I have been a member on this site since its infancy and original vs repo has been discussed so many times I can't count them. One question has never been clearly answered IMO, except for the affordability issue. Why would anyone even want a repo/fantasy item?

I fully understand the necessity for repo globes and the 12 inch signage for restoring a pump. Bought many myself when I used to restore pumps. A guy wanting a Polly pump is not going to pay for an original globe and decals...if they could even be found. So I have no problem with this segment of the hobby.

Now the unmarked or even marked larger signs, die cut versions and flange signs, globes, fake oil cans...these I do NOT understand why anyone would want one for their collection. "originals are too expensive". Well, so what? I don't have deep pockets and there are thousands of items I will never own because of cost. But you know what? I will never own them and I appreciate what I do have and can afford. I will not defile my collection by putting fake items into it.

I visited a collection once and commented on a couple of rare (and expensive) signs the guy had. I was very impressed until he told me they were repos. My opinion of the collection went from a #10 to a #1 regardless of what other items he had. I also lost all respect for him as a collector.

If someone can explain why a fake is desirable, please do as I have wondered this for years and just don't get it.