Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: aajf Clam shell Globe letters - Tue Apr 07 2020 09:21 PM
Hello All,

I have a reproduction super shell CLAM shell globe. Does anyone know if decals are being made for the lettering instead of having the lettering painted???? Or is there anyone in the U.S. that paints the lettering?? Thanks, Andrew
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Tue Apr 07 2020 10:12 PM
Not aware of any lettering available. I'd probably use some 1/8" fine line tape and outline the letters and paint red. Trick is too not stretch the tape too much because it'll come up. I've done crowns but not the SHELL before.
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Tue Apr 07 2020 10:33 PM
Thanks Paul,

I appreciate the idea. I am trying to scramble to get it painted because my Dad is on his death bed and I am trying to finish the pump and take a picture with the two of us. I have owned this pump for 33 yrs and my Dad and I always talked about finishing it. Maybe I will have to buy another globe with the letters already done and sell mine. Thanks Oldgas for being such a good resource. I have met so many GREAT people on here.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Tue Apr 07 2020 11:29 PM
So sorry Andrew, wish the best for you and your Dad.
Posted By: Done4 Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Tue Apr 07 2020 11:40 PM
God speed and God bless you and yours.
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 12:00 AM
Thank you all!!! Attached is a pic from a month ago with my Dad and I picking up our LAST and oldest pump. An all original 1905 Wayne. It was in the same building for 114 yrs.
I am grateful for him getting me into the hobby when I was 8yrs old. I am 42 now:-) What an AWESOME Dad!!!

Attached picture Resized_Resized_20200307_154320.jpeg
Posted By: KZ1000 Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 02:02 AM
Just buy some red paint, paint the letters by hand, and get the picture you want. The paint can easily be removed if you don't like it, it will look just fine in the picture
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 02:41 AM
Great picture! I agree with the above post, I think you could free hand this with a brush and it would come out quite well. I recommended the fine line tape, but it would turn out nice without it in a pinch.
Posted By: buzzy56 Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 03:05 AM
Paul’s right fine good quality body shop line masking tape carefully applied does a fine job . Expensive but worth it .Did my engine covers with it and it turned out perfect just take you time . Glad to hear of your joint love of the hobby and the time spent pursuing it together .

Attached picture 15286517-ED3C-44D0-8DEE-1E7CC873D12B.jpeg
Attached File
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 04:36 AM
Thank you all. Those covers look beautiful!! The globe is a reproduction and pretty slipery. Is there anyway to prep the surface where the paint goes other than the light slant blasting idea?? Thanks
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 05:32 AM
There are chemical etching solutions for glass, like Armor Etch. Be hard to apply without taping or masking off, get all over. You can buy it on amazon. The repro's arent already etched?
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 05:43 AM
Andrew, Sorry to hear about your Dad's health, but even if you don't finish it, I'm sure your Dad is extremely proud of you for taking an interest in this hobby, just as he did.

Just slap any ol' red paint on it from a craft store that will come off easy, you can always remove it and fine-tune it later. Or just take the pic without paint. It'll be a great picture either way. And like I said, even if you don't get the pic, I'm sure he is very proud.

-Steve
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 09:30 AM
Hi Paul,
Thanks for letting me know about the glass etching solution. The repo I bought about 10 yrs ago and it came not painted and had never been etched.thanks again! P.S. I was checking out your facebook. What beautiful restoration work you do!!

Steve,
Thank you for the very loving thoughts and concerns=)
Posted By: T-way Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 01:50 PM
At one time you could buy just the letter water transfer decals from Time Passages.

They don't show up on their website now, but it might be worth a call.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 02:12 PM
Thanks for the heads up T-way. I will give them a call=)
Posted By: Craig Osbeck Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 02:31 PM
Some really nice people who came to visit. I have a clam if you would like to use it for the picture that is still good. Screwed up my back Tuesday, but might be able to drive it up. Can't remember where you are at though. Let me know.
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 07:26 PM
Craig,

How nice of you. It was real great meeting you=) How kind of you to offer to drive up, but thanks to T-Ways idea the problem is solved. Time Passages stocks the water transfer decal. $20.00 per side they are shipping it out priority. Thanks to all of you who contributed and shared the kind words. There are SO many GREAT people out there. Thanks to you all!!!!!
Posted By: T-way Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 07:57 PM
Just a bit of advice.

Do one side per day.

Bunch up a towel, lay the clamshell on it and make sure you throughly soak the letters.

Install each letter and daub off the excess water with a paper towel.

Then walk away until the next day and repeat.

This gives the first side plenty of time to fully dry.

Later . . .

Jim
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 08 2020 08:26 PM
Jim,

Great advice!!! Thank you!!!! Sincerely, Andrew
p.s. I still need to order the Rainbow Wayne 70 ad glass that I was talking to you about last year. I will get a hold of you after things settle down at home. Thanks to all!!
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Thu Apr 09 2020 04:57 AM
Originally Posted by aajf
Hi Paul,
Thanks for letting me know about the glass etching solution. The repo I bought about 10 yrs ago and it came not painted and had never been etched.thanks again! P.S. I was checking out your facebook. What beautiful restoration work you do!!

Steve,
Thank you for the very loving thoughts and concerns=)
Appreciate the kind words! Glad you found a good solution to the shell letters!
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed Apr 15 2020 04:10 AM
Hello All,

Thanks Jim for the referral. Debbie at Time Passages was so nice. Attached is the decal lettering i will use on my repo clam super shell globe. I appreciate all of you. You make Oldgas feel like a family. Much appreciated. Sincerely, Andrew

Attached picture 20200414_205920.jpg
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed May 06 2020 07:21 AM
Hello All,

As some of you know my best friend and Dad passed away a week ago today. Thanks to all to all of your kind wishes and support. The oldgas community is very loving. Our dream was to restore the very first pump we bout together over 30 yrs ago and take a picture with it together . A G&B T-176 that was Super Shell. Sadly he passed prior to getting the pump back from the painters. I just tonight finished 90% of the assembly. I need to find an nice pair of proper gallon markers. Attached are a couple pics.

Attached picture 20200506_000100.jpg
Attached picture 20200506_000027.jpg
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed May 06 2020 12:02 PM
Andrew, I’m very sorry to hear about your father. Like I mentioned above, I'm sure your Dad is extremely proud of you for taking an interest in this hobby, just as he did.

The pump looks great by the way.

Prayers to you and your family,
Steve
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed May 06 2020 01:43 PM
Thank you Steve. I truly appreciate your kind words=) Andrew
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed May 06 2020 02:33 PM
Andrew, My condolences to you and your family for the loss of your father. I'll echo what Speedracer said, I'm sure your Dad appreciated your efforts greatly and was very proud of you. The pump does look great.
Posted By: aajf Re: Clam shell Globe letters - Wed May 06 2020 06:05 PM
Jim, Thank you!!
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk