Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: George Sager MS 80 - Tue Aug 17 2021 11:00 PM
Can some one tell me if the light switch on an 80 is it a push pull or does it rotate? mine is frozen and I think it would push am I right Thanks for any help also looking for a tall base.
Posted By: T-way Re: MS 80 - Tue Aug 17 2021 11:08 PM
Rotate.

Clockwise for on . . .
Posted By: George Sager Re: MS 80 - Tue Aug 17 2021 11:28 PM
Thank you
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: MS 80 - Wed Aug 18 2021 02:37 AM
The MS 80 switch does rotate as has been indicated. I have rewired many of those electrical manifolds and can help if you have ?s. Welcome to OG. Neil
Posted By: George Sager Re: MS 80 - Wed Aug 18 2021 03:04 PM
Any trick to getting a frozen cap off the manifold I have never ran into one that I could not brake lose until this one I have used wd 40 and blaster and even tried a propane torch
Posted By: Restore-Pumps Re: MS 80 - Wed Aug 18 2021 06:16 PM
Need pictures of which cap that you are trying to remove.
Posted By: George Sager Re: MS 80 - Wed Aug 18 2021 06:34 PM
The one on the top of the manifold right above the switch

the one on the top of the
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: MS 80 - Wed Aug 18 2021 07:56 PM
I always take the manifold out of the pump. I have clamped the box in a vise with the lid on. top. Then I use a hammer to hit on the side of the box below the cap while I hold a hammer directly across from where I am hitting. I move around the box as much as the castings allow with sharp blows trying to jar the threads loose. I alternate heating the box and letting it cool hoping that expansion and contraction will also break the threads loose. Heat, hammer, lubricate and repeat, soak the threads or the seam where the cap meets the box and let it soak overnight. Good Luck
Posted By: George Sager Re: MS 80 - Wed Aug 18 2021 09:16 PM
That is what I have been doing I only tried the heat one time didn't what to get the switch to hot thanks
Posted By: cggas Re: MS 80 - Wed Aug 18 2021 09:40 PM
Usually a little penatrating oil on the brass shaft going into the switch housing will get the light switch working again.
Posted By: gasmansgp Re: MS 80 - Thu Aug 19 2021 11:50 AM
Always place unit in a good vise and tighten well....On really stuck caps, I use a Makita grinder with a thin cut off wheel. Move it around the area where the cap meets the body. By cutting in as far as the threads, you will heat up the aluminum. In most cases a little Kroils will do the rest? If not, you might have to resort to using a cold chisel around the edges with a bfh. Paul www.severngaspumps.com
Posted By: gatorgaspumps Re: MS 80 - Thu Aug 19 2021 01:43 PM
I agree with Paul. For the real stubborn ones I use a cold chisel. Richard
Posted By: Restore-Pumps Re: MS 80 - Thu Aug 19 2021 03:32 PM
I have always used a small air hammer with chisel point at four different locations.. I have also used this small air hammer with rounded chisel for removing sight glass nuts. Be sure to install some duct tape on the sight glass before using the air hammer to prevent breaking the sight glass.

Bruce.
Posted By: George Sager Re: MS 80 - Thu Aug 19 2021 09:15 PM
I have used a chisel and so far no luck. The sight glass nuts came off with no problem used a aluminium pipe wrench and a rubber hammer and they broke loose with a few taps thanks

George
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: MS 80 - Fri Aug 20 2021 02:50 AM
Once the site glasses are out, use a oxy-acetylene torch to heat up the threads around the cap. Get it hot and turn the cap with the pipe wrench. I've done this maybe a dozen times. Works every time.

Torch is your friends disassembling a gas pump. Seems dangerous but only once have I had one light up on me (1 of 100 or so). Way faster than waiting for penetrating fluid to work and then that works only some of the time.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk