Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Teach Milkglass Shell clamshell first appear on pumps? - Fri Feb 12 2021 01:15 PM
First post...I did search but did not find the answer. Does anyone know about when the milkglass Shell clamshell globes first appeared? I realize that once out, they could have been stuck on just about any pump, but I was hoping someone has some evidence of what years/generation of pumps they first appeared on. My motivation is that I have visions of finding a pre-visible and adding the clamshell to it. I can use Photoshop to see how it would look, but if they likely never appeared that way, I might think twice.

Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Oldgas Re: Milkglass Shell clamshell first appear on pumps? - Fri Feb 12 2021 05:02 PM
The authority on Gas Globe identification, history and value is the PCM e-book "Gas Pump Globes"
The 2020 edition says that the most common shell shaped milk glass globe with embossed "SHELL" lettering was used from 1931 to 1960.
It is possible that a non-visible curb pump still in use in the 1930s or later could have had that globe on top if it had a provision for a globe.
Posted By: Teach Re: Milkglass Shell clamshell first appear on pumps? - Fri Feb 12 2021 11:49 PM
Thank you, Jim. That pretty well follows what I would have guessed, but I appreciate the solid information.
There is an early milkglass clam globe that was used in the 20s, not sure if it was used earlier. Here is a picture of some.

Attached picture 440.26.jpg
Attached picture early super shell.jpg
Attached picture 440.26 11-10.jpg
Posted By: Teach Re: Milkglass Shell clamshell first appear on pumps? - Sat Feb 13 2021 04:17 PM
That's interesting. I haven't seen one with those proportions before.
Posted By: hawkike Re: Milkglass Shell clamshell first appear on pumps? - Sat Feb 13 2021 06:49 PM
Never have seen a U.S. Shell globe like these.
Originally Posted by hawkike

first thing that comes too mind is foreign ? .. ... cool
Posted By: hawkike Re: Milkglass Shell clamshell first appear on pumps? - Sat Feb 13 2021 07:40 PM
Originally Posted by advertologist
Originally Posted by hawkike

first thing that comes too mind is foreign ? .. ... cool

Yes.
They are U.S. If you look in the restoration guide in the Shell section it shows them on the visibles. They rarely come up for sale.
Posted By: hawkike Re: Milkglass Shell clamshell first appear on pumps? - Sun Feb 14 2021 12:32 AM
Thanks Matt,still learning!
Posted By: Flatland Re: Milkglass Shell clamshell first appear on pumps? - Thu Feb 18 2021 10:46 PM
It may not be period correct, but since you can still make out the Shell emblem on the lower skin, I like it.

Attached picture 939C4D11-8F7E-4D5C-A356-88A14A62FD9A.jpeg
Looks good!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk