice to hear someone make a correction to the previous posts bashing my listing.

I did not have to enter this wolves den to answer any questions, but I chose to because I have nothing to hide, take pride in my work, and don't feel it's fair for someone who has never met me, never seen my work in person, or never spoken with me to go into a public chat room and degrade them and there work. I am an honest person with honest answers to any of your questions that no one would take the time to ask. I would hope a few readers of this post can appreciate me coming forward to answer your questions that you could have gotten answered in a private setting. I am not in this to cause heart ache for Rarin to go or anyone else. If I decide do decide to create additional items in the future I will make my listings even more clear based on your comments. For yourselfs, it may be a much nicer approach to start with a polite email to the seller before lighting them up in a public forum or send rude messages at least on the first time around. I was not, and am not out to rip anyone off. I only intended to provide a chance for someone to own a unique, quality made, one of a kind item at a reasonable price for the average Joe collector. Not everyone has an unlimited budget to go against the high end collector like your self’s. eNuf said….
well said.. cool
Posted By: keithia Re: Frontier clock looks wrong...any opinions...info? - Sun Apr 14 2013 02:13 AM
If you are going to do that put a date on your logos please.
Dated ITEMS protect all collectors, young, old & Future generations.
Low budget to UN-limited resources, NO ONE Wants to feel they have been Doused/Doped/Duped w/ an UN-MARKED Fake.

You don't have to state you offer a REFUND w/o postage.
IF the buyer files a PayPal claim for Refund, PP will Deduct the Item Cost & ALL Postage/Shipping paid by buyer [even if buyer Returns to you an Empty Box]!
Proper descriptions in the first instance protect everyone.

Experienced collectors should know better, rather then jump on the e-Bay bandwagon and take advantage of other unsuspecting inexperienced collectors. If you have a POS clock that sells for 3 or 4 times what you could get from locals in a face to face transaction...then it shouldn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that you are being deceptive. You can sugar coat BS but it's still turd!

Greed is greed. Wish more people would rise above it.
Posted By: JimT Re: Frontier clock looks wrong...any opinions...info? - Sun Apr 14 2013 10:45 AM
Another "nice guy", like Piedmont restorations. Getting ganged up by all of us bullies on Oldgas who have nothing better to do than go around and bash the good guys in the hobby just trying to help their fellow man out. You know, the ones that cant afford the "real" stuff.
Back in the 1920s through 1960s the greed and ignorance was so bad in the country that the Cuyahoga river used to catch fire and burn uncontrollably from all the garbage being dumped into it. Thats how ebay and some other advertising auctions are getting.
Thats about the most pleasant thing I can come up with right this second.
QUOTE-" I only intended to provide a chance for someone to own a unique, quality made, one of a kind item at a reasonable price for the average Joe collector."-

That is so kind of you----BUT-what you're doing is creating a fantasy piece that the average collector can be duped into paying exorbitant amounts for! If the big profits weren't there, you wouldn't be providing this "SERVICE". It borders on fraud!

I can understand it when a single item is produced for a friend, but this is worldwide marketing of fantasy items!
Posted By: Old Iron Re: Frontier clock looks wrong...any opinions...info? - Sun Apr 14 2013 02:36 PM
I agree with Keithia's polite request to please put a date on your logos.I think not too many of us will seriously object if you date your work and describe it as what it is;a newly made decorator piece of sorts.

I say that because I think many of us,myself included,have accepted the fact that dated reproduction/fantasy pieces are a part of the hobby and are here to stay whether we like it or not.So,IMO,all you have to do is date your work and the problem goes away.
If he thought my email was "rude" he should have seen the first draft! LOL!
He is bragging about his "restorations" but NOTHING in his original listing indicated it was anything but real. "I have nothing to hide am an honest person and honest seller." He used words like "vintage" and "restorable" like it was old. The clock might have been old but he said NOTHING in his listing that even hinted at it being a new/reproduction/fake face on the clock!
I'm just glad no one got burned on this fake clock. At least not yet anyway!
And if you have "nothing to hide" why not tell the truth about what you are selling up front! That you put a fake logo on an old clock! That is how someone with nothing to hide would have listed it!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk