For clarification:

I guess its all in interpretation of the rule--
For the life of me, I can't see how an unannounced PM or email is anything but a private transaction and certainly not a violation of the posted rules?
As far as my transaction--My PM to the owner stated very simply that if he was looking for a valuation for the purpose of selling the pump, that I would be an interested buyer in the event that decision was made.
Because of my honesty in valuing the pump, he responded to my PM instead of any of the several others he had received. He asked what I would offer for the pump, and my reply was that because of possible hidden damage, I would be reluctant to give an offer, but would give a price range where I would be willing to buy the pump, picked up at the location, but any final offer would have to be with me in attendance in order to know what I was buying. After giving him a wide price range, he invited me to make the trip and do the dealing on the pump in person.
Knowing that there could certainly be damage that would prevent me from even wanting the pump, I contacted a good friend that was local and had him do the visual inspection and final dealing on the pump. A couple of phone calls took care of the final number, which was only $500 short of the upper range of my possible offer, and a deal was struck.
Price paid was certainly fair to the seller, and was at the high end of my estimate, but both parties were happy in the end.
The seller had several choices in which to market his pump, including ebay, but chose to ask me what I would offer, since I had given a fairly high estimate and been honest with valuation of a beat up gas pump that was lying in a junk pile.
I did nothing more than to let him know that I would be an option for him if he chose to sell.
I certainly don't see that as a violation of the forum, since it was done in a private manner. You certainly can't try to restrict communication between individuals, because of a mutual interest in an item posted on the value forum?
Restricting questions or offers WITHIN that forum, is done for a purpose and I believe that purpose is to provide validity to the responses given and to prevent bickering over possible offers given publically. This lends credence to that forum and promotes usage in a friendly and honest manner.
That's my opinion on the matter and certainly hope it isn't offensive to anyone.

Everything Cities Service
Specializing in old Gas Pumps
kwfrith@gondtc.com
Cell#-701-739-6133