I think it is like any other investment. I don't mean that you should look at it as a way to make money, but as a way to grow a collection.

Start off by purchasing the things that you can afford. It might be a nice Tokheim 39 or a Gulf pump plate. Not necessarily expensive items but certainly collectible. Buy things as you can afford them and yet still put money into the kids college fund. Take your time and go to the many gas and oil shows that are out there. Get to know the people in the hobby, they are a great group of people and an excellent source of knowledge and additional collectibles.

It may take a while but after a few years you will have enough pumps and signs set aside to be able to sell some of what you collected and buy something that you feel is more desirable. I've been at this for more than twenty years and have used this approach to work for me and have had a great deal of fun. My collection has grown, as has my envy, knowledge and number of great friends.

Using this approach you will be able build a collection and educated your kids. A win win if one of them becomes a lawyer you decide to accelerate your plan and take the armored car route.