Originally Posted By: Dick Bennett
Originally Posted By: SC62
What?? It says vintage!! No??

Your trying to learn too much too fast. It ain't gonna happen over night! As with all of us older collectors we are still learning & see new/fake items daily.
DON'T BELIEVE EVERYTHING A SELLER TELLS YA.
#1 How was an item used/displayed?
#2 Look at Colors/Fonts.
#3 Check sellers past auctions. [do/have they been selling Fakes as real]
#4 Get all the Repop Catalogs & study what is available NEW.
#5 Check Online auction sites for Completed Items.
#6 Collect/Buy what YOU like, Buy the Best you can afford.

On #3 the seller may be new so that doesn't necessarily mean that they are selling fakes. Of course I've seen sellers on ebay selling both real signs and fakes. Meaning they have some real signs for sale right now and they have some fake signs for sell right now. Of course I see that their calling them out.

On #4 Probably should give him a link to the oldgas recommended reads.

On #5 can we list other auction sites?

Ask the seller questions in regards to an item. Also nobody knows everything so you need to listen to certain people and can even get advice from experts such as Matthews auction, Scott Benjamin etc. The reason I bring this up is I had people on here trying to tell me a bridgestone tire sign I had for sale was fake. Of course the big mouth person wouldn't take me up on the wager. And come to find out the exact same sign is in Amistadis book on page 107 I believe.

I would recommend matthews new book, scott benjamin/Wayne Henderson's book and if you collect gulf there are gulf books linked here on oldgas that you should take a look into. By buying the books by clicking on the books on oldgas it helps pay the hosting bills etc for this site to be up and running.