When I was little, I remember asking my mother on a number of occassions where she was going. If she didn't particularly feel like explaining herself, the standard reply was, "I'm going to Scipio." I understood her meaning, but it was years later before I understood the derivation. "Scipio" is a small (very small) town in central Utah (as opposed to the ones in Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, New York, or anything to do with a Roman General in the 2nd Punic War), a geographical oddity: two weeks from everywhere (Thank you "Oh Brother, Where Art Thou").

I happened through there a couple of weeks ago. What a wonderful throwback in time it was. Scipio boasts several old (abandoned) gas stations within several hundred feet of one another, two with pump island awnings extending from the buildings like I have only seen in pictures. The pumps are gone from those, but another roadside station's pumps were still in place. How many times do you think someone has tracked down the owner of this place to make him an offer on these old electrics? (See pictures)

Scipio Pump 1.jpg Scipio Pump 2.jpg
Last edited by Doug Livingston; Tue Jul 26 2011 12:43 AM.