Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: model72 2 Gallon Ellisco Oil Can - Fri Feb 01 2019 01:56 AM
Has anyone ever seen or owned a 2 gallon Ellisco oil can? Until today, I had never seen one, so I purchased it. It has no vertical ribs and no oil company name embossed on the side or neck.
Posted By: Stu K. Re: 2 Gallon Ellisco Oil Can - Fri Feb 01 2019 11:35 AM
If possible, please post a picture of the can and tags.
Posted By: model72 Re: 2 Gallon Ellisco Oil Can - Fri Feb 01 2019 01:10 PM
I don't have the can yet, but here are photos. I can't read the info on the brass tag, but it appears to be an Ellisco can and the seller confirmed the fill tag inside the neck says 2 gallons.

Joe
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Posted By: model72 Re: 2 Gallon Ellisco Oil Can - Sat Feb 02 2019 02:55 PM
I must own a very rare 2 gallon Ellisco oil can since no one has seen one or owns one. Rare, but probably not that valuable.
Posted By: T-way Re: 2 Gallon Ellisco Oil Can - Sat Feb 02 2019 05:31 PM
Probably something cut down decades ago.
There is no need for those huge handles for a can that only holds 2 gallons.
Posted By: Loyd Pierce Re: 2 Gallon Ellisco Oil Can - Sat Feb 02 2019 06:20 PM
Originally Posted by T-way
Probably something cut down decades ago.
There is no need for those huge handles for a can that only holds 2 gallons.

I agree most all five gallon had one handle
Ten gallon had two handles.
Never have seen one with fill TAG most are stamped.
But great item to strike up a conversation.
Maybe a can made for Little People.
Posted By: model72 Re: 2 Gallon Ellisco Oil Can - Sun Feb 03 2019 02:14 AM
The Ellisco five gallon Endurance and Super Service side rack cans had 2 handles. You could order a 5 gallon Ellisco can with a single handle spot welded to the can top, an offset neck, and a swinging handle to hold the can while pouring.

Based on information provided by the seller (the 2 gallon can has not arrived yet), there is a 2 gallon "Fill to Here" brass tag soldered inside the neck of the can. I have searched all over the Internet and not found an Ellisco 2 gallon can. If the seller misrepresented the can, he will hear about it from me.
Posted By: model72 Re: 2 Gallon Ellisco Oil Can - Tue Feb 05 2019 02:07 AM
I received the can today. It is a 2-1/2 gallon Ellisco oil can. The Ellisco ID tag is made of tin, not brass. I have never seen an Ellisco oil can with a tin ID tag. There was never a fill mark soldered inside the neck. I have been unable to find an Ellisco 2-1/2 gallon oil can by searching the internet.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk