Originally Posted By Rabbitman
The weather app that I use every day shows the earthquake activity and the activity out there in Oklahoma lately is really amazing. We are located about halfway between you and the New Madrid fault in eastern Missouri so I wonder how long it's going to be before we start feeling them. No fracking in our area though. I'm not a real believer that that's the problem in Oklahoma but I know that's what a lot of people are blaming it on. With oil production so low I wouldn't think the activity would be near what it was a year or two ago. At least I finally got all my globes battened down so unless one brings the shop down, but I should be ok....GB

I hear stories about that fault and it sounds like if it ever lets go it will be a bad one.

No it's all man-made here "fracking" has nothing to do with it, the tree huggers are all up in arms with fracking because of the chemicals they pump down the well at completion. ( and to be honest they might be right, hope not) It's the salt water injection that is causing the trouble. the last big oil finds around here have a ton of salt water with it, the water gets separated off and put in a injection well at a lower formation. back in the old days this water had to be hauled off by trucks from the well location which is costly, time consuming and very limiting on the volume you can handle. Now there are pipelines running from every well directly to the injection site flowing 24/7 and with the horizontal wells an unbelievable amount of water is generated, hence the problem. up until now was just kind of a nuisance, spooky at first but tolerable but this one last night was a different ball game. not going to lie it worried me, I just can't imagine what a 6,7 or 8 would be like.
Hope to never find out.

Jay Leeper