Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: 57-Chevy Hanging Signs in your Home - Mon May 31 2021 01:37 PM
Thought this might be an interesting thread. Not being able to go a whole lot this past year we decided it was a good time to update the house.

As most of you know this kind of thing can domino. One room led to another and next thing you know it’s an entire home “No Demo Reno”.

I’ve become way too familiar with a paint brush and nail gun to say the least! But this project has its perks! We are finally incorporating some of our Petro madness into our home to enjoy.

The first pic. is a barn wood accent wall I did in our dining room. The sign came from a local old store/ gas station a few miles up the road from me. The old store is still standing. I got it from a family member that has passed away now. He said this was one of the original signs to the station. This room is still a work in progress but let me know what you think?

The next big addition is going to be a 5’ Esso in the living room. I need some opinions/ ideas on hanging it. This will be on a White shiplap accent wall. The cardboard is only representing the width of the shiplap. It will go all the way to the ceiling.

I really like the band and feel it adds some interest and history (last pic. shows band hanger after I straightened it). I’m thinking about using black iron pipe and 90’s on each end with floor flanges. The other idea is maybe hang without band and add some angled light shades? Ideas welcome!

Let’s see some pics. of your signs hanging inside, especially on shiplap or barn wood walls. Interested to see different hanging methods too.

Attached picture 92EC99DC-C85C-469D-8527-F2C71820927D.jpeg
Attached picture 5FF486C9-C1FB-4BE4-999C-6CAA86714FEE.jpeg
Attached picture 6000F8F0-744D-4EED-AAEF-C0DA8FC7BCF9.jpeg
Attached picture 9267021B-7202-423D-BE7A-4A62CC377A83.jpeg
Posted By: BornTooLate Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Mon May 31 2021 03:03 PM
Looks good. I think you are spot on with the black pipe hanger.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Mon May 31 2021 04:03 PM
you could possibly hang the esso from the ceiling on a chain .. ... cool
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Mon May 31 2021 04:44 PM
Wife is leaning toward sign without the band for a cleaner look. All I can think of to hold it that way is screws with washers to pinch the edges. There’s no holes in the sign.
Posted By: advertologist Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Mon May 31 2021 04:55 PM
what if you paint the frame/bracket dark blue with the black pipe dark blue
chain with eye bolts in the studs in the ceiling ? .. ... cool
Posted By: petropumps Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Mon May 31 2021 05:12 PM
If I was putting it in my shop, I’d do the pipe hanger. In the house, I would hang it directly to the wall. Cleaner look...I agree with the wife.
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Mon May 31 2021 06:30 PM
Originally Posted by advertologist
what if you paint the frame/bracket dark blue with the black pipe dark blue
chain with eye bolts in the studs in the ceiling ? .. ... cool

Randy, I like that idea too. I better go with the cleaner look for the wife. I don’t want to push my luck, not many wives would go for this....
Posted By: Yellow57 Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Mon May 31 2021 07:35 PM
You could youse your template and find studs , take some old 2# 2 old wood you can paint or stain cut an1/8 inch slot in wood pilot ahole thru center and a long black legerdemain lock srcew into stud to progect it away from wall
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Tue Jun 01 2021 12:32 AM
Got the main boards up today. Next are the framing 1x3’s on each side then paint.

Attached picture 143CBB8D-B88C-41C1-9572-D0C3DE08207B.jpeg
Posted By: Hardy's Garage Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Tue Jun 01 2021 01:00 PM
Looking nice Mike! After you finish you should start on the wife's car. Hope she doesn't read these posts..
Posted By: UpnorthNeil Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Tue Jun 01 2021 02:02 PM
Nice Job, I have used some of the plastic mirror mounting brackets with success depending on the weight of the sign obviously, but there are several designs of similar metal brackets as well.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Tue Jun 01 2021 05:04 PM
Originally Posted by UpnorthNeil
Nice Job, I have used some of the plastic mirror mounting brackets with success depending on the weight of the sign obviously, but there are several designs of similar metal brackets as well.

I agree with Neil if you’re just having the sign without the bracket. Use some sort of hanging mounts. Don’t pinch the edges with washers, you will probably lose some porcelain. Maybe some small, thin 1” wide J-iron, with a single hole drilled in the tall part of the J to go into each stud for the bottom of the sign. Then set the sign in the thin groove of the J.

Then an almost flat piece of 2” straight bar (with a slight back and forth bend to make up for the thickness of the sign) with a hole drilled on one side for the top to go into the studs.

Something like the pic below... the ones on the left for the bottom of the sign cut in half (with a thinner groove for the sign). And the ones on the right (minus one of the holes) for the top with a slight kink put in them to make up for the thickness of the sign. Paint em black.

However, with all that being said, I think black pipe angled 90° into the wall with the bracket would look wayyy better.

Good luck,
Steve

Attached picture 4D463E1B-2817-4645-BC09-19B8D15363F8.jpeg
Posted By: jimsjunk Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Tue Jun 01 2021 11:23 PM
Plastic clear mirror clips work very well for me when I'm hanging a sign with no holes. There not very visible, come in different thicknesses and are available at all hardware stores.
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Wed Jun 02 2021 01:19 AM
Another look...this thing ain’t light!

Attached picture 4E5AD5BA-1142-4630-94E4-40F112F77C5A.jpeg
Posted By: Done4 Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Wed Jun 02 2021 01:32 AM
Works for me as long as your wife agrees.
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Wed Jun 02 2021 01:48 AM
I was thinking now maybe eye lag bolts into the wood snd hang by chain. But the hangers do not line up with studs. I’m not sure I trust the eye bolt in that soft white pine board? Might be fine though? Sign and band weighs about 70 lbs.

Wife says it’s not the band itself that bothers her. She doesn’t like it rusty looking. She said if I painted it black it would look good. Not sure I want to paint it...?
Posted By: advertologist Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Wed Jun 02 2021 03:08 AM
eye bolts in ceiling in studs as close too wall as possible centered off wood wall,

paint black pipe &, straps dark blue too match sign, attach chain too eye bolts & black pipe

put decorative balls on each end of black pipe - hang straps too black pipe

trying too lead you too water, the way its going too look the best with the most strength ! .. ... cool
Posted By: T-way Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Wed Jun 02 2021 04:00 PM
You could incorporate a shelve utilizing the black pipe brackets and horizontal hanging pipe above the sign.

There's tons of examples of this on the web.

Search for: steampunk shelf

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: T-way Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Wed Jun 02 2021 04:02 PM
Something like this . . .

Attached picture il_340x270.2210346513_gjpn.jpg
Posted By: advertologist Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Thu Jun 03 2021 12:30 AM
something along this line with the decorative balls on end of black pipe

wouldn't be any holes in the wood as wood would be used for background of sign

when sign was removed from ceiling (wood) would still be cherry, you would have

2 holes in the ceiling too fill & you could call it a day - wife would be happy ! .. ... cool

Attached picture IMG_4135[1].JPG
Attached picture IMG_4136[1].JPG
Posted By: 57-Chevy Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Thu Jul 29 2021 02:27 AM
Here’s what we came up with.

Attached picture B7F5F906-F50B-4B70-9B31-D02A7994C1EE.jpeg
Attached picture 9B9C1630-5FC3-4B3C-89B4-1E2DB4E0DBFB.jpeg
Posted By: Bass Master Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Thu Jul 29 2021 02:47 AM
That turned out awesome, I like it!!

Brian
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Hanging Signs in your Home - Thu Jul 29 2021 03:41 AM
Looks good.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk