You wake up each day and really never know what it will bring. There are certain moments in life that just demand a higher level of a attention and care to detail. The moment itself even demanding respect. There are things we do all the time, and for the most part, the moment in which we do them, is basically meaningless. But then there comes a day, a moment in time, when that same mundane task takes on a completely different meaning. Like the day of my Dad's funeral. A good shine on my dress shoes has always been a small pet peeve of mine. And I always knew there would come a moment when I would be putting a shine on my shoes to attend my Dad's funeral. And then that day came. And I will absolutely never forget shining my shoes that morning. It was a sad mement to say the least, but still a special moment that demanded attention to detail. A moment, that to me, demanded a certain level of respect. A moment that I shared with my Dad as I knew he too appreciated a good shine on your shoes. Like on a Sunday morning before church. I'm sure that's were I got it from.

So today I awake, and I find out that the hobby has lost one of it's patriarchs. A man I never even met. And a man that for some reason, I have come to really appreciate. A man who was a surprising pain in my side when I first found this hobby and this web site. I say a surprise because I didn't expect such responses. Despite my stupid questions. Who was this guy? And why did it feel as if he had it out for me? Well that man of course was Dick Bennett. And in time I think we came to terms. Or at least I know I came to terms with him. It took a while but eventually, as I matured in the hobby a little bit, I learned to feel his sarcasms. To see his wit. Which once the vale was lifted on his wit, wow, what a guy!! A lot of fun! And through it all, and most important, to see his knowledge. I saw him beat up on a few others, and I wrote to them and tried to comfort them a bit. Through my experiences with him, tried to get them to see his motives. That a certain level of respect was due him as well as other senior members around here.

So Oldgas will go on. And Oldgas will still be a great place with great people. But there is no way Oldgas can ever be the same. For the newbies that will never feel his wrath. You will never know what joy you missed out on!

Well, today, I take a moment. A special and repectful moment, and I shine my shoes for you DB! RIP Mr. Bennett and may the one true God, the God of the Bible, be with, and bless your family in this tough time.

Steve Coppens
Always interested in Sunoco items!
Really want a Sunoco National pump ad glass!!