Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bri250 Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Sun Nov 14 2021 05:34 AM
Hey all, new to the forums.

I am looking at a listing for a Texaco license plate topper, allegedly from a service station in Nebraska. Admittedly, I know little about determining the real deal from a fake. An internet search yielded nothing similar to this, which would lead me to believe that is not real, but again, I know little.

So I would greatly appreciate any input.

Thanks

Attached picture Screenshot_20211113-230734~2.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20211113-230826~2.jpg
Attached picture Screenshot_20211113-230838~2.jpg
Posted By: richlube Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Sun Nov 14 2021 02:45 PM
fake
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Sun Nov 14 2021 04:34 PM
Vernon Co. exists and is a promotional product supplier.
https://www.vernonpromotions.com/
Posted By: hawkike Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Sun Nov 14 2021 05:02 PM
I think it is the "REAL McCOY"-as Randy would say!

Newton has been around for many years.
Posted By: RMikita Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Sun Nov 14 2021 06:17 PM
An indication of authenticity can be determined by the seller's endless supply. Just check out their sold listings. I would have to agree with RICHLUBE.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Sun Nov 14 2021 07:03 PM
Yeah Frank I have owned a few Maytags in my life and have even had the privilege of visiting Newton a few times. However the company on the topper hasn't been around for a while and they do promotional work. The license plate is one of their items.
Posted By: RandyM Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Mon Nov 15 2021 01:35 PM
I am confused. You guys are saying this is genuine based on the existence of a of the place printed on it? Your logic doesn't make sense to me. Just trying to learn something here.
Posted By: richlube Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Mon Nov 15 2021 03:13 PM
bingo, what RMikita said
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Mon Nov 15 2021 05:45 PM
The quantity of toppers that the seller has is immaterial. License plate toppers is an item that a station owner/dealer literally would have dozens of...it's not like a sign hanging on his station.

I once came across 50+ nos Marathon license plate toppers in one box from a long closed Marathon station.

Imo ... authenticity should be more about font, proper logo for the period, size, similar proven counterfeits, and other such criteria instead of how many someone happens to have.

Jm2c
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Mon Nov 15 2021 07:18 PM
I have no clue on authenticity, but I agree 100%with Ohio Oil. Just because a guy has quantity, does not mean fake or repop. Especially on a promotional give away item that a station may have ordered hundreds at a time, then one of us finds a box of them in modern times. I’ve been there and done that.
Posted By: aajf Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Wed Nov 24 2021 04:05 AM
Hi,
Well I know the March 7th 1947 Cairo Record paper has a long as advertising about Lloyd's Texaco quality of service. The address was at 322 Least 2nd St Cairo, NE. Lloyd's name was Lloyd E. Jacoby. A unique name. Maybe his family in the area can verify????. Good luck. Andrew

Attached picture Screenshot_20211123-200419.png
Posted By: Steven C. Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Wed Nov 24 2021 12:37 PM
I'm curious what the gang says about this guys stuff
0 negative feedback seems a good sign?? No?

https://www.ebay.com/usr/northwoodtrading?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2754

Attached picture signs.JPG
Posted By: 52 Flathead Re: Texaco License Plate Topper, Authentic? - Sun Apr 10 2022 01:03 AM
From what I can determine these type of toppers are all fakes. They all have the same one piece two hole design all with the same rust stains in the same places. There are dozens and dozens of sellers on eBay that showed up like a year ago all selling these fake toppers, same junk. Some of them actually wouldn't be that bad if they would stop with the fake rust already and sell them as repros for a decent price!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk