Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Fabman Any tips are appreciated! - Sun Nov 06 2022 01:37 PM
Just picked up a couple old pumps yesterday and have no clue where to begin my semi restoration of these. They are going to sit outside at my faux gas station so no need to go too crazy on them. Any tips are greatly appreciated!

Attached File
Attached File
Posted By: Fabman Re: Any tips are appreciated! - Sun Nov 06 2022 02:17 PM
Also, curious if I should remove the insides or leave it all in?
Posted By: Wasatch Man Re: Any tips are appreciated! - Sun Nov 06 2022 03:42 PM
There is a lot of controversy surrounding that question . My opinion is absolutely leave them in keep the pumps original and complete .
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Any tips are appreciated! - Sun Nov 06 2022 03:49 PM
If they are going outside, leaving the motor and pump in will keep them heavy and more difficult to steal.
Posted By: Yellowzebra Re: Any tips are appreciated! - Sun Nov 06 2022 05:36 PM
Here in South Africa, conventional wisdom is to gut ‘farm’ (non-retail) pumps, but that RETAIL pumps should most always be left unmolested/complete….

YMMV, but that is food for thought!
Cheers
Chris
Posted By: Fabman Re: Any tips are appreciated! - Sun Nov 06 2022 06:37 PM
Great responses, y’all have brought up the exact thoughts I have had. I think I will leave the guts in since they aren’t going to be indoors and even though I live out in the desert in a very small town, I do worry about theft. I do have cameras though and will likely bolt them down too. Thanks for the great responses!
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: Any tips are appreciated! - Sun Nov 06 2022 07:59 PM
Hold onto your Guts! smile
Posted By: Tankar Re: Any tips are appreciated! - Sun Nov 06 2022 09:29 PM
Pumps I keep inside I got but unbolt I dont go into it with a cutoff or sawzall and tear out. I keep the parts for future if I sell. Keeping the parts in it they hold stale gas and could smell. Jmo.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Any tips are appreciated! - Tue Nov 08 2022 07:39 PM
I agree 100% with Jim. If they’re going outside, leave the guts in to make theft a little harder. And yes, bolt them down to prevent theft.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Any tips are appreciated! - Wed Nov 09 2022 07:12 PM
I'd remove the guts, going inside or outside wouldn't matter to me. Will make it easier to rewire the pumps too. Being heavy is helpful in stealing, but you really need to bolt them down or chain them up anyway.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk