Hello All,
Was out and about today and a local junk dealer has a very attractive Bowser 585, very solid, he said it came out of a barn where it had been stored for years, and it looks it.
Here is my question. It has the faded remnants of a Shell Kerosene decal on the door. The pump's current prevalent color is a 60's looking mint green, sounds odd, but looks cool. There is also red and yellow showing in areas. I noticed on the top and sides the paint was really flaky, so I flicked off a couple pieces and it was yellow underneath. I realized then it had yellow porcelain top and side panels. This obviously explains the Shell decal on the door. The doors however do not appear to be yellow porcelain underneath. Should they have been? When I opened it up it looks like they were originally red.
It's a very cool looking pump, but I think the asking price is too high. Does the porcelain panels increase the value any? He has $900 on it and feels he can get close to it. It is complete, inside and out to my eyes. If a guy could strip the mint green off and show the yellow sides and red doors, it would be a nice Shell survivor pump. I'm not a pump guy really, as I don't have room for them, but this one is an eye catcher.
Thanks,
Darin

Darin Sheffer
Always looking for Mobil and Marathon items I don't already have!