Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 03:21 PM
We are doing a simple viso pump visible in Early early colors. Question is there is no picture that we have that would show if the access or recovery door was orange or Blue. We have done both and thought that the blue was too much and tried the orange. There are to tags or screws on either one so hard to tell which would accent better. The ad we have is for an different pump so it does not show. Too much blue would be maybe not as eye appealing. The cast iron colors are the same as in the photo though. Thoughts anyone ? Mike's decal.

Attached picture IMG_1374.jpeg
Attached picture 60885334362__FEE58EED-DC4E-4BB1-9B40-128BF1BDB3FF.jpeg
Posted By: T-way Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 03:33 PM
I personally like the orange better.

But I think I would stripe the door to match the pump body . . .

I realize that is more work, but it'll make the door dissapear.

Jim
Posted By: advertologist Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 03:52 PM
Originally Posted by T-way
I would stripe the door to match the pump body . . . Jim

agree .. ... cool
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 04:56 PM
Agree with above. Since striping the door would be lot of work, definitely the orange if going solid.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 05:04 PM
Orange door. If you do not want to stripe the door maybe you could do just the flange on the door, that would make it look smaller.
Posted By: Man-Cave-Shoppe Dave Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 05:31 PM
There is Yellow and Black in your decal...
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 06:24 PM
Originally Posted by MATT ALVAREZ
Orange door. If you do not want to stripe the door maybe you could do just the flange on the door, that would make it look smaller.
I like Matt's idea of striping the flange if you don't want to stripe the entire door, but an orange door if you are going with only one color.
Posted By: DWSheffer Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 07:26 PM
Orange would be my suggestion....
Darin
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 07:41 PM
We also thought about Yellow pinstripe because of the all orange bottom and middle. Wish I had the ad here I could take a picture and show that there is some gold in it also along with the gold or bronzish outline of the decal. These suggestions are great and very helpful. I have changed colors many a time because just could not figure it out on other pumps. That is why I ask. Thanks
Posted By: Bass Master Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 07:57 PM
Like the orange,

Brian
Posted By: petropumps Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sat Apr 18 2020 09:38 PM
Definitely orange but I like the idea of striping the door as well.
Posted By: keithia Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sun Apr 19 2020 02:05 AM
Love the orange as is!
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sun Apr 19 2020 02:24 AM
Craig...definitely orange!
Posted By: J, Micieli Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sun Apr 19 2020 02:37 AM
Orange door, blue frame around door.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sun Apr 19 2020 05:18 AM
Orange ! wouldn't stripe it .I like the workings of a pump to show ( stand out ) ,its what its all about for me .

I can hear DB now-- its your pump paint as you like.LOL!
Posted By: Ohio Oil Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sun Apr 19 2020 11:38 AM
If you can find any early examples of signage on the door ... I would consider making it blue and putting a yellow ethyl decal on it. Yellow would pop in the blue.
Posted By: Restoration-1 Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sun Apr 19 2020 04:05 PM
The Decal cuts into the strip like the door, so a solid door looks balanced and definitely orange.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sun Apr 19 2020 04:14 PM
Wow, beautiful paint work! Getting those diagonal paint lines to match up at the panel edges is so hard and you nailed it! Solid orange is the way to go, trying to carry the diagonal into the panel would be more work and not look good. Solid orange works because it matches the bases and other castings.
Posted By: AlbertaNorthStar Re: Colors question or thoughts - Sun Apr 19 2020 11:19 PM
I like the orange door myself, I think it flows nice with the orange on the base and lower bowl casting.
Posted By: Goober's Station Re: Colors question or thoughts - Wed Apr 22 2020 07:54 PM
The orange door looks the best in my opinion. Very nice job making it period correct Craig! Could you please tell me what is the exact width of your stripes in case I ever decide to restore one like that? Thanks!

Goober smile
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: Colors question or thoughts - Thu Apr 23 2020 01:29 AM
I am in the orange camp. Nice work Craig.
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Colors question or thoughts - Thu Apr 23 2020 02:06 AM
I believe that they are about 5 1/4" or close to it wide. Start from the back and come to the front so that they are equal. Painter and I had lots of fun lining this up. We had less fun though on the handle, got to complicated so just put it in one color.
Posted By: publicenemy1925 Re: Colors question or thoughts - Thu Apr 23 2020 02:17 AM
I must say that is one classy pump!!! I can't wait to see it done. I am one of those that would work on it till I made the stripe wrap the door. I like the orange the best.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk