I usually don't transport a pump by laying it down but when a pickup has a conopy on it you don't have much choice. All my pumps that I do have a 1/2 plywood base on them about 1/4 wider than the base. I then attach a pallet using 2X2 about 4 inches longer on all sides. If the globe base is attached directly to the top by screws I cut out two 3/4 plywood circles, attach them together, then drill out the three screw holes for the globe, then put the screw in to hold the piece in place. I then build another pallet the same size and attach it to the top. Using strips of 1/2 plywood set at angles to attach the top to the bottom. I then use duck tape and attach the very small bubble rap to it forming a long string. I wrap this around all the pump to secure the top and bottom of the doors. This keeps the doors from vibratiang and chipping the paint. Do not attach the duck tape to the pump skin. I have transported several pumps this way and it has worked so far. Hope all this has made sence if not I'll go have another beer. Richard