Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Speedracer Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Mon Nov 04 2019 10:50 PM
Hi all,

I am trying to identify this visible I bought. Any help would be appreciated. I went page by page in Jack's book and couldn't find a match.

It's an 8-sided octagon visible. I was thinking American or Guarantee, but the only 8-sided Americans and Guarantees have tapered sides (Milwaukees are all 6-sided). Some things to note: The base and top is an octagon. Anyone have any ideas? I'll post it in discussion, so we don't clog up BOTW.

Thank you all for any help,
Steve

Attached picture 16.JPG
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Fri Nov 08 2019 06:15 AM
BTT. Anyone have any ideas on what brand / model this pump might be? Thanks
Posted By: petropumps Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Fri Nov 08 2019 09:16 PM
Are you saying that those skins are not tapered? They look like they are in the photo but could just be perspective.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Sat Nov 09 2019 06:17 AM
Well i'll be….. Petropumps is correct. I swear in-person it looks straight. Must be the perspective of standing next to it. I went out and measured it. One of the octagon sides is 4.75" at the top and 6" at the bottom.

With that being said, all of the 8-sided Americans have ornate bases. Each side of the base has a concave profile, as do the bottom jar lids.

Guarantees look like they are all 6 sided. If some are 8 sided, they have round bases.

I checked the top to see if it was home made, and I am 95% sure it is factory made.

I am at a complete loss here. Any and all help would be appreciated. If not, I'll file it in the unknown category.

Thanks,
Steve
Posted By: TN Volunteer Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Sat Nov 09 2019 10:05 AM
Hey Steve,

I picked up a 5 gal 8 sided visible on the border of IL and IN roughly 12 years ago, mine was missing a base, had cast iron top similar to yours, had a black mare rotary pump, but gallon markers were cast aluminum arrows and the real odd thing was it had 1/4 inch conduit going to the light fixture. I posted a pic of it but can't seem to find the post of it. Nobody seemed to know what mine was. I will say that the base on your pump looks like a Milwaukee style base and the release lever looks like something that Milwaukee or American might do, I know most Milwaukee pumps are 6 sided. I will look for a pic of the 5 gal visible I had, will PM you if I find it.

Good Luck,

TN Volunteer
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Sat Nov 09 2019 01:09 PM
Thanks TNV, all help is appreciated. -Steve
Posted By: BrianH Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Sat Nov 09 2019 02:26 PM
Steve,
I flipped through the whole Gas Pump Bible this am. I agree with TNV - sure looks like a Milwaukee visible to me. The base is right, they made 8-sided visibles and I can't find any other company that had an octagon top like this one has besides Milwaukee. Maybe it's a Milwaukee visible that we haven't seen before?

BrianH
Posted By: petropumps Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Sat Nov 09 2019 09:20 PM
I would have said Milwaukee from the base and overall look but it’s not a model I’ve seen before.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Mon Aug 03 2020 04:39 AM
Hi folks,

Thanks for all of your help and input so far.

I took some more pictures of this pump and was hoping for some more opinions on this pump, if anyone wants to take a stab at it.

Unfortunately I don't have the handle. I measured the cylinder and it is 12.5 x 26". Please note the design of the underside of the top jar lid if that helps.

The handle shaft to the pump is located high on the skins, like a Milwaukee, except this is an 8-sided pump. I am not 100% sure the pump mechanism in the last picture went with this gas pump, however I bought a few pumps from this barn and this was the only visible without a pump mechanism in it, and I found this mechanism sitting in a corner of the barn 20 feet away.

Does anyone happen to own or have pictures of an 8-sided Milwaukee?

Thanks for any and all help, I truly appreciate all of your opinions.
-Steve

Attached picture IMG_5699 (2).JPG
Attached picture IMG_5700 (2).JPG
Attached picture IMG_5701.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5702.JPG
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Mon Aug 03 2020 04:41 AM
more pics....

Attached picture IMG_5703.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5704.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5706 (2).JPG
Attached picture IMG_5709.JPG
Posted By: Speedracer Re: Help ID Visible Pump (from BOTW) - Mon Aug 03 2020 04:42 AM
....and just a few more.

I am not 100% sure the pump mechanism in the last picture went with this gas pump, however I bought a few pumps from this barn and this was the only visible without a pump mechanism in it, and I found this mechanism sitting in a corner of the barn 20 feet away.

Thanks, Steve

Attached picture IMG_5710.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5712.JPG
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk