Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: josh g hadley Golden shell - Tue Dec 03 2019 01:54 AM
Hi Curious about variations of this can, some seem to have different lettering, this seems less common.

Also is there a good reference book for quart cans?

Thanks in advance!

Josh

Attached picture ECB8AC42-DA92-4ACC-970E-071AE7388F33.jpeg
Attached picture C817E7F1-00A0-469D-A1DD-67C08BDBBF7A.jpeg
Posted By: hawkike Re: Golden shell - Tue Dec 03 2019 04:30 AM
Older style Pecten.
Posted By: josh g hadley Re: Golden shell - Tue Dec 03 2019 05:25 AM
Ok thanks, I’m sorry I’m still learning but what’s pecten? Is there some good literature on quart cans by chance? Showing variations and such?

Thanks again
Josh
Posted By: hawkike Re: Golden shell - Tue Dec 03 2019 06:07 AM
Pecten is the Shell logo--some call it a Clam Shell-I am not up to speed on literature,i am sure others are on this site.
Posted By: minuteman Re: Golden shell - Tue Dec 03 2019 06:17 AM
There is nothing to research Canadian oil cans Josh.
It’s the old hands on learning method. Watch eBay sales
and auctions, go to swap meets etc.
Posted By: josh g hadley Re: Golden shell - Tue Dec 03 2019 06:51 AM
Thanks guys 👌
Posted By: coopersplace Re: Golden shell - Tue Dec 03 2019 04:17 PM
Hi Josh, Golden Shell and Silver Shell were Shell Oil Co. of Canada first sealed imperial quarts from the early 1930s. As far as I aware of there is only one version of this particular can with this image though they did use the brand name Golden Shell for quite a few years on later quarts. There is a recent collectors book, out of Quebec I believe, that has a large listing and pictures of Canadian imperial quarts. Personally however its downside is that there are a number of images of just the French side of the can which is not that informative to me as a unilingual collector. Cheers, Don.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Golden shell - Tue Dec 03 2019 08:56 PM
Aaron Hop (and others) are currently writing a comprehensive book on cans. I am not sure when it will be published and I’m not sure if it will include Canadian cans. But something to look forward to in the near future.
Posted By: josh g hadley Re: Golden shell - Wed Dec 04 2019 01:40 AM
Great info thanks Don, and I will be keeping eye out for book. Thanks Speedracer.

Josh
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Golden shell - Wed Dec 04 2019 07:52 AM
As mentioned above about Aaron Hop writhing a new book on cans, you can follow his effort by subscribing to "Check the Oil" magazine.

Jack Sim
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk