Welcome to this month's version of Company of the Month. This month I will feature The Standard Oil Company of New York.
Better known as Socony. Hopefully I along with your help will be able to make this month even come close to being as good as
what the previous 2 COTM features have been.

Socony history dates
from the late 19th century as part of American John D. Rockefeller’s oil giant Standard Oil.
Rockefeller, along with Maurice B. Clark and Englishman Samuel Andrews, founded Standard Oil in 1870 in Cleveland,
Ohio after investing in an oil refinery in 1863. Following a trust agreement in 1882, the Standard Oil Company of New York
was created, the predecessor to Socony-Vacuum and later the Mobil Corporation. In the next decades, the company
spread its business to Europe and Asia, and employed the use of large ‘kerosene clippers’ to transport their material
overseas. 1911 marked the end of the giant consortium of 34 Standard Oil companies after an antitrust suit forced
Rockefeller’s conglomerate to split. Standard Oil Company of New York was now a spin-off company of the original Standard
Oil, and became known as Socony (an acronym for its full name). In 1931, further changes were implemented when
Socony merged with the Vacuum Oil Company to become Socony-Vacuum. Vacuum Oil Company was already selling
a product called Mobilgas, and Socony’s Pegasus logo was adopted (a remnant of an old Standard Oil logo); these
were the origins of the Mobil Oil Company’s name and logo. Socony-Vacuum continued expansion and mergers with other
oil companies in the United States and overseas. In 1955, the company dropped the 'Vacuum' and became Socony-Mobil,
then finally just Mobil Oil in 1966. After surviving the petrol crisis in the 1970’s and subsequent recovery in the 1980’s,
Mobil Oil merged with Exxon Corporation in 1998 to form the ExxonMobil, currently the largest integrated oil and gas
company in the world.

I am just going to focus this on the time that Socony was used as a brand from it's founding up through WW2.
after ww2 socony as a brand had largely disappeared, renamed or rebranded as mobil and mobiloil products.

Since I only have a small collection of Socony items I'm hoping I will get to see lots of goodies in everyone elses
collections. So please post it if you've got it!!!

That's enough history for now here are some things to get us started.

COLLECTIE_TROPENMUSEUM_Benzinepompstation_van_Socony_TMnr_10027191.jpg NY1-600x448.jpg flushing-grand_-socony-big_.jpg soconygastanks.jpg
Last edited by nochevys; Mon Apr 01 2013 04:17 AM.

Got Socony???

Tom