Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Fri Jan 19 2018 02:16 PM
I just purchased this Texaco Distributor Keyhole Sign. I was needing some help....what exactly is the story on these blank ones? Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks!

Attached picture 4E20CFE6-457C-4E71-AD9A-EA133ED99007.jpeg
Posted By: BryceG Re: Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Fri Jan 19 2018 05:35 PM
could just paint in the distributor name. or at least thats what i assume they did. or maybe leave it blank and it still serves its purpose as a truck door identification sign
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Sat Jan 20 2018 04:44 AM
I am going to assume something here. Signs were made in large quantities, so the name of the distributer was probably painted on the sign long after it was made. It would be to expensive to make one porcelain sign with the name. Correct me if you have better information.

Jack Sim
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Sat Jan 20 2018 09:04 PM
Thanks Bryce and Jack!
Posted By: 63shelby Re: Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Wed Jan 24 2018 05:47 AM
They were left blank intentionally so the name could be changed easily... why I'm not 100% sure ? . Maybe for areas where a "strong" business had not yet been established ? Or for starting companies that were waiting on the permanent ones to be made ? The vast majority will have the owners name permanently fired in the porcelain with "agent" "distributor" or " consignee". The blanks are my favorite, If for sale please PM me.......
Posted By: Jack Sim Re: Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Wed Jan 24 2018 07:11 AM
In the mid-1970s I was a Shell dealer. For many reasons I soon hated Shell and told them to stick it. I didn't even think of taking the name of my station that was above the door, I just wanted out.

Jack Sim
Posted By: MORE RUST Re: Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Fri Feb 15 2019 02:59 AM
I just purchased one of these signs today; mine is blank on the bottom and in the same condition as yours. I believe It has the same 3-41 date if I read yours correctly mine is still wrapped in cardboard not unpacked yet.
Posted By: Stephenwarren30 Re: Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Fri Feb 15 2019 03:31 AM
Since first posting this thread I have mounted my 2 keyhole signs in the garage, side by side. You can see the contrast between the two signs and envision what the Grace Distributor would have looked like in the blank condition beforehand.

Attached picture 1FD2FC44-7C6F-49D5-944F-FA802F07F53B.jpeg
Posted By: DCpate Re: Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Fri Feb 22 2019 02:44 PM
Here is a keyhole from Ardmore, OK found in a bulk plant. It is the early agent version but you can still see the hand-painted dealer’s name as was the practice with these “blank” versions.

Attached picture 1FAE856F-46DB-486E-A67A-ABC2C448B58A.jpeg
Posted By: cggas Re: Blank Texaco Keyhole Sign - Fri Feb 22 2019 06:24 PM

I’d like to get a blank one & have my name put on it. Anybody got a blank one there tired of looking at? Even a rough one?
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk