Originally Posted by Speedracer
Hi Dan,

Excellent idea for a great looking base. That base looks great and there is obviously a demand for it. I just have one request. Can you please put the date of manufacture on it, or the word "Reproduction"? RECESSED letters on the underside (or edge) would be ideal, raised letters can just be ground off. It would keep the values of originals accurate and prevent repops from being sold as originals in the future.

I'm sure I'm not the only one with this concern.

Thanks,
Steve

...I agree with Steve as well - but probably not for the same reason...there's been a lot of discussion as to whether such an impractical, fancifully-decorated base was even used 'back in the day'...given that curb signs were meant for use at the curb, there isn't much point in a lot of wordy product descriptions...folks driving by would see the sign, but not slow down to read the base - and the sign was at the curb, where loitering customers wouldn't be looking for a sales message...

...also, the selection of terms seems suspect as well: 'tune-up', but no 'Marfak Lubrication'?...think about it: how many p.o.p. (point of purchase) consumer display materials have you seen for 'heater hose'?...

...bases were marked to identify the base as company property, in case they were reused with another brand - not for a sales pitch...rarely (if ever) was the embossed lettering highlighted with a contrasting paint, as it wasn't there for the consumer...the base was there to keep the sign vertical; the sign was there for the advertising message...

Looking for better Gulf items: signs, globes, cans and paper - especially porcelain Gulf flanges, and Gulf A-38 & A-62 ad glass...