Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Teach Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Fri Dec 03 2021 01:15 PM
My family spends some time traveling in an old RV each summer and we are always on the lookout for interesting stops. I have found quite a few car museums, particularly in New England, but I would be grateful if anyone could steer me to any petroliana collections or museums, car museums, etc. that are open to the public. We will probably stay within the eastern half of the US this coming summer, so anything in that area would be particularly good. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Fri Dec 03 2021 01:20 PM
SimplerTimes in NW Pa
Posted By: Teach Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Fri Dec 03 2021 01:30 PM
Originally Posted by Bill jr
SimplerTimes in NW Pa
ABSOLUTELY! We were there last summer and were blown away. John gave my sons a DVD of his dad narrating a tour of the place and it has been fun to go back and watch a few times. That man was an encyclopedia of knowldege.

Thanks for this recommendation. Keep them coming!
Posted By: Bill jr Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Fri Dec 03 2021 11:48 PM
iF YOU GET TO THE NW CORNER OF PA CALL YOU CAN STOP HERE
Posted By: Rick S. Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Sat Dec 04 2021 12:04 AM
If you ever find yourself in Michigan, The Gilmore car museum in Hickory Corners, (between Kalamazoo & Grand Rapids) may blow your brains out!! I won't try to explain, just look it up!
The main lobby has Duesenberg's to start! Top of the line to say the least.
Posted By: Teach Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Sat Dec 04 2021 12:09 AM
Originally Posted by Bill jr
iF YOU GET TO THE NW CORNER OF PA CALL YOU CAN STOP HERE
If we are going to be in that area I will reach out. Thanks.
Posted By: Teach Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Sat Dec 04 2021 12:18 AM
Originally Posted by Rick S.
If you ever find yourself in Michigan, The Gilmore car museum in Hickory Corners, (between Kalamazoo & Grand Rapids) may blow your brains out!! I won't try to explain, just look it up!
The main lobby has Duesenberg's to start! Top of the line to say the least.

You said it, Rick! The Gilmore was also on our trip last summer, and yes, it was amazing. My 13 year-old boys were nearly as awe struck as me, and my very tolerant wife loved it as well. One of my sons is into Vettes, while the other is into Mustangs, and neither was disappointed, to be sure.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture IMG_8252.JPG
Posted By: Teach Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Sat Dec 04 2021 12:26 AM
I know they all aren't going to be like the Gilmore, or even Simpler Times, but sometimes the smaller ones can be better for learning, conversations, etc.
Posted By: Teach Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Tue Jan 04 2022 11:24 PM
Well, I found the Old Gas Sites to Visit Page with links to quite a few sites. I am still firming up the vacation plans, but I hope to get to some of them next summer.
Posted By: Paleale Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Fri Jan 14 2022 08:27 PM
This one is fairly local and worth a visit if you haven't already been.

I used to take my kids all the time when they were young. We still call it the car castle.

https://larzanderson.org/history/
Posted By: Teach Re: Looking for East Coast Museums, Collections, etc. - Sat Jan 15 2022 01:55 AM
Originally Posted by Paleale
This one is fairly local and worth a visit if you haven't already been.

I used to take my kids all the time when they were young. We still call it the car castle.

https://larzanderson.org/history/

Yes, that's a good one. We've spent quite a few Father's Days there for German Car Day.

[Linked Image]

Attached picture Lars_2014.JPG
Maybe the National Packard Museum in Warren, Ohio
https://packardmuseum.org/
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk