Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Stu K. Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 12:06 AM
Thought you would like to know, new book out, ink still wet, His explanation about gradation (Very in depth), gradation of rarity, almost all about signs, $30, pickuped at show, available online, worth every penny!!!

Attached picture 004.JPG
Posted By: grabber Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 12:11 AM
+1 smile Great book...good job Dan & Crew!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 12:14 AM
don't see this book on this site "bookstore"
or online..Please direct
Posted By: Esse's Garage Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 12:19 AM
I bought one too, and think it is a Great Book.
Posted By: 57tbirdkid Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 12:21 AM
I did not see it on the site book store. Amazon has it.
Posted By: oldnfuelish Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 12:27 AM
Got mine and like it.
Posted By: HI-OCTANE Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 12:33 AM
Just call Matthews Auctions and ask for book " Fine art for collecting Petroliana "

1-877-968-8880 Looks like a really neat book I'm going to order mine.
Posted By: chipp4242 Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 12:34 AM
You can go to http://www.matthewsauctions.com/ and order it directly from him. I ordered mine yesterday and can not wait to get it.
Posted By: moore798 Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 01:11 AM
Picked one up at the show.Full of great info and pictures.Worth the money!
Posted By: advertologist Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 01:12 AM
Thank You..
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 01:29 AM
I ordered mine a few days ago.
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 02:10 AM
I picked one up at the show and paged thru it quickly! Can't wait to read it more in depth. This will be a great resource for several years!
Posted By: always lookin Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 04:26 AM
Thanks, ordered!
Posted By: THE AMERICAN GARAGE Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 11:36 AM
NICE! I will be looking forward to purchasing a new petro related book....it's been a while since one has come out.
Posted By: Dick Bennett Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Mon Aug 08 2011 10:58 PM
GREAT BOOK, Prices are of actual auction items. Not guesstimates by inexperience web shoppers.
Posted By: Dave Richey Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Tue Aug 09 2011 12:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
GREAT BOOK, Prices are of actual auction items. Not guesstimates by inexperience web shoppers.

Well, I was going to say, "Please tell me it doesn't include a price guide...". We all know about opinions, but the price of the objects we collect is about as subjective as you can get, in my opinion, At one space in time at on particular place, one particular person anted up a certain amount of money for a particular item. We have no clue as to the real reason he paid that particular price nor can we predict whether or not the next person at the next auction will pay half as much or twice as much. Then, the general public gets wind of the price only (print is still a powerful medium) and suddenly antyhing even remotely resembling the original item is worth a fortune. And so on and so forth.

Another problem, in my opinion, is the longevity of the book. One year, three years, ten years down the road, sixteen different factors have influenced the value of the object(s), but you can bet some peckerwood is going to pull out that price guide and there you go again.

THIS IS MY OPINION-it is not to start a ******* contest of differing opinions and it is certainly not meant to discredit the author (of whom I have no personal knowledge or opinion of) nor to discourage anyone from buying the book. I'm certainly going to buy one- for information and entertainment; not to rate his pricing guide nor to valuate my piddly collection. I'm done. : )
Posted By: oillease55 Re: Dan Matthews new book. - Tue Aug 09 2011 11:12 AM
If you want past auction results go to his web site and click past auctions, it's free. I've got enough picture books already. ;;;;;;;Ron
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk