Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: deacon Help with Texaco ID - Mon Apr 15 2019 06:58 PM
The pics are of Texaco Fire Chief and Sky Chief ID signs. They are made of plastic or perhaps vinyl and both have discolored over time.
The dimensions are 6 x 22 (approx) the ends are slightly curved (like to go over a door or panel) . There are two slots at the top of the each one.
If anyone knows the application or how to properly identify I would welcome the information. I have had these for over 50 years and would like to dispose of them
but need to know what they were used on and frankly what they are worth -a WAG would help

Attached picture IMG_20190415_34581 (1).jpg
Posted By: Alex Re: Help with Texaco ID - Mon Apr 15 2019 10:10 PM
I will take a stab at this. Since traditional ad glass is flat and, well, made of glass, and these are made of plastic and three dimensional, I am wondering if there wasn't some application like the pic I have attached. Those acrylic signs were often backlit. I wonder if these signs were somehow incorporated into that type of use? This is pure speculation.

Attached picture Texaco Lighting.png
Posted By: minuteman Re: Help with Texaco ID - Mon Apr 15 2019 10:44 PM
they were used on shorty gas pumps. Have a Husky one I took off a gas pump
Similar to a G&B 1016 pump from around 1960
Posted By: Alex Re: Help with Texaco ID - Wed Apr 17 2019 01:31 PM
This is why Kim makes the big money...LOL
Posted By: deacon Re: Help with Texaco ID - Thu Apr 18 2019 10:21 AM
My thanks to both alex and kim for responding i am inclined to believe they were used on gas pump panels- perhaps before pump plates were used
now looking for shorty pumps to get a better idea
i thank you both again
dann
Posted By: minuteman Re: Help with Texaco ID - Fri Apr 19 2019 03:17 PM
Here is the Husky one. These were used right after the husky porcelain pump plates were phased out. The pumps were heavy beasts for their size
so I left a bunch behind in the day. I know of a few still on farms, if I ever get that way I will get you a picture.
BTW Tom , I am retired so I have NO money...

Attached picture hi power.jpg
Posted By: deacon Re: Help with Texaco ID - Sat Apr 20 2019 11:39 AM
Thanks again Kim for the picture -- understand re retirement i'm there myself
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk