RIP Jack,
Here's a post I enjoyed between Jack and Dick Bennett-
"Dick, you are absolutely correct about the Korean War. The fighting started in June, 1950, and ended on July 27, 1953 (thirty days after I gradutated from High school.

But according to the military records and the American Legion records, all military that joined or were drafted into the military before February 1,1958 were considered Korean War Veterans. This is the group I fall in. Even though I graduated from HS before the war ended, I did not enter the U.S.Army until Jan. 10, 1958 making me eligible for the GI Bill, and declared me a Korean Veteran. I served 3 1/2 years in the U.S. Army, three years at Ft. Leonard Wood.

While this has nothing to do with the embargo on the use of tin for cans, it does set a period of time that there was an embargo.
Embargos were not dropped the day the war ended.

I would also like to report that the U.S. Army did not seem fit to send me to Korea at that time. I was sent to Ft. Leonard Wood, Missouri where I spend almost 3 1/2 years defending Ft. Wood against a Korean invasion. I also wish to report that while I was stationed there no one Korean soldier was above to cross the Kansas border into Missouri during my guard.

One little addition to my story. While stationed at Ft. Wood, MO, I married a girl who lived 30 miles south of Ft. Wood. She was a former U.S. Army Nurse who actually served in Korea during the war.
I used to make trips to her family home in Eminancee, MO. The roads had yet to be paved, there was phone service, but electric had not yet reached the area. Just up the road was a general store with a visible pump. I am proud to say that I pulled in one day and had my 1953 Ford filled with gasoline from the visible pump.
The general store closed and my wife's brother purchased the property, but I was never able to find out what happened to that visible pump. I walked all of the fields around the property looking for it, but it was gone. From that day, I wanted a visible pump. I knew I would be restoring an old car soon, but I still wanted a visible pump to put next to it.

Jack"
Ron & Cathy