Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Hugh Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 07:44 PM
Is it normal to tear down the whole pump when restoring, including taking the original frame apart? Thanks Hugh
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 08:19 PM
It's your own choice on how you want it done. It's like with a car, do I just fix up the body / interior or do a ground up restoration. I don't always take apart the frame but I do blast it as a whole and paint it so that if someone puts it in there house, there is no issues with grease/oil/gas. and it makes for a nice restoration all the way through. If I do one for a customer, I let them make that decision and of course it makes a difference on what I charge to restore one.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 08:25 PM
Thanks for your input Mike. The pumps I restore are for my workshop so I am going to leave the frame together and just sandblast it and powdercoat it. Hugh
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 08:26 PM
here's a Gilbarco one I did to Phillips 66

http://www.oldgas.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Main=50747&Number=319770#Post319770
Posted By: LC 336 Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 08:30 PM
Because I do put mine in the house, I take apart every last nut bolt and frame rail.
I like to make sure where the parts get bolted together those areas are sandblasted and painted.
It's really not that much more work to do it.
Just take lots of pictures, they don't go back together as easy as they come apart.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 08:33 PM
Thanks I can always use pictures like that to keep me upbeat. I don't have the ability to sandblast of powdercoat myself so I will have to send all my parts out to get done. Wish me luck! Hugh
Posted By: Hugh Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 08:34 PM
Thanks Lee for your input.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 08:35 PM
As Mike says, IT'S YOUR CHOICE.
Some will replace the hose & nozzle for display AS IS.
Others will replace all bolts/screws all the way down including frame bolts w/ Stainless Bolts & fasteners that weren't available when pump was made. Then Hot or Rat Rod the paint job.

Not so much w/ a visible but when doing electrics TAKE LOTS OF PIC's during tear down. You'd be surprised how much you forget where/how a part goes back in & in What order!
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 08:43 PM
agreed here... Lots of photos! I use my droid cell phone as I tear it down as it's so easy to access the photos when re-assembly comes as It always seems to be weeks and sometime months between teardown and re-assembly!

Good Luck, you will enjoy yourself as with this addiction, it's great stress management for all the other things in life that drive you crazy. And you will enjoy the finished product!
Posted By: Hugh Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 08:44 PM
Dick this is where the problem is. I am building my 36b from frame only. There never was a complete pump, just the frame. Hugh
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 09:03 PM
Personally,I like to see gas pumps,signs & oil cabinets left alone with their heritage & battle scars still showing & say leave them as found if you can.
More then ever,it seems like everyone is stripping them,repainting them shiny BC/CC and putting shiney new bolts,washers and vinyl decals all over them.
If they're going into a Chucky Cheese,I guess that makes sense.

I'll jump over 5 restored pumps,to see the one on the end that's never been restored.
In other words,patina please.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 09:07 PM
Rick I understand where you are coming from, but I have other pumps in my shop that aren't restored that I now need something shiney to brighten the workspace.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 09:26 PM
I hear ya,but can I persuade you to sell the unrestored pumps,and buy ones the have already been restored,to brighten your workspace.
Seems like for every pump that is left alone,10 others are being stripped & sprayed.
At this rate,the day is fast coming when no one will have any nice original examples anymore.
Posted By: tooter Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 09:32 PM
boy coldpizza you'd love it at my house!

3 somebody else restored and 34 all original.

I love em all

same with signs. mint are great and so's the rust old 50.00 sign.
Posted By: tallgye49 Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 09:35 PM
I always took mine completely apart and started the restoration from there. Just my preference.
Posted By: Mike M. Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 09:38 PM
Rick for every one I restore there is another pump in my collection that I have left with it's original "Petina".
I always look at them as "what will make this pump better or worse?" and then move forward. If it's a survivor, it's got lots of stories!!!
Posted By: gulfiend! Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 10:35 PM
Originally Posted By: coldpizza
Seems like for every pump that is left alone,10 others are being stripped & sprayed.
At this rate,the day is fast coming when no one will have any nice original examples anymore.

...key word being 'nice'...I think the 'nice' ones (i.e., that milk-glass-clockface otherworldly Signal pump that Dennis has) are being left alone...I know what you're saying, and I agree for the most part...but there's patina - and there's brown rust and missing parts...
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Fri Jun 15 2012 11:29 PM
Any pump at any time can be restored/painted/displayed or left as is, when it's your pump DO AS YOU PLEASE.

WE are only Caretakers of this stuff, it will still be around LONG after WE are gone.
Posted By: Lost Highway Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Sat Jun 16 2012 12:03 AM
I leave them all alone unless they are rust brown.. i have been offended by some pumps that have been sandblasted.. i agree and disagree with dick and sometimes wonder if anyone really has the right to remove original paint? Being a younger guy (23) in the pump hobby i hope to be able to find original paint stuff when i actually can afford this hobby and not be forced to fix others mistakes and wonder what once was.
Posted By: LC 336 Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Sat Jun 16 2012 12:12 AM
If your doing a 36B and all you have is the frame. I would almost think about looking for a complete one. The parts for a 36B is pricy.
Keeping them unrestored is nice if they have patina, but not all pumps do.
I find five to one that has no patina and needs to be restored. It Could have to do with living in CO.
But lets face it when all the paint's gone restore it, then the pump comes back to life for years to come.
I still enjoy looking at all the pumps that I have done over the years, it never gets old.
Bottom line is, pumps that are restored right, look killer!!!
Hugh, keep us posted with the progress.
Posted By: Hugh Re: Restoring Gas Pumps - Sat Jun 16 2012 12:58 AM
Will do, I have most the parts I need now, I just have to find the time to work on it. Owning my own business gives me little time to work on them sometimes. Take care!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk