Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: It's for sale PayPal tax report - Sun Jan 30 2022 03:35 PM
I'm confused. Different press articles say different things.
A 1099k form to be issued after $600 total received.
One article says " friends and family " transactions exempt.
Anybody checked with a " Tax advisor" yet?
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: PayPal tax report - Sun Jan 30 2022 05:30 PM
I havent talked to tax advisor but we are already gearing up for this. Asking prices on ebay need to go up, again, to cover paying taxes on it. We are keeping every receipt we can think of to create a cost basis, but good look to the tax man to figure out what we paid on an item we bought years ago or us for that matter.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: PayPal tax report - Sun Jan 30 2022 06:08 PM
Just one more reason why I won't sell on Ebay,or use Paypal.
Posted By: Tankar Re: PayPal tax report - Sun Jan 30 2022 11:23 PM
Agree a 100% I'm done with all of it.
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: PayPal tax report - Mon Jan 31 2022 03:37 AM
We stopped selling on feebay and just about to drop PayPal too.
Posted By: SWABBY Re: PayPal tax report - Mon Jan 31 2022 03:01 PM
I also refuse to use either of these two. Just too much hassle.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: PayPal tax report - Mon Jan 31 2022 05:13 PM
I cant really afford to give up on ebay, too many good buyers on there. I can up the costs of my items though to compensate for all their fees and now tax implications.
Posted By: smokey1 Re: PayPal tax report - Wed Feb 02 2022 01:24 AM
Ebay collects sales tax from the buyer of an item on their platform.
Ebay then is responsible for submitting state tax as they base it on the purchaser's ship to address and have collected it.

So when did Ebay start 1099 the seller? 2022 or 2021?
Posted By: smokey1 Re: PayPal tax report - Wed Feb 02 2022 01:34 AM
Found this March 2021 online document regarding Ebay subject:

Starting next year, the federal threshold for issuing the 1099-K will drop to $600 with no minimum transaction level, due to a provision in the recently enacted American Rescue Plan Act. (Some states already have lower minimums.)

This means that in early 2023, you could receive a 1099-K for online sales you make in 2022. And this would be the case whether you’re an occasional seller or are operating as a business, as long as you sold more than $600 worth on a single platform. It doesn’t necessarily mean you’d be taxed on the money, but you would need to account for it on your tax return.
Posted By: mcgas Re: PayPal tax report - Wed Feb 02 2022 05:37 PM
One aspect I don't understand is that ebay is charging/collecting sales tax for purchases made by US buyers from Canadian sellers??
Posted By: It's for sale Re: PayPal tax report - Thu Feb 03 2022 03:28 PM
I understood the sales tax, the 1099K is for federal income tax.
looks like amount over $600 a year gets a form.
You need receipts for cost and sales.
Looks like it doesn't matter if it's " Friends" or not.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: PayPal tax report - Thu Feb 03 2022 06:47 PM
Originally Posted by It's for sale
Looks like it doesn't matter if it's " Friends" or not.

What the hell?? So eBay is charging the buyer tax for the government (which I knew) and now the seller is getting taxed on the same money over $600 for the same sale?????

If I buy an item for over $600 at the store, yes I pay sales tax, but the store doesn’t pay tax on their incoming money !!!

And they’re going to tax friends and family money on PayPal ??? WTH.

Does anyone know if the seller is taxed over $600 on other platforms such as google pay or Venmo ??
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: PayPal tax report - Thu Feb 03 2022 06:59 PM
I dont think friends and family is affected, as those are not suppose to be "goods". If you get paid for goods via F&F, technically you are suppose to file on those but it wont trigger a 1099.

Any payment service is affected, Venmo included. It's not ebay, paypal, venmo, doing this, they are responding to government regulation unfortunately.

I think Facebook marketplace is OK for now, but paypal will get you if they pay through there I think.

I think the thing to do is have a cost basis ready to go on everything. We are collecting every receipt we can get. Here's some info:

https://newsroom.paypal-corp.com/20...ing-Requirements-Your-Questions-Answered
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: PayPal tax report - Fri Feb 04 2022 02:47 AM
Originally Posted by Speedracer
If I buy an item for over $600 at the store, yes I pay sales tax, but the store doesn’t pay tax on their incoming money !!!

Of course they do, every business is taxed on income coming in, that is where receipts, expenses, etc. Come into play to lower that tax.
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: PayPal tax report - Fri Feb 04 2022 02:50 AM
Originally Posted by It's for sale
You need receipts for cost and sales.

Only if you were to get audited
Posted By: Speedracer Re: PayPal tax report - Fri Feb 04 2022 03:19 AM
Originally Posted by KZ1000

Of course they do, every business is taxed on income coming in, that is where receipts, expenses, etc. Come into play to lower that tax.

Dang, I didn’t know that. Then they also pay taxes when they originally bought the same item from their supplier too !!!!!! Then the same money is used to pay the employees who get taxed on their paycheck. Whew.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: PayPal tax report - Fri Feb 04 2022 04:30 AM
Dang, I didn’t know that. Then they also pay taxes when they originally bought the same item from their supplier too !!!!!! Then the same money is used to pay the employees who get taxed on their paycheck. Whew.

If a seller does not have a sales tax account number and pays tax on items to resell, that tax, the cost of the item, shipping and other legit expenses are deducted from his gross sales to get a net profit that is taxed as income.

A vendor who charges sales tax gets an account number from the state. He uses that number when he buys inventory to resell and doesn't pay a sales tax on it. He also can deduct inventory costs and other expenses to determine taxable net profit income.
Posted By: oiljobber Re: PayPal tax report - Fri Feb 04 2022 10:22 PM
Facebook auctions are next. If you're selling in those auctions better keep the records for taxes for everyone of those broadcasts are archived on facebooks servers.
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: PayPal tax report - Fri Feb 04 2022 10:42 PM
If current proposals pass,everyone who does any commerce through their bank account is gonna have to deal with this ... if you run your sales through a bank account that sees $10,000 run through it per year(which includes all of our personal bank accounts) ... it can now be tracked by the irs.

Hairdressers, home health care workers, wrenching on the side, selling petro, etc ...

They will be looking for sources of $ hitting your account that's not linked to a w2 or 1099.

They're already hitting crypto exchanges and making them send out 1099's.

Our world is changing, it's gonna be tough to get $ in and out of the economy without it being tracked.

Face to face $ transactions still good ... just put the cash in your safe.
Posted By: Huskerscott Re: PayPal tax report - Sat Feb 05 2022 01:09 AM
looking at my ebay statement a little closer it seems I'm paying commsion on the total sale plus tax, plus shipping location? Doesn't seem right to pay a commision on the tax. Taxing the tax
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: PayPal tax report - Sun Feb 06 2022 03:31 AM
Originally Posted by Ohio Oil
If current proposals pass,everyone who does any commerce through their bank account is gonna have to deal with this ... if you run your sales through a bank account that sees $10,000 run through it per year(which includes all of our personal bank accounts) ... it can now be tracked by the irs.

Hairdressers, home health care workers, wrenching on the side, selling petro, etc ...

They will be looking for sources of $ hitting your account that's not linked to a w2 or 1099.

They're already hitting crypto exchanges and making them send out 1099's.

Our world is changing, it's gonna be tough to get $ in and out of the economy without it being tracked.

Face to face $ transactions still good ... just put the cash in your safe.

I had heard that proposal was put aside. It needs to stay dead, hopefully!
Posted By: Coops 427 Re: PayPal tax report - Mon Feb 07 2022 02:55 AM
I got a 1099 form over the weekend for my 2021 Ebay sales. I've already talked to my tax people and I have to pay tax on $6,500 for my 2021 Ebay sales. I know it really sucks. I understood if it was under $20k you were good till 2022, I guess not. I pulled all my Ebay listings and I'm done. It's been a good ride for many years but the party's over.
Posted By: RandyM Re: PayPal tax report - Tue Feb 08 2022 01:57 PM
Unfortunately, it isn't Ebay that is the problem, it is the IRS and the Feds. The IRS is still trying to figure out how to tax you at swap meets and shows.
Posted By: It's for sale Re: PayPal tax report - Wed Feb 09 2022 09:06 PM
https://www.foxbusiness.com/money/irs-information-collected-venmo-cashapp-paypal
Posted By: Speedracer Re: PayPal tax report - Wed Feb 09 2022 09:57 PM
Originally Posted by RandyM
Unfortunately, it isn't Ebay that is the problem, it is the IRS and the Feds. The IRS is still trying to figure out how to tax you at swap meets and shows.
The exact reason they want to get rid of cash.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: PayPal tax report - Wed Feb 09 2022 10:16 PM
..and the reason why I won't convert to Krypto currency either.
Posted By: Jarvis Re: PayPal tax report - Wed Feb 09 2022 10:58 PM
Let make the gas shows the place to buy and sell and go back to cash sales!!!
Posted By: advertologist Re: PayPal tax report - Thu Feb 10 2022 12:31 AM
.. ... cool

Attached picture 1usam.PNG
Posted By: It's for sale Re: PayPal tax report - Fri Mar 11 2022 05:34 PM
Interesting

https://www.journalofaccountancy.co...099-k-threshold-cautions-criticisms.html
Posted By: mapper Re: PayPal tax report - Mon Mar 14 2022 03:04 PM
great article...thanks for posting.
Posted By: It's for sale Re: PayPal tax report - Sun Apr 10 2022 03:14 PM
https://www.newsnationnow.com/busin...ou-may-need-a-1099-k-tax-form-heres-why/
Posted By: It's for sale Re: PayPal tax report - Tue Apr 19 2022 04:38 PM
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2022/apr/18/tax-day-venmo-paypal-us-tax-code-changes
Posted By: mapper Re: PayPal tax report - Wed Apr 20 2022 11:47 AM
There was an editorial in the Wall Street Journal a couple of weeks ago about the form. It explained many issues; how millions of people will be affected next tax season, they'll have no idea its coming, and the IRS has no way to handle the influx of questions and needs people will have. Nothing new, but its getting more and more attention. Whoever wrote it called out the need to change the amount that requires the form. Hopefully Congress will listen. Unlikely, but I have many dreams.
Posted By: It's for sale Re: PayPal tax report - Wed May 18 2022 09:16 PM
PayPal

Tax rules have changed
We’ve got you covered with all the details:
Beginning January 1, 2022, the IRS implemented new reporting guidelines for individuals receiving goods and services payments on PayPal and other platforms totaling $600 or more per year.

So what exactly does this mean for you?

Well, if you’re getting payments from friends and family members, this won’t apply (lucky you!). Friends and family payments are things like splitting a bill, sharing apartment expenses, or paying back friends. None of these are reported.

The new tax requirements only apply to goods and services payments. These transactions are tagged in the app by a buyer, indicating they’re purchasing something like a couch from a seller. Payments received by a Seller Profile are also goods and services payments.

If you receive over $600 in goods and services payments, we’ll automatically keep track of these payments and provide you with a 1099-K form at the end of the year. If your tax info is not complete, we’ll reach out to you with instructions.

And remember, this only applies to receiving goods and services payments. Payments that you send are not reported.

This info isn’t tax advice. Please consult your tax advisor about these. If you need more info, you can learn more here.
Posted By: Cold Pizza Re: PayPal tax report - Wed May 18 2022 09:18 PM
Thanks paypal. frown
Posted By: Huskerscott Re: PayPal tax report - Thu May 19 2022 06:37 PM
ebay is holding my funds until I give them a SSN for a 1099 form
Posted By: garyh Re: PayPal tax report - Tue May 31 2022 04:34 AM
The little Guy gets Screwed again !
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: PayPal tax report - Sat Jun 04 2022 03:16 PM
#&%@

Attached picture 5CDF497F-6F4A-4C8B-A70C-4A29365CE839.jpeg
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk