Oldgas.com Home
Posted By: nochevys restore or leave alone erie 80 - Mon Jun 13 2016 01:21 PM
Was thinking of doing a cosmetic resto of this pump. I then put my crusty bolivar gas globe on the pump. Should I paint the skins on this or leave it as is? If I leave it alone does anyone make worn looking decals to keep them in line with the look of the pump? Does anyone make bolivar decals???? a local NY company would like to keep it that way pump was originally a shell pump.

Attached picture erie 80a.jpg
Posted By: bsplichal95 Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Wed Jun 15 2016 03:18 AM
Leave it!
Posted By: hotrodfun1 Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Wed Jun 15 2016 04:53 AM
Leave it also.
Posted By: Terry Flannery Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Wed Jun 15 2016 12:50 PM
It needs a new life as it's been neglected, paint it.
Posted By: Steven C. Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Wed Jun 15 2016 03:00 PM
If you owned a station with this pump in front of it, would you go have it given a car show paint job? Do to it what the real world would have done to it.
Posted By: 59fairlane Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Thu Jun 16 2016 11:34 AM
It needs to be "freshened" up. Just my opinion, Would look great in that bolivar. I am sure someone could make a decal.
Posted By: Gasman84470 Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Thu Jun 16 2016 12:44 PM
"She" looks pretty good as is but she would sparkle if you cleaned her up in Shell/Bolivar yellow. Nice pump.
Posted By: Nicole Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Thu Jun 16 2016 12:59 PM
Its your pump so ya gotta please yourself. If you post the question you will get a lot of 'leave it be, it's only original once posts', because a while back the restore it group got a lot of flack, even DB, so are shy about saying.

I personally think it would look great restored in that lovely mustard yellow. And I am thinking it as a showpiece for my living room, not one of many somewhere else. But that might not be the yellow for the brand you want. Based on the big rust spot, was the pump originally shell with a shell shaped decal?

It's your pump and unless you are going to resell it anytime soon and therefore might want to leave the decision to the next owner, you gotta please yourself.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAHR7_VZdRw
Posted By: RetroPetro Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Thu Jun 16 2016 07:32 PM
Leave it as is, & get another pump for the Bolivar globe.
Posted By: LC 336 Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Thu Jun 16 2016 10:54 PM
The patina effect is far gone to much paint loss,in my opnion.
Freshen it up, it dosent have to be show car freash.
Posted By: huskybob Re: restore or leave alone erie 80 - Thu Jun 16 2016 11:04 PM
Originally Posted By LC 336
The patina effect is far gone to much paint loss,in my opnion.
Freshen it up, it dosent have to be show car freash.

I prefer leaving pumps original, but I have to agree with LC 336. It does need some help.
© Primarily Petroliana Shop Talk