I have set myself a very modest budget per sign--I can only afford small or obscure signs. And other than the first one where I went %25 above (it was related to a childhood memory) I have stuck to it.

DB would give me a hard time because I have been admiring the many sign walls that members have shared, and I want to 'decorate' a wall in my house with signs. It's the visual appeal and the stories that I like, so I guess in my home I am that dreaded word: a 'decorator.'

I am choosing what relates to my background, or just have an ascetic appeal (color or graphics) that I like. I am sure there is a gas pump in my future, but that will take some saving or I need to sell a painting or two over my expenses.

The nice thing about not having a particular direction, is that I can pass up a sign, because I have no concept of a rare or 'must have for a collection' sign. So hopefully will not have regrets about passing on any, as I am sure many members here do have. Ignorance can be bliss. What's nice about Oldgas, is that even if I miss an old sign, another one will be along that will appeal. I am not in a hurry to build up a collection.

It sounds like you might have collection envy--I suspect except for a few folks, who just want to 'outdo' the next guy, the common theme here is joy and excitement of finding that sign that appeals. So yours might be a longer journey until your kids have been launched into the world. But it shouldn't stop you from careful search, research and investment one small sign at a time... smile