Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Brass 5 Gallon Standard Can - Fri Sep 21 2012 05:52 PM
A friend contacted me about this old Standard Oil tank wagon bulk can. I have never seen an all brass one before. Appears to be exactly like the common steel ones. Anyone seen one before?....any knowledge of why it may have been made in brass instead of steel?. He paid pretty good for it,it is a cool piece, any ideas on value?

Jim

Attached picture copper1.jpg
Attached picture copper2.jpg
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Brass 5 Gallon Standard Can - Fri Sep 21 2012 06:43 PM
W/ the solder appearing to be the same color as can, I'm thinking it has been Plated. Check w/ a magnet.
Posted By: SuperAmerica Man Re: Brass 5 Gallon Standard Can - Fri Sep 21 2012 07:33 PM
Hi Jim,
I have a friend that does metal polishing and he has shared with me over the years that he has had customers with Brass transfer cans, Standard, Conoco, Sinclair. He said they were all painted before he stripped and polished them. So, they exist but are uncommon and the ones you want if you collect them. Value on T-Cans imo is whatever someone will pay...to me they don’t have much value unless you’re looking to complete a station theme or wagon.

Have Fun,
Kim
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Brass 5 Gallon Standard Can - Fri Sep 21 2012 08:29 PM
No matter how you slice it, that thing is beautiful IMO!! I would love one just for the bling. With lights shining off of it it would be cool!! If you don't mind, how much did he have to pay?
Posted By: Mr.Wadhams Re: Brass 5 Gallon Standard Can - Sat Sep 22 2012 12:18 AM
I haven't seen it in person, he descibed the can and it didn't dawn on me just how nice it would look in brass....but then I saw the pictures...Wow!,that is cool. He paid $300.

My thoughts are if it is solid brass he did OK. If it is just plated...probably overpaid?

Do you think some obscure laws somewhere specified non-sparking brass cans, is the reason they exist? I believe they make brass wrenches for the no sparking quality it has.

Jim
Posted By: JimT Re: Brass 5 Gallon Standard Can - Sun Sep 23 2012 11:13 AM
300.00 doesnt seem crazy at all, if its original. The spark idea seems to make sense.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk