Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Bobbie678! GLOBE REPAINTING - Wed Sep 04 2019 01:52 AM
Hello, I am new to this forum, & being a semi retired sign maker, I had an old customer drop off 2 gas pump globes he wants repainted, a Shell one, & a Crown one. They are both originals, on milk glass. I will try to post a photo I have of both of them. They each have paint that needs to be removed, I was wondering if laquer thinner would work safely. The Shell one appears to have a layer of light colored paint or primer under the red paint, it almost looks as if it has been repainted once long ago, & was brushed on with a lettering brush. Does anyone here have any experience in repainting these, that you could help me out? Thank you very much.

Attached picture BOB_2721.JPG
Posted By: petropumps Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Wed Sep 04 2019 02:43 AM
If it’s the original paint lacquer thinner won’t remove it...you pretty much have to tape it off and media blast the paint to remove it all. After that, repaint is easy.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Wed Sep 04 2019 04:24 AM
If that’s an original red crown, all of the painted areas were etched at the factory. If it is smooth ‘as glass’ under the red paint it might be an original white crown that was painted red, which happened at gas stations, or by collectors over the years.

I like them as is and I wouldn’t touch them, but it sounds like you have to paint them for your customer. So make sure you apply the paint very evenly (thickness). Many people try to repaint these globes and they look decent until they are lit up. Once they are lit up they look horrible because the paint was applied unevenly. The light shows through at different brightness depending on the brush strokes and how much paint was used.

-Steve
Posted By: T-way Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Wed Sep 04 2019 01:27 PM
Tape off all the 'white'.

Sandblast off al the remaining original paint.

Clean and prep as required.

Set the globe over a light bulb and use a airbrush or small touch up gun to repaint. Using the lighted bulb to make sure you have even coverage and no blotches in the repaint.

Let dry and remove the tape.

Jim
Posted By: Catauladave Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Wed Sep 04 2019 05:36 PM
Preval sprayer works great for those that don't have airbrush equipment.
Posted By: Bobbie678! Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Thu Sep 05 2019 01:58 AM
It is smooth in the areas where the paint was worn off. Thank you all, I am going to try the laquer, if it does not take it off I will etch it off. What kind of paint would any of you use? I found an old post on here that suggested sign painter's paint, One Shot, which I have, & another fella said Transparent Krylon would work. Krylon almost seems too easy, what do you think? Thank you so much for your help.
Posted By: keithia Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Thu Sep 05 2019 02:18 AM
I have used Krylon on etched globes with good success. Don't use Rust-Oleum though!
Posted By: T-way Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Thu Sep 05 2019 02:35 PM
You can use Krylon - but you would have much better control with your One-Shot and an airbrush.

It's real hard not to get too much paint on something with a spray can.

And since these are supposed to be illuminated, you want even coverage.

Jim
Posted By: Bobbie678! Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Thu Sep 05 2019 03:03 PM
I do have an airbrush also. Thank you. Would Rapid Prep Wax & Grease/Silicone Remover be good prep? Maybe alcohol afterwards?
Posted By: T-way Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Thu Sep 05 2019 04:42 PM
Anything to remove the dust/grit left on the glass after blasting.

Clean the entire globe - inside and out.

Jim
Posted By: Bobbie678! Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Wed Sep 11 2019 12:50 AM
Jim, I found that the paint cannot be removed with Laquer, which I kind of thought it might not, based on a reply above. I have a sandblaster & I also have a Paasche Air Eraser/ glass etcher. I don't know which substrate I would use in the big sandblaster, but the etcher has a 6 oz bottle of pumice, plus a 2 pound jar of 220 grit white aluminum oxide. Would I just etch the whole globe, also cleaning off the old paint in the process, then clean it & mask what needs painted? The glass is all smooth both where it was painted & where it was not, it was not etched before. Or mask (& etch off the paint) only the area to be painted? I am sorry to ask all of these questions, I feel almost foolish to have to ask but I have not used my etcher for a long time, & this whole thing is new to me. I want to make sure it is done properly. I have decided to mask it off first with striping tape, then fill in with transfer tape. I am not experienced enough with rubber mask to try it, I think. I have red One Shot sign painter's paint to use, I am supposing adding hardener would be a good idea? Thank you very much to anyone who can help me. I am hoping to start them tomorrow.
Posted By: Speedracer Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Wed Sep 11 2019 06:59 AM
I would not etch the whole globe, if it will dull the glossy finish. I would only etch the areas that get painted.

You could also go out and find an original red crown that would already be etched. These globes are common and not too expensive.

Like I mentioned above, this was probably originally a white crown globe, if it is smooth and glossy under the paint. Maybe the customer would be happy with it in its original state, rather than altered into a red crown. Maybe he doesn’t know that it was never a red crown.

Are you sure that globe isn’t etched where the paint was? It’s very subtle. When I zoom in on your picture it almost looks dull and yellowed where the paint would have been. And that sure looks like original paint on there.

Does anyone know if the factory ever painted these globes without etching??? (I guess that’d be tough to prove, as I’m sure some slipped through the cracks, or if they had to rush production). I have 3 or 4 of these globes. I will check all mine when I get home and let you know.

Just my opinion though. Do as you wish.
Posted By: Bobbie678! Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Wed Sep 11 2019 03:36 PM
I think you might be right about the etching under the paint, when I look very closely that is what it appears. My question now, if it is ok, is, will I have to mask the area off to etch the paint off, then remove the mask, clean thoroughly all etching dust & residue off, then re-mask to paint? Or would it be ok just to etch closely to the edges of the paint to remove it, then clean & mask to spray the paint? It is really hard to see the etching area of the paint, where the paint has worn off. These are the globes he has given me, they are the ones I must do for him. Thank you again.
Posted By: T-way Re: GLOBE REPAINTING - Wed Sep 11 2019 05:15 PM
You should only have to mask them once - unless you sandblast them way too much.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk