Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: bigandtall Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Mon Mar 13 2017 11:19 PM
Well, I was running low on cash toward the end of the show this past Sunday (meaning less than $1,000). Saw this sign that I thought would make a nice space filler on a wall in my shop. Looked at it several times in the bright sunlight and didn't see anything wrong until I got home, set it in my great room, sat on the floor level with it, and looked straight on.

The French side looks ok, although the red porcelain looks thin with scratches that don't seem right. But the English side, man, look at the letters in the word "DEALER" and tell me it's not a fake. Also the big red "E" on the same side. I really hope it's not, and never thought I'd have to worry about this for such a generic, unpopular, and large sign at a major show.

I paid well more than this is worth if it was original, and I did so because I put value in all the vendor's time and labor to haul, setup, and teardown all these signs show after show. I really appreciate that hard work given how bad my back is.

But if this is a fake then this hobby is in real jeopardy, as my generation is the generation all the older guys need to convince to get interested, and stay interested, to keep values up and stable.

All of the signs of this type I see on the internet have at least one letter, somewhere, out of alignment, so I'm hoping it's just a consistently scrappily made sign, but I doubt it.

Please provide your input/opinions on these pictures. Thanks.

Attached picture WP_20170313_002.jpg
Attached picture WP_20170313_003.jpg
Attached picture WP_20170313_004.jpg
Posted By: muntzman Re: Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Tue Mar 14 2017 12:31 AM
I would really be surprised if it was a repop. Those that make the repops do so to fill a demand. Here in Canada, in my experience the French signs and the bilingual ones sell for less than the unilingual English ones (Ontario/Quebec/Maritime guys correct me if I am wrong). As the Imperial signs are two sided (and not I believe two separate signs) the costs for repopping would be substantive. Keep in mind they fire each color and each side separately. If someone is going to repop a sign they are going to make what is in demand and what sells. I think you are safe, and can put it down to sloppy stencil alignment when it was made.
Posted By: wocopep Re: Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Tue Mar 14 2017 01:03 AM
Looks good to me. Have seen a few of these and dont believe yours to be a fake
Posted By: K W FRITH Re: Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Tue Mar 14 2017 01:12 AM
I think its OK.
Posted By: olddutchgas Re: Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Tue Mar 14 2017 01:31 AM
I was the seller of this sign and do not buy and sell phony items.

Aaron Hop
Posted By: West Coast B/A Re: Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Tue Mar 14 2017 03:12 AM
I'am also sure the sign is genuine for all the valid reasons listed above.
Bring this sign north across the border and i'am sure it would sell fast.
Posted By: bigandtall Re: Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Tue Mar 14 2017 11:11 AM
Originally Posted By olddutchgas
I was the seller of this sign and do not buy and sell phony items.

Aaron Hop

Thanks Aaron. Didn't mean to imply such. I never asked you if it was real or fake and at the time your were swamped with customers and said you had just taken it on trade, which to me meant maybe just a few minutes prior, sight unseen.

Was just bemoaning my own inability to notice and ask questions and notice anomalies ahead of time. The significantly out of vertical alignment letters had me seriously concerned. Now wondering how do I spot a fake if this isn't an indicator...

Thanks to everyone for your responses.
Posted By: powerlube Re: Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Tue Mar 14 2017 05:05 PM
Real. Most fakes are the figural ones.
Posted By: redindianguy Re: Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Tue Mar 14 2017 05:07 PM
great REAL SIGN CONGRATS
Posted By: Koby Re: Peotone, IL - Did I Buy A Fake??? - Tue Mar 14 2017 06:09 PM
Nice sign. I saw it at Peotone. Congratulations.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk