Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: advertologist giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 02:41 AM
your 2¢ on sign of subject ? .. ... cool

ebay # 283674725721 - (completed auction)

Attached picture 1giagasosn.PNG
Posted By: Porcelain_plus Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 03:27 AM
My opinion it doesn’t look right. The lettering is too sloppy. Graphics are sloppy . Look at a de laval porcelain sign of the same era the one with the separator You will see crisp graphics and great lettering. Also the chips around the edge and not around grommets. I saw a suspect Harley Davidson porcelain sign sold in his feedback. He sold the same hamms porcelain signs but they look right I’ve had a couple and they look legit. I wouldn’t buy it for even $300. It screams Argentinian fake . Just my opinion could be totally off but I’ve dealt in signs for a while . The topic comes up again the repops are getting good I wouldn’t shell out that kinda dough unless I knew the person , provenance, or were familiar with the sign. It’s like the pump plates and Pam clocks I estimate more than half are made up clocks with new faces and plates are just getting good. I saw some mobile plates I could barely tell they were fake. I figured a way to tell on plates . Take a known original weigh it , if the weight of piece in question is much less it’s a fake . The mobile special with the line around the border the fake is a couple ounces lighter than two real ones me and a friend had.
Posted By: Done4 Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 03:46 AM
Colors seem weak, I don’t know but it just doesn’t look right. But hopefully someone will chime in.
Posted By: MATT ALVAREZ Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 06:40 AM
There was an original sign posted on here in the past. May be it can be found for a comparison.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 08:07 AM
Here is a picture that I took myself. This sign was at Peotone in March. They were showing it off for an upcoming auction (I think CTO).

Attached picture 7FC12333-037C-4D69-A8CF-35C8492D0BB2.jpeg
Posted By: coltex Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 03:55 PM
phony, phony phony. SLOPPY ART. The giveaway it the sloppy lettering and irregular spacing. That is my 2 cents.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 04:09 PM
Either both signs are fake or both original. The graphics are identical between them. Sense they are both the same makes me lean legit.
Posted By: Wes Maxwell Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 04:23 PM
To me, there is a noticeable difference in the lettering of the word Mileage. I don't think it is original...
Posted By: SandPCollector Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 04:25 PM
Paul, The graphics are different between the two signs in a couple of aspects. If you look at the word "Made" in the first sign the spacing is irregular compared to the spacing in the second sign. In the first sign under the letter "O" in gasoline the lines on the tree are much thicker/heavier than on the second sign. Also, on the first sign the white outline on all the letters, but especially on the "G" in Giant is sloppier compared to the second sign.

I am by no means in any way a sign expert, but the first sign looks much more suspicious to me than the second sign.
Posted By: advertologist Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by Paul Bell
Either both signs are fake or both original. The graphics are identical between them. Sense they are both the same makes me lean legit.

one car has a radiator cap & the other doesn't
same car white line between running board & body is thinner
mounting holes both appear the same
ones in better cond.
pictures need too be put side by side too better analyze .. ... cool
Posted By: minuteman Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 05:24 PM
REPRO
Posted By: minuteman Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 05:35 PM
After looking at his completed auctions this guy is bad news.
Everything he sells is repro junk.
Posted By: Paul Bell Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 07:11 PM
Originally Posted by SandPCollector
Paul, The graphics are different between the two signs in a couple of aspects. If you look at the word "Made" in the first sign the spacing is irregular compared to the spacing in the second sign. In the first sign under the letter "O" in gasoline the lines on the tree are much thicker/heavier than on the second sign. Also, on the first sign the white outline on all the letters, but especially on the "G" in Giant is sloppier compared to the second sign.

I am by no means in any way a sign expert, but the first sign looks much more suspicious to me than the second sign.

Im seeing the same lettering between the photos, but a difference in the boldness, maybe because of the fuzzy photo? I agree with Jim the difference in the lines in the tree (between the car and the letters) points to it being a repro. I didnt see those earlier when I looked. They are thicker in the first photo and some are missing. I've done a lot of vectorizing of images, and those irregular thin lines do get screwed up in the process of copying an image frequently. And they are not obvious like lettering is. Good catch Jim.
Posted By: coltex Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 09:06 PM
Randy, I thought you were suggesting that the bottom one was real, so I really didn't look at that one. But in specific, the ebay one that you are asking about; take a look at the "T" in GIANT and the bottom of the "N". The spacing in the white on top of the "T" is off. It is off below the N as well. Now that I look at both of them, I think they are both repops. When you look at 99.9% of the production signs they will not be that sloppy. Also, the top sign "Made for Mileage" is also weak, sloppy, etc. Anyway, I probably would not buy either of them. Now I have given 4 cents. LOL
Posted By: Speedracer Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 11:15 PM
The picture that I personally took of the second one posted, went on to the Route 32 Iowa Gas Auction (not CTO as I thought) and sold for $28,000, before the juice. I sincerely doubt it is a repop (but I don't know this sign).

-Steve

Attached picture giant.JPG
Posted By: minuteman Re: giant gasoline sign - Mon Dec 02 2019 11:56 PM
The picture you posted Steve is an original sign that was at the auction
At least in my opinion
Now the Harbor sign that was beside it I thought
Was suspect.
Posted By: RedHat Re: giant gasoline sign - Tue Dec 03 2019 12:16 AM
Whole lotta money to have anyone on the fence in the Route 32’s case, yikes! At least it looks a bit better than the eBay one 🤷‍♂️
Posted By: Porcelain_plus Re: giant gasoline sign - Tue Dec 03 2019 04:35 AM

Originally Posted by Speedracer
Here is a picture that I took myself. This sign was at Peotone in March. They were showing it off for an upcoming auction (I think CTO).

As I said in my first post look at the holes chipping of the porcelain around the original none on the one in question . That signs been around a long time surely someone put it up and took it down several times . Usually the first place porcelain signs are damaged . Next is the edges the fakers notice that and chip it themselves. They weren’t smart enough to chip the holes . Since sometimes the first thing that comes up is old gas posts on google when I’m trying to find info on signs . In a way my post may be even teaching them to make the fantasy more believable. I just don’t think that the fakes will ever be crisp as the original porcelain signs if it looks sloppy And you have doubts most likely bogus.

I actually know someone who has this sign.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk